Join our zoo community

Walrus currently in captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by johnstoni., 26 Aug 2011.

Tags:
  1. 11622

11622 Member

That's really sad... But remember: Seahook was born in May 1978, so she was nearly 38 years old. That's a great age for a walrus in captivity.
    I won't forget her and wish her, that she'll be lucky, where she's now.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2016
  2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The first of Aquarium Du Quebec's calves has arrived safely to mother Arnaliaq. The first 48 hours will be critical but seem to be going well thus far.

CNW Group

3. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Good News-gteat the mother take good care for the calf.So hopefully it will grow succesfully.

I think, there are more than 30 walrusses under human care than this article says, there are lot of them in china.

4. 11622

11622 Member

:) Congratulation to "Arnaliaq" and "Boris" and to the Aquarium Du Quebec.
    Such a walrus (Hybrid - Odobenus rosmarus rosmarus x Odobenus rosmarus divergens) has never ever been born before. I'm strung to breaking point, what it'll be like.

Last edited: 8 May 2016
  5. callorhinus

callorhinus Well-Known Member

Great news! Congratulation to Aquarium Du Quebec! So good and rare event - and we look forward for another one. Excellent!

Our zoo has the same "set" of adult walruses so I hope we will meet a newborn one day.

6. TZFan

The calf born at Aquarium Du Quebec is female and continues to do well.

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. vogelcommando

9. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A quick question for you Walrus experts. I have just seen the Walruses (3) at Valencia and it was great but they did seem to have a very small out of water area, they never left the water while we were there but if they all got out at the same time it would be a squeeze. Is that all they need?

10. callorhinus

callorhinus Well-Known Member

It is hard to understand area size with no image. Our walruses spend much time at "dry" area, and they like to lie close to each other (especially when it's cold). I think walruses at Valencia have enough out of water area space in not exhibit enclosures.

11. TZFan

Aquarium du Quebec's second walrus calf has arrived and its a healthy boy.

CNW Group

12. vogelcommando

13. Bib Fortuna

A female Walrus was born April 6 at the Otaru Aquarium-it is the third offpring for the mother. The calf is doing well and is named"Shizuku".

At Kamogawa Seaworld, the breeding female"Mick"gave birth to a female calf, the 8th walrus born and raised there 1994.

If the female at Toba Aquarium wil also deliver a healthy calf, 2016 could be the most sucessful breeding year in history of keeping walrusses under Human care. She is due in may-june-it will be the first calf to the female"Kuu".

The Toba Aquarium got on breeding-loan for two years the young female"Tsurara" from Otaru Aquarium, where she was born in 2009-and the Aquarium has opened a new walrus enclosure at the end of April.

14. 11622

11622 Member

3? Are you sure? Oceanografic Valencia got 1.4 from Moscow Zoo. I've heard the male passed away a few years ago. So they should still have the four females. Perhaps one was behind the scenes?
    Your Question: Our walruses in Hambung spend most of the time in the water too, when they are on the exhibit. (They sleep behind the scenes out of the water.) Sometimes they only leave it, when it's time for feeding. I think that's normal. They like the water, especially when it's more cool than the air. Remember they are arctic animals.

15. Bib Fortuna

Does anybody know where the recently died female"Seahook"was born ? Was she wild caught or born in a Zoo ?

Yes, Hagenbecks walrusses spend most of their time in the water-no wonder-there is just a tiny landpart....walrussses LOVE it, like all pinnipeds, lying and sleeping on land, taking sand and sunbathes-even "artic" animals do so( even in artic regions the sun is shinning), but if there is no opportuntity for that, they can't...so Hamburg has a great pool for walrusses, but no great exhibit for them.

16. 11622

11622 Member

-The Studbook says "Seahook" was born in the wild (Alaska) in May 1977. She was transferred to Sea World San Diego on 17 May 1978 (Local ID C7806).

-The landpart of the walrus enclosure at Hagenbeck's Eismeer isn't as tiny as it may look like, when standing in front of the exhibit. I don't think that this is the reason, why the walruses spend so much time in the water!

-Of course: Congratulations from Germany to the Otaru Aquarium and to Kamogawa Seaworld, too. 2016 seems to be a good year!

17. Bib Fortuna

@The walrus.

Thanks. What edition of the Studbook do you have ? In the net, there is only the 2004 edition available, which is in many ways incomplete,most data of the Marinelands walrusses are missing.

18. 11622

11622 Member

You are right. I think only the 2004 edition is public.
    Oh, by the way: In this edition there are not only most data of the Marineland walruses missing, there are even some more mistakes.
    If you are interested in that, I should have some more (incomplete) data about the walruses at Marineland of the Pacific here, but I can't find it right now...
    Perhaps you know something about that: There was a little male called "Blue" or "Bluto" at Marineland, I think about one year younger than "Georgie Girl". Did he die there, or was he transferred somewhere?

19. whalrus

whalrus Member

There was a female (edit: male! My mistake) named Blue who was transferred to SeaWorld Orlando with Georgie Girl / Gwen when Marineland closed. Georgie Girl was moved to Point Defiance afterwards, but I do not know Blue's history after the initial transfer.

20. Bib Fortuna

@Whalrus

Thanks for that info. I'm a little bit confused abut the studbook number 17-born in may 1968 at Marineland, unknown parents,a female named"Andrea",later send to Seaworld and passed away in Tacoma in 1996.

Strange, the world first breeding was in May 1975, and there was indeed a female named"Andrea" at Marineland, but according to the book"The Walrus" it was born in 1978 and send to Seaworld San Diego ca.1982-unkown death date. I guess, it is the same animal, but I don't know.

I've done a little bit research about succesful in human care born and reared walrusses. Between the world first breeding in 1975 until May 29, 2016, 25 zooborn walrusses were succesful reared,11 males and 15 females, almost a quarter of them, 8, were born at Kamogawa Seaworld, four other also at two japan aquariums,two to canada, three to the netherlands, two in germany, one to Moscow and seven to the Usa (SW San Diego and Orlando, Marineland,New York Aquarium) Three calfs were born in 2003, four until now in 2016, a fifth will come within the next days.

How is the current population in the Usa ?

1,1-Seaworld San Diego-Mitik and Sushu ( chuchu)
    0,2 New York Aquarium-Kulu and Nuka ?
    ? Seaworld Orlando 1,0 Dozer and ?
    ? Seaworld Texas
    ? Six Flags Vallejo

Are there also Walrusses at Marineland Canada ?