Join our zoo community

Walkthroughs and free-roamers

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Mr Gharial, 11 Jan 2021.

1. Jambi

Jambi Well-Known Member

Of the zoos I've been to recently:

- Safari Zoo Cumbria - they have a walkthrough called "Worldwide Safari" that has a lot of different species living together: lemurs, kangaroos, wallabies, emus, ducks and geese, capybaras and muntjac deer. From there, there's a large section of the zoo where lemurs, capybaras and a selection of pheasants are completely free-roaming, this section also has a colony of black-tailed prairie dogs that aren't contained, but remain in one wide grassy area. There are also free-roaming Indian peafowl in another part of the zoo, and two large walkthrough aviaries, one with vultures and the other with a selection of different birds, including parrots and spoonbills.

- Lakeland Wildlife Oasis - there's a butterfly walkthough, which also includes a leafcutter ant colony with a rope set-up for them to climb on, though they had no butterflies during my last visit, they've mostly died off and the zoo is holding off on getting more until the weather is warmer. Their Tropical Hall where most of the reptiles and amphibians are kept has free-flyng Javan sparrows and Rodrigues fruit bats, with a wire mesh on the ceiling for the bats to hang from. Finally there's an African walkthrough aviary featuring hornbills, guineafowl, whistling ducks and a few other African birds, but on my last visit it was closed due to bird flu.

- Edinburgh Zoo - at least one lemur walkthrough (possibly more but I can't remember), a wallaby walkthrough with swamp wallabies and grey kangaroos, and they used to have an aviary called "Brilliant Birds", which has now been re-worked into a walkthrough featuring sloths and armadillos.

2. LycaonSekowei

LycaonSekowei Well-Known Member

Would Emus work? I'm making an Australian area, and I want to add a kangaroo walkabout that also has Red Kangaroo's and Bennett's Wallabies.

BenFoxster likes this.
  3. Bisonfan

Bisonfan Well-Known Member

to be honest i don't know but you said your making an australia section, do you have a fantasy zoo thread?

4. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain this has been done a few times before, so it should be fine.
    If you don't know, there's no reason to respond ;).

Last edited: 13 Jan 2022
    Mr Gharial and IndianRhino like this.
  5. ParathePineapple

ParathePineapple Well-Known Member

Toledo Zoo has a large indoor rainforest walkthrough with poison dart frogs, ground doves, and day geckos.

iluvwhales and Bisonfan like this.
  6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Also snails, butterflies, and hummingbirds.

iluvwhales and ParathePineapple like this.
  7. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone. There are various examples of wild or free-roaming (both in and out of walkthrough exhibits) animals at Latin American zoos. Some of them include butterflies, iguanas, tortoises, terrapins, two-toed sloths, porcupines, agoutis, marmosets, squirrel, capuchin, howler and spider monkeys, jaguars, ducks, shelducks, pochards, teals, geese, swan, guans, piping guans, curassows, peafowl, flamingos, pigeons, ibises, toucans, kingfishers, seriemas, cockatiels, parakeets, parrots, macaws, budgerigars, seedeaters, tanagers, cardinals, and cowbirds.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2022
    Canihelpyou? likes this.
  8. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

There was a brief period of time in the history of The Baltimore Zoo, shortly after the perimeter fence was first erected and the zoo enclosed, when a lot of ungulates were allowed to roam free on the grounds, essentially turning it into one giant walk through exhibit. Among the species loose in the Zoo were blackbuck, guanaco, and red deer. When Arthur Watson retired and Steve Graham took over as Director, one of Graham's first actions was to get rid of the free-roamers.

RedRiverHogman likes this.
  9. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Jaguars?! Seriously?

10. Mr Gharial

This works for sure, but remember that you can only put female kangaroos in a walkthrough. The males are too aggressive

11. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

I've seen/worked with male red kangaroos in walk throughs without issue - on occasion, I've seen visitors watching males kick-boxing just a few yards away. Hand-reared males in walk-throughs are definitely a bad idea, based on first hand experience.

BenFoxster likes this.
  12. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

I have seen walktroughs with bachlor groups of males. With no real problem

BenFoxster likes this.
  13. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know walk-troughs here with breeding groups of red kangaroos, eastern grey kangaroos, swamp wallabies, all including adult males, without issues.

14. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Some brazilian zoos such as Zooparque Itatiba and Parque das Aves are located in the Atlantic Forest, so it's not impossible for them to appear despite the scarcity of the species in this biome. Not so long ago a mother and her cub invaded Parque das Aves and killed 172 flamingos.

iluvwhales likes this.
  15. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Hey, Mr. Gharial. Felipe has just explained about the presence of jaguars at some Brazilian zoos. As he said, Parque das Aves is located inside the Iguazú Falls National Park, where a small number of jaguars live. Sometimes, the jaguars end up roaming through the park, like in the day where a female and her cub attacked a flock of flamingos and killed most of them.

FelipeDBKO likes this.
  16. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

If anyone wants me to list where all these animals can be seen, please tell me.

17. RedRiverHogman

RedRiverHogman Member

Sure

18. Mr Gharial

birdsandbats likes this.
  19. carl the birder

carl the birder Well-Known Member 5+ year member

NEVER bean here but herd of it a walktru with Bactrian camel, fallow deer, water buffalo, sika deer, miniature zebu and chital deer, aparently you can bike tru it to
    Skovriddersletten in Knuthenborg - ZooChat

iluvwhales and Bengal Tiger like this.
  20. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Scovill has peacocks (duh), chickens, and domestic Muscovy ducks.