Join our zoo community

Walk through Enclosures

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by garyjp, 27 Jan 2015.

1. Morgan

Morgan Well-Known Member

Last edited: 25 Feb 2015
  2. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Raccoons and to a lesser extent coati would be a dreadful idea. The only thing that stops wild raccoons from outright mugging people is a healthy fear of people. I spend some time at exotic pet fairs and the like and I've had a few raccoons dive headfirst into my handbag looking for treasure, they will steal jewellery, hats, anything that catches their eye, and on top of that they're quite bitey. These are pet ones too that are generally well trained. I can only imagine those in a walk through with hundreds of people walking through an hour would probably become very cheeky indeed.

3. Lemurs

Lemurs Well-Known Member

Coatis would love it but it would be a bad idea. At Iguazu Falls in Argentina they’re on the paths around humans but they’re a bit too inquisitive and hungry.

On whether the animals enjoy it, I’d say it depends on the environment and how strict rules are enforced. Most in the UK seem okay but ones in other countries may involve animals being hounded more.

4. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yorkshire Wildlife Park has Squirrel Monkeys, Capybara, Mara, Azaras Agouti and Rhea in a walkthrough.

5. Chalklion

Chalklion Member

Whipsnade has Mara Peacocks Muntjac and Chinese water deer:D

6. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

I imagine coatis and raccoon walkthrough would be an accident waiting to happen! large intelligent animals with big teeth and sharp claws to match. red pandas could work but they are rather shy and so not much of a walkthrough animal really.