Join our zoo community

Wales Ape & Monkey Sanctuary WAMS 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by OrangePerson, 27 Jan 2016.

1. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member

Last edited: 27 Jan 2016
  2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. Premium Member

I don't know the background, beyond what's in the article, but this is an outstanding quote from the pet shop owner:

Rescued from the pet trade... to be pets? Not the best choice of words! He also seems to think CITES means the iguana and crocodile aren't allowed to be moved at all (which it doesn't), although that could easily be the journalist misunderstanding.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

there's a little video on the link as well which shows some macaques (in terms of primates, the sign at the entrance notes only macaques and spider monkeys). The state of the place is disgusting.

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Hate to say this having visited the place,but they showed its best bits!!!!!

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

The whole storyline is beyond the bizarre: saved from the pet trade by a pet store and end up in a dump like WAMS.

I wonder what kind of spider monkey is involved?
    (I can think of a few good zoos there ...)

6. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member

From the little that I have been told:
    There were more animals held at this place. It all looks very dodgy.
    The two spider monkeys are over 30 years old, and bred in the last year or so (what happened to the offspring?). They appear to be brown/variegated spiders (Ateles hybridus) so they are pretty rare. At their age I'm not sure how important they would be. Apparently it was due to one of the spiders biting a visitor that the insurers pulled the plug.
    There were a number of macaques - rhesus and a crab-eater..
    Also a good size retic, aldabran tortoises and alligator. Some of these have gone back into the private keeper trade.
    All the animals needed to move asap.

7. Chlidonias

the female might be pregnant at the moment. This article - ?I will get my animals back? pledges exotic pet shop owner - Ballymena Times - has a quote from the owner saying "Some of them are, in my opinion, distressed, I would be particularly worried about a heavily pregnant spider-monkey."

8. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member

Absolutely typical - I bet you'd like the spider moneys, (but only if considered of interest), to go to a 'good zoo' and the rest of the monkeys killed, or 'euthanased' as people like say, to sanitise it.

WAMS isn't a dump. I accept it's not aesthetically pleasing, and many of the enclosures are not as big as you'd provide if money were no object (although some are purposely not as large as they could be because the animals weren't used to the big space and chose not to use it) but I did a keeper day here and was very happy to see how warm and clean the housing is when you are in it, what excellent diets the animals have (with some indulgent treats) and what efforts they make to keep the animals happy. Whilst most zoos are packed up for the night the owners here are still spending time with the animals, most of whom were deemed too uninteresting, disruptive or numerous to be of interest to zoos.

9. persimon

persimon Well-Known Member

They look like hybrids geoffroyi/hybridus; Cotswold bred several of these, so I guess that it is very well possible the animals came from them.

10. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Good post.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

It is one thing to enquire about a couple of spider monkeys out of sheer interest by myself. It is quite another for another forumster to want to read into my scribblings and mind something that is surely not there nor meant to be. It is your invention alone, so let us keep it civil right!

For the record: I do not have a great regard for sanctuaries per se, but that should not come as a surprise to most on here. I have seen too many of those in my lifetime already. And for what it is worth: I do not wish for clinical euthanasia for any sanctuary inhabitants, just better housing for these as would be seen in many a zoo in good standing.

Let us leave it at that.

12. welshchatter91

welshchatter91 Member

I agree with everything you've said Orangeperson without WAMS the animals that live there would surely of died many many years ago.

13. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member

Visit report 1st September 2016

I visited yesterday , at the end of the school holidays it was busy .

The pair of spider monkeys fron Ballymena have very recently been put on display in a newly built enclosure . They looked like variegated , not possible to get a decent photo though . The male was very vocal , not heard a spider monkey making much noise before . A pair of rhesus monkey and their 2 male offspring , also from Ballymena , are in a nearby new enclosure , behind the male mandrill .

The old 'wolf enclosure' has been rebuilt and houses 1.2 animals that look like wolves but probably are dog crosses to some extent according to their Facebook page , lovely looking animals .

Two new chimps Uschi and Kaspar have arrived and are in the small enclosure attached to the main one , the whole complex is under quarantine with new barriers . I saw 9 chimps in all . A new enclosure is being built on the back of the barn which houses offshow stock .

I was really pleased to find old black mangabey Alfie back on show with spider monkey Jon-Jon , they were enjoying the sun and interacting . There was no sign of them last year .

A group of male Mayotte brown lemurs are on show as well as the black-and -white ruffed and female black lemur .

Will post some photos later .

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

The black Mangabey must be the only one in the UK. Do you know his source?

15. Chlidonias

Zoos-UK.com - Zoo News Archive, Spring 2008