Join our zoo community

Walsrode Birdpark and ????

Discussion in 'Germany' started by bloodycurtus, 6 Aug 2008.

1. bloodycurtus

bloodycurtus Well-Known Member

i may be coming over to germany for a few days in ether september or october unfortuatly to late for the hamm reptile show but never mind, i will be visiting Walsrode Birdpark but which other zoo or zoo's are relativly easy to travel to and worth a visit?

regards shaun

2. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dear me, Zoos worth visiting in Germany? Got a minute?

From Walsrode, i believe Hagenbeck's (Hamburg) and Hannover Zoo are the closest. Both would be in the top of any german zoo list i'd imagine, so i'd say go both. Hannover got a bit more "Erlebnis Zoo" (thematic) thing going on, and i think a few more exotic species (wombats and hartebeest spring to mind). Hamburg has more history and the new aquarium, also worth a visit.

About travelling i'd wait for the german people to respond ;)

3. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Close to Walsrode are the Safaripark Hodenhagen ( forget it ) and the Wild Animal Park Lüneburger Heide also, which has mostly european species.( but its a very nice park ) But I agree with jwer, try to visit Hannover and Hamburg.

4. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Germany's top ranking zoos are : Leipzig, Stuttgart, Frankfurt, Cologne and both Berlin zoos. None of these is close to Walsrode, although certainly Cologne can be done (330 km).

Hamburg is a traditional zoo with a moderate collection but with some architectural highlights.

Other interesting zoos in the 'neightbourhood' are Munster, Osnabruck, Wuppertal, Hannover, Dortmund, etc. It depends how far you wanna drive.

5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Walsrode is about 1 hrs by car from animal park Lüneburger Heide. Mostly northern and native animals in woods. Snow leopards have very big open, wooded enclosure.

2 hrs north is Hamburg and 2 hrs south is Hannover. Hamburg is perhaps better, with orangutan dome, new tropical house and classic Hagenbeck rocks. Hannover is more expensive and more theme-park oriented (boat ride near hippos and flamingos etc), but still a proper zoo with gorillas, drills and all.

More time? Go to Ruhrgebiet, where you have Cologne, Duisburg, Wuppertal, Zoom Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund etc.

6. Jurek7

Not sure about reptile collections. Cologne has definitely very good reptile house, but Hamburg is moderate and unsure about Hannover. There might be also some smaller reptile parks around.

7. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Finally my account works again :) So now, Jurek, thats rubbish ;)

From Walsrode to Hamburg is one houre by car, from Walsrode to Hannover is about 45 min by car. To the Wildpark Lüneburger Heide ist also just 45 min.

8. Zebraduiker

Both Zoos, Hamburg and Hannover, have no good reptile collections. Hamburg has after the opening of the new Tropenaquarium" a few more reptile species, King cobra for example, the only german zoo with that species. Better reptile collections can be found at Frankfurt,Berlin ( Zoo and Tierpark)Landau ( there is a very good private reptile Zoo ),Cologne and Stuttgart ( this zoo isn't aTop ranking zoo in germany,very old and bad exhbits made by concrete )

9. Zebraduiker

But there are a few less good things at Stuttgart, the okapi exhibit for example.

10. Jurek7

Sorry. My memory kept it as longer time. Perhaps I kept getting lost - it was in pre-GPS years.

11. bloodycurtus

bloodycurtus Well-Known Member

thanks for the help guys but not sure if i can still go and if i do iw ill just be round berlin i think so it will the the zoo and tier park