Join our zoo community

Waccatee Zoo (Closed) Waccatee Zoo permanently closes?

Discussion in 'United States' started by SusScrofa, 13 Sep 2022.

1. SusScrofa

SusScrofa Well-Known Member

2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Fantastic news if so, but the animals going to Zootastic Park isn't much of an improvement :(

3. SusScrofa

SusScrofa Well-Known Member

Local news outlets have confirmed the zoo is closed for good.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. biggest_dreamer

biggest_dreamer Well-Known Member

I was thrilled to hear this until I saw that the animals were just being transferred to a similar roadside zoo. In my head I was envisioning a seizure that would result in them being sent to suitable facilities, but of course that was way too optimistic and naive. Hopefully Zootastic starts feeling the pressure now, because as it stands this is an incredibly hollow victory.

5. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Well too be fair, it did say the majority but that doesn't mean all of the animals are going to Zootastic Park. Hopefully, some can at least go to other more decent facilities.

6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Zootastic has been improving, I believe their recent inspections were passed?

Also, an honest question, the article says the animals were moved to Zootastic to 'avoid being transferred to an accredited facility' but are animals from these places that close or are closed ever transferred to AZA facilities?

I assume the odd animal here and there are, but I have a hard time believing that the common or un-AZA-desired animals ever are transferred, animals like generic big cats and monkeys.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2022
  7. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Passing USDA doesn't mean much in terms of reputability. Beyond that, an inspector recently got removed for being buddies with some not so great people. Passing inspection is the absolute bare minimum.

Oakland Zoo recently got two tigers from a closed roadside zoo. If AZA zoos have the space, they take them, they just usually don't have the space to take on animals that aren't part of SSPs or anything.

nczoofan likes this.
  8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Great points, thanks for making them :)

TinoPup likes this.
  9. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

And even if it is an SSP species, taking individuals from a roadside zoo may still not be possible or advised, as they would likely be non-studbook, non-pedigreed individuals of minimal value to the SSP.