Join our zoo community

Walkthroughs and free-roamers

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Mr Gharial, 11 Jan 2021.

1. BerdNerd

BerdNerd Well-Known Member

When I visited the Taronga Zoo, there were Australian Brush Turkeys walking all around the zoo, especially near the entrance. I’m not sure if the zoo owned them or not, but one of the birds I saw had a metal identification ring on its leg.

There are also way more free-roaming ones at Featherdale Wildlife Park. In fact, when I went to go to the bathroom there, there was a baby one sitting in the stall!

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  2. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A lof of primate species can be kept in walk-through enclosures. "'ve seen a lot of lemur species and tamarin/marmoset species, white-faced saki's, squirrel monkeys, red howlers, barbary macaques, grey langur and colobus.

@EternalPigeon brush turkeys are everywhere in Australia. Wild turkeys seem to love zoos as food is easy to obtain there.

3. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

The only walkthrough exhibits I've seen were three at Hartley's Crocodile Adventures, one with kangaroos and wallabies, an aviary with several birds and another aviary with birds of prey. Unless aquariums with tunnels through them count, in which case I've seen plenty, mostly with sharks, rays and other large fish but some with smaller reef fish.

4. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Those are more semi-walkthroughs. You get very close-up, but you're technically not in the actual enclosure

Does anyone know of a freshwater aquarium tunnel?

5. Penshet

Penshet Well-Known Member

Vienna has one, though imo it's one of the poorer tanks in the aquarium.

6. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Quite a few European zoos have walkthrough exhibits with birds of prey, including some rather large species! Owls, hawks, smaller eagles, vultures, and possibly even condors are used in these exhibits from the photos I've seen.

Also I seem to recall a walrus walkthrough of sorts in China, which was closed after a visitor was killed, if I am remembering correctly...

Canihelpyou? likes this.
  7. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

Cairns Aquarium has one, through a tank with native freshwater turtles. I uploaded a picture of it Freshwater Turtle Exhibit - ZooChat

8. Mr Gharial

Are there any pictures of that? (The enclosure, not the killing)

FBBird likes this.
  9. Girafarig

Girafarig Well-Known Member

Lehigh Valley has a walkthrough with red kangaroos and Columbus has the Asian aviary with I believe Reeves Muntjac.

10. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Walrus - ZooChat
    I'm not sure if you want to go in....

Sausagefingers likes this.
  11. Mr Gharial

I kinda do, the people that died fell into the water. If it was designed differently to not have the path directly over the water I think this could really work

12. Great Argus

Suit yourself, I'm not keen on walking among animals weighing 1-2 tons that I don't know and are potentially quite dangerous. :p

13. Mr Gharial

Well, emus and kangaroos can be very dangerous. But they're safe for walkthroughs. Shoebill storks and even deer can be dangerous, But they're safe for walkthroughs. I think that most non-predator animals are basically safe for walkthroughs as long as the visitors don't bother the animals

14. Great Argus

"Generally inoffensive" might be a better term than "safe". There's stories on here of people getting attacked in walk-throughs by everything from lemurs to pigeons to spoonbills! :p
    Lorikeet walkthroughs are popular, though people get nipped and bit quite a bit. Animals attacking people is a potential issue with pretty much anything but butterflies. Just some species are more risky than others. We'll have to agree to disagree on the suitability of walrus for walkthroughs. (And technically they are carnivores, even if shellfish is the main diet ;))

15. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have touch a walrus before, if they are trained animal they could be okay I guess.....

16. chaotic_froggie

chaotic_froggie Well-Known Member

*flashback to when two lorikeets wriggled inside my hoodie at the same time*

17. Mr Gharial

I meant predators to humans. Meerkats and other mustelids are probably safe for walkthroughs too, same for skunks, procynids, birds of prey and smaller reptiles

18. Mr Gharial

*Flashback to lorikeets biting my ears*

19. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

20. Great Argus

A trained walrus and working with a trainer I have much less concern. Just meandering through the exhibit is another.

Meerkats and mustelids are definitely not safe for walkthroughs! They are already difficult to contain and can be unpredictable. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    Procyonids too can be temperamental, besides also being escape artists. Not a safe option.
    Skunks are better, but I feel they are best left out of areas where they could be confronted and bothered by guests.
    (Furthermore I believe you have to have your rabies series before directly working with anf handling those groups as a precaution, at least for reputable facilities. Chances are very low, but the risk still stands.)