Join our zoo community

Walrus currently in captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by johnstoni., 26 Aug 2011.

Tags:
  1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sorry, forgot one : Tierpark Hagenbeck Gallery Germany

2. callorhinus

callorhinus Well-Known Member

Moscow walruses mentioned here, except female Zhanna, arrived to Tierpark Hagenbeck (Hamburg, Germany) in March 21. They are keeping company for female atlantic walrus Neseyka, who was arrived there in June 2012 from Udmurtia zoo (Izhevsk, Russia). Newcomers feel well, they are in the exhibit pool already. Their Russian keepers will stay there for 2 or 3 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2016
  3. callorhinus

There is a Tierpark Hagenbeck poster as shown below. I don't know the year it was made, but it was not much time ago. The image of a walrus in this poster is not the image of Antje (at least - adult Antje). I have seen this walrus photo related to another zoo, but I cannot remember that zoo and the name of walrus. Can anybody help me?

Attached Files:

4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I saw four on my visit last week. :)

EDIT: *five*

Last edited: 26 Jun 2013
  5. callorhinus

Sorry, bad reading :)

6. devilfish

You're absolutely right! I saw five. :)

Thanks. :eek:

7. callorhinus

By the way, Neseyka is going to return to Russia in the autumn. So those who want to see this quite big group of walruses, you should hurry.

8. devilfish

I saw one walrus at Istanbul dolphinarium yesterday, and the other is off-show.

9. bashildy

bashildy Member

Update for December.

SEAWORLD SAN DIEGO

Inventory:
    1.0 - Obie, orphaned in 1986 from Alaska. Blind as of 2010. Shaved Tusks to half length ( Stabbed himself on accident a few times ).
    0.1 - Seahook. orphaned in ~1978. Blind as of 2011. No Tusks ( Removed for infection ). May be oldest currently in captivity, I've seen no records of inventory from pre-1980 elsewhere.

Former Inventory:
    0.1 - Kaboodle. b. 2003 ( Obie + Kitkatasha ). No Tusks., Transfered to Seaworld San Diego, 2012.
    0.1 - Kitkatasha, breeding partner with Obie. Died, 2010.
    0.1 - Tessa , Transferred for breeding to other facility, 2009. Unknown residence or status.

10. Butch

Butch Active Member 10+ year member

Walrus in Bangkok Safari

I read with interest your Walrus data. Do you know anything about the Safari World, Bangkok animals, maybe 2.2 ? They must have arrived with four Beluga whale around 2007/2008. They can be seen on you tube, again one with nice tusks. Perhaps these came from the company behind the Moscow Dolphinarium, which I visited in 2001.

11. callorhinus

Natasja, 40-years-old walrus female of Dolfinarium Harderwijk, passed away.
    Walrus Natasja overleden | Dolfinarium

Dolfinarium keeps now male Nikolai (18) and three females: Olga (32), Rossita (18) and Raisa (9).

12. whalrus

whalrus Member

Did SeaWorld Orlando and San Diego ever get the captive born females they applied for from Harderwijk and Kamogawa last year?

13. callorhinus

Dolfinarium Harderwijk keeps the only captive born female Raisa. I think she is still in Harderwijk but she could be exchanged to Olivia (born in Moscow in 2008, now lives in Tierpark Hagenbeck, Hamburg, Germany).

14. whalrus

whalrus Member

Thank you callorhinus.

The 5 year old captive-born female SeaWorld requested to import from Kamogawa in 2012 was Mina, born to Mick (born to Mook and Tuck) and her father Tuck. But I don't know the name of the then 2-year-old 2010 female pup. And I don't know if either female ever left Kamogawa. Can anyone fill in the blanks here?

15. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for continuing to keep the info up to date! The first time I went up to Brookfield was to see the walruses, though they haven't had any on display in quite some time. Nice to see they're still being bred and doing well elsewhere.

16. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Mina is still at Kamogawa Seaworld. In 2012, Kamogawa send the Bull Rock to Hong Kong Oceanpark, he was born at Kamogawa in 2003.Seven walrus were bred there until 2013,one died five years old, two males were send to other aquariums, the rest is still at the Park, including the 2010 born female"Chuchu", and the last year born male"Riku".The breeding male's name is Tack. He came to Kamogawa in 1983.

17. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I read today Pittsburgh Zoo is on a waiting list for some walruses. I'm curious if there's a reason this species seems to be so difficult to acquire in zoos? It certainly might explain why Brookfield ditched the species.

18. Imhotep

Imhotep Member

Sorry for delay: We've had a birth in Hamburg on June, 15th 2014. It's a "little" boy called "Thor". Father is "Odinazithy" ( we call him "Odin"), Mother is "Dyna". We've got both animals from Moscow in march 2013. "Thor" is doing well. Weight is 160 Kgs now.

19. Imhotep

Imhotep Member

pic of Thor and mother Dyna

We are all very happy at Hamburg.

Attached Files:

20. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The species is protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act, which means obtaining specimens from the wild would be extremely difficult for American zoos. I imagine that since walruses are so large and require colder climates, they're probably somewhat more difficult to keep than most other pinnipeds and thus you'd see fewer facilities holding them.