Join our zoo community

Walk through monkey exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by garyjp, 5 Sep 2015.

1. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

General question apart from Lemurs, Marmosets and Squirreel monkeys are there any other walk through monkey exhibits if so where and how was it ? Also what species could be suitable ? Could it be mixed ?

2. nicholas

nicholas Well-Known Member

There are quite a few. Sakis are often used and are unproblematic for the most part. They can also be mixed with both callitrichids and squirrel monkeys. Capuchin and woolly monkey females were/are a part of La Vallee des Singes and Apenheuls set up. At Apenheul red howlers and Hanuman langurs are also in walkthrough enclosures. Langurs have been tried at other places and failed.

Barbary macaques are often used in walkthroughs.

In terms of mixing with other species; it can be done and it has been done. Too many examples to list but callithrichids are often mixed with birds and iguanas and tortoises. Barbary macaques can be mixed with hoof stock.

3. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Repeatly mentioned at Zoochat: Guereza, Zoo Magdeburg and Zoo Münster.

BenFoxster likes this.
  4. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

In addition to the ones listed above, I have seen walkthroughs with Red Titi Monkeys at London also mixed with many other species including callitrichids, and Night Monkeys at Artis also mixed with with various other mammals including Sakis and callitrichids as well as reptiles.

5. garyjp

I am surprised with barbary Macaques to be honest was there inter action between monkey and people ? Why only female woolly monkeys ?
    Saki and capuchins i get .
    How about Vervet Monkeys or crab eating macaques would that work ?

6. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Walk-through barbary macaque exhibits are a dime in a dozen in German zoos, in particular smaller ones. Affenberg Salem is just one large barbary macaque walkthrough exhibit. Most of the time, the macaques are indifferent to the visitors if they (i.e. the humans) keep their distance and do not feed them. Strollers full of cookie crumbles and other sweets shouldn't be taken inside, though, due to posing too much of a lure for the macaques.
    Maybe male wooly monkeys are too territorial?

Last edited: 7 Sep 2015
  7. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Yes, male woolly's can be fairly territorial and are surprisingly strong. They also have a habit of peeing (yes, you read that right) on humans if they feel they present a threat to their territory or family. Males of the closely related spider monkeys are comparable in their behavior.

Here's a drunk guy that swam over to a spider monkey island in Sorocaba Zoo, Brazil.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=GohAq9-r3Hk (warning for people that don't want to see blood – bite in arm, but the guy recovered fully)
    I think that illustrates why at least males generally are unsuitable for walk-through exhibits.

8. garyjp

I thought Macaques being opportunists mixed with the public would be a bad thing generally .

9. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Moody Gardens has some cotton-top tamarins running around. Seems to work out.

BenFoxster likes this.
  10. nicholas

With primate walk-thoughs, there are a few species that generally works. Other species are aggressive more often. Hanuman langurs have been tried before and failed, as have guereza. Apenheul has hanuman in a walkthrough now, and there are a few german collections with guerezas.

Crab-eating macaques and vervets would surely work sometimes. It has a lot to do with the temperament of the animals in question, their history and the enclosure. I know a place in South Africa that has a gibbon in a walkthrough, but that is the exemption to the rule.

A species I'm curious about is geladas. I'm pretty sure it would be a great walkthrough.

BenFoxster and Sarus Crane like this.
  11. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If there's one thing I know is that a walkthrough exhibit with baboons would be a terrible idea; this group is powerful and aggressive by nature. Heck, I've hardly ever seen them in multispecies environments.

12. nicholas

Really? Keepers routinely enter the exhibit with geladas and some zoos often take guided groups inside the enclosures. I don't think I've ever heard of aggressive behavior from geladas towards other species in mixed exhibits, please enlighten me if you have other info.

I don't think we'll see a gelada walk through any time soon. The potential risks are probably too great, but baboon aggressiveness is very exagerated. Large canines does not make an animal aggressive.

BenFoxster likes this.
  13. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Of course it is necessary to choose animals that are not aggressive for walk-through exhibits, but it is not sufficient. Never forget that human beings are quite capable of being aggressive or of appearing to be aggressive to an animal. What will happen if a young child playfully runs away from its family and towards an animal? Unless you can be sure that the animal will retreat and will have sufficient space and structural features to do so - your walk-through exhibit will be unacceptably risky.

Alan

14. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Baboons (especially males) are often quite aggressive. If their aggressiveness has been exaggerated can be discussed, but they would definitely present a big risk in a walk-through exhibit.

I think the real confusion here is that the gelada really is a very different animal; evolutionary, ecologically, socially and behaviorally. Geladas aren't baboons. Geladas can be (and are, e.g. hyrax and blue-winged goose at several places, most famously Bronx and Zurich; related old thread) mixed with smaller species that would turn into prey/toy for baboons pretty fast. That being said, geladas are sizable monkeys with some serious weapons (those fangs!). Despite their relatively placid nature, they definitely have the potential to cause real damage. For that reason alone I doubt we'll see a walk-through exhibit with the species, even if would present less of a risk than baboons.

15. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

In my experience with Geladas in the wild, they weren't very aggressive at all. I got within metres of many large groups of Geladas in the Simien Mountains without a problem.

In a zoo exhibit where animals are not afraid of humans and could easily be cornered and lash out would be a different situation of course.

BenFoxster likes this.
  16. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

After having visited Bronx Zoo a couple of summers ago... I believe you're right! Geladas seemed really chill with the ibex and hyrax they shared their paddock with. However, I believe that the most dangerous primates in a walk-through enclosure are the terrifying flash-photographing, loud-sounding, glass-knocking, junk feeding, Prada-wearing HUMANS!!!! (dramatic music sting)

BenFoxster likes this.
  17. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really think that Geladas could make a great walk through exhibit. But like stated before, people who don't know much about the species would freak out after seeing the canines and some kids might end up in a Harambe situation (getting hurt or bit) after maybe trying to touch or chase one. It's a great exhibit concept for those like me who understand the species but for most other visitors it would cause the zoo problems.

18. Sarus Crane

Now encountering giant Chacma or Olive Baboons in a walk through exhibit would make my day! Baboons are so underrated and have so many admirable qualities and lead such interesting lives.

19. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Baboons are the worst primates to be close to in my opinion, they really can't be trusted and will steal anything from you if they think it might be tasty, together with their huge canines. Geladas are a much more relaxed species, though unfit for walkthroughs I would say, but at least they can be trusted not to steal food, as they are interested in grass only :p

20. Sarus Crane

Really? I thought that baboons stealing food and stuff is a learned behavior that has become habitual within a troop once it has learned that humans are sources for food and that usually food isn't allowed in walk in enclosures. Only the keepers would be feeding them.