Join our zoo community

Walrus: captive breeding success rates?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by aw101, 11 Aug 2008.

1. aw101

aw101 Well-Known Member

I am curious as to what zoos have bred walruses and also what zoos or aquariums exhibit them. So far I know of:

Seaworld San Diego
    Seaworld Orlando
    NY Aquarium
    Sea Life Park Hawaii

Anyone know if they breed well in captivity or are they a hard species to breed?

2. Trebaruna

Trebaruna Well-Known Member

The "dolfinarium" in Harderwijk (the netherlands) bred walrusses succesfully a couple of times. They now have group of 5 or 6 animals i believe.

3. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

These are the informations I have about breeding walrusses in captivity :

The world first breeding of them was May 26,1975 at the Marinleand of the Pacifc in california. The Father, Farouk, fatherd 5 calves with two females at this park, but only two survived.

They got new walrusses, but they never bred them again. In 1987, the Marineland was closed and the walrusses came to Seaworld San Diego. The same year, the female gave birth to a calf, it had to be raised by hand.

1993, another walrus was born at Seawold and raised by its mother.

1991, Cincinnati had a walrus birth also, but the baby died one and a half month later.

The dolphinarium Harderwijk has bred three walrusses, two of them are still alive.

I have no information about walrus breeding in orlando.

At the New York aquarium, last year in june, a walrus was born and raised by its mother.

I don't belive that walrusses are hard to breed, but most zoos are keeping to less of them, they should keep bigger groups.

4. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Walrus indeed suffer from basic problems with husbandry. They easily get tusk problems (they dig in sandy sea bottom in nature, so no wonder). But apparently this can be solved.

I wonder how likely are new walrus to come to zoos? They are still hunted in the Arctic, so perhaps some cubs could also be imported?

5. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Walrus I think could come in the same way as seals, usually from injury, zoo's nearby could recieve the Walruses for a short time, but like some seals that are rescued they become human dependent in that short time. I do hope breeding can grow with the Walrus I really admire about them is that in an animal face-off episode the Walrus won against a polar bear.

6. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Don't forget Moscow and Point Defiance Zoo. ISIS even lists some more, although I'm not sure whether some of them are still valid or the usual zombie data.
    Current hunting in the planned way shouldn't result in walrus orphans; and if so, it wouldn't be as easy for zoos today as it was before, but rather a hard fight with red tape...And there are usually not many nearby zoos in walrusses' original habitats...;)
    Keeping walrusses isn't cheap either; think of the masses of seafood required.

And sorry to say that, but "Animal Face-Off", even from its very basic idea, is one of the worst TV shows ever created. Insert apt "explicit" word here...

7. aw101

aw101 Well-Known Member

Why don't zoos and aquariums provide them with a softer substrate for the bottom of their tanks? I know that Wild Arctic in both Seaworld SD and Orlando have rocks as substrate. I also found the exhibit for the walruses in Seaworld Orlando to be a little too small.

8. Sun Wukong

Re: softer substrate-one problem is that walrusses are great in "suck"ing; at least some specimens have sucked in rubber sealing,plastic particles etc.in the past-with the common result of the current zoo veterinarian desperately trying to get that out of the walrus again...

9. dragon(ele)nerd

Would the basic conecpt of state of the art seal sanctuaries have good home? Of course with the Walrus adjustments, or would it be just too unsuitable?

10. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I've seen walruses at San Diego Seaworld, Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma (3), and at Indianapolis Zoo (3) as well. I believe that only one of the 7 walruses actually had tusks, as they are often infected in captivity and are subsequently removed. Pittsburgh Zoo has an exhibit built all ready for walruses, including a fabulous underwater tunnel for visitors, but it is going to be 2009 or even 2010 before walruses are available. I have no idea where they are getting them from...

11. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

There has been just little success with breeding walrus. Here is a lineup of the North American Population as of 2007:

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom 1.2
    Sea World San Diego 1.4
    Sea World Florida 3.1
    Indianapolis Zoo 2.1
    New York Aquarium 2.2 (1.0 died recently) so current number is 1.2
    Sea World San Antonio 1.1
    Pt Defiance Zoo 1.2
    Quebec Aquarium 1.2

12. dragon(ele)nerd

I jope one day, I don't known when but one day that Walruses will become plentyful in captivity,

13. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Somebody wrote that late Karl Hagenbeck had a secret trick which prevented walrus in Hamburg zoo from damaging their tusks. I wonder if the trick was that pool has extremely shallow sides?

Nowadays, it should be possible to design the pool with bottom filled with sand.

14. Sun Wukong

Sand is in many aspects not the perfect substrate, especially in regard to the mentioned swallowing/obstipation aspect...

More and more, I think I have to go to Moscow Zoo in the next future...;)

15. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What walrus died at the New York Aquarium? It wasn't the calf was it?

16. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

No, it was the breeding male.

17. zooworker

zooworker Well-Known Member

Look to be honest with you, being a sea lion/seal keeper my self i really don't think that walruses should be in captivity, just because much like the Beluga whale enclosures i have seen they are far to small. I've worked with Walruses (and belugas) on exchange to Pt Def, Indi and Sea world san diego and to be honest with you it just ain't needed. Unless zoo's can house them in large social groups in decent enclosures (with safe and large holding facilities included i don't think they should be in captivity.

18. zooworker

zooworker Well-Known Member

I am more impressed with Pittsburgh's facility but still not big enough for this large animal, also does anyone know the number they wish to keep?

19. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

using substrate in a walrus enclosure is NOT a good idea. it would have to be a thick enough layer for the walrus to dig in, without risking damaging the bottom of the tank. this would clog in no time creating a great feeding ground for germs and bacteria.

every marine mammal is a lot messier than any fish you can think of.
    and walrus are the worst of all: I've seen their filtration in harderwijk. 5 walrus use more than double the filtration than the dolfins. and fyi: harderwijk has some 20 of those in 1 tank that's also quite a lot bigger than the walrusses space.

20. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I only know In Europe 3 aquariums or zoos that kept walrus, Moscow, L ´Oceanografic (Valencia,Spain 1.4) they come from Moscow, and other aquarium in the Netherlands (sorry I don´t know the name).