Join our zoo community

Aguilas Jungle Park vulture attack!

Discussion in 'Canary Islands' started by Chlidonias, 31 Oct 2008.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Holidaymaker's terror at zoo vulture attack | UK news | The Guardian

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Obviously, this has been a shock to these visitors (and the attendant keepers and staff). Yet I feel to claim compensation for "negligence" from the park seems rather disproportionate. To me, it me it just shows how far removed modern age humans are removed from the realm of the wilds nor their implications (while not ignoring people's own responsibilities).

Example: I have participated in wildlife research as a volunteer this summer-autumn which put me in a position where wild animals might charge oneself. I make that choice, so I am responsible for my own actions ... for the implications that a wild animal might attack me and/or injure me, even with the ultimate consequence that I might die from this event. I was fine with it in summer-autumn and I am fine with that notion still.

3. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dear me, what a spectaculair review. A few months ago a Chili Eagle landed on a spectator at Avifauna Birdpark. He got a big scratch, and went of with the keepers.

They could have written the same report about it as this, it's just how people react and how the media blows it all up. Perhaps she was wearing glittering juwelry and he just couldn't resist. But if this goes a "terror" these days in the UK...

4. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Poor tourist, next time I'll been more concerned about animal attacks if I go overseas! ;)

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

How humiliating: to be attacked by a carrion eater

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

When posting the initial press release I was going to make some remark about how maybe the vulture thought she was a corpse but decided against it ;)