Join our zoo community

Chessington Zoo Wanyama Village & Reserve

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 29 May 2010.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wanyama village and reserve has opened today at Chessington world of adventures, a holiday inn on park grounds featuring a large open enclosure for Grevy's zebra, scimitar horned oryx and sitatunga.
    Other species held here are at present meerkat, to be joined by dwarf mongoose and crested porcupine.

Wanyama Village and Reserve

2. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

Any ideas as to where they got their grevy's zebra, sitatunga and Scimitar Horned Oryx from?

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Zebra in the publicity 'mockup' is a Grants, while the photo accompanying the Oryx text appears to be that of a Grevy Zebra!

They also describe Grevy's zebra as the largest 'out of all the species in the World' as if there are lots in different countries.

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1:0 Situnga came from Marwell and I would be very suprised if they didn't get 1:0 Grevy's Zebra from the Batchelour herd at Chester as some have recently moved some on.

5. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are there any plans for bigger animals like giraffe? Right now it doesn't seem much of a big draw.

Edit: Found out from another forum that they are adding Gazelles and Ostrich this year too. Not sure where from however.

6. Gavin123

Gavin123 Well-Known Member

Am sure over time they will develop upon the species within the enclosure to include as you say giraffe and etc. and have a similar list of species like many of the african themed enclosures within the UK. (colchester, africa alive, port lympne, etc)

Is good that they are starting to build back upon the zoo element of the theme park within recent years. Is a shame they ever scaled down the collection in the first place. I guess they are modelling the place to become a british version of busch gardens. Just hope they sort the extension/new Gorilla enclosure soon :)

7. JamesB

Yes it would be good to see some more species, right now they don't have the facilities but over the next years I can see them adding in giraffe accommodation and more stables. Right now its a rather basic exhibit.

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anyone know if work has actually started on this yet and if so, what stage its at?

9. easytigger

easytigger Well-Known Member

The Grevys are 2 males from Marwell, I don't know where ther other stock is from though.

10. JamesB

An update from a friend of mine:

"After chatting with some staff we were told that new arrivals will be coming in slowly as they cannot introduce to many animals at once. This includes 2 more Zebras some more Oryx's and some new ostriches. Currently everything has been quite rushed and theming is still missing in some places and the water pool is yet to be fully filled. There is currently no electronics in the area either."

Edit, more info:

Current animals in Savannah: 7

Zebra - 2 (Father & son)

(10-14 more coming spread over a few months)

Scimitar Horned Oryx - 5

Other animals are being decided but the manager of chessington is pushing for giraffes in 2012.

Current Animals in the village:
    Meerkats
    Skunks + Another animal I don't know the name of.
    Dwarf Mongoose - COMING SOON
    Crested Porcupine – COMING SOON

On other news 3 new birds have been added to Lorikeet Lagoon (Called Golden pheasant) and they are expecting some fish to be added soon in the river of Lorikeet Lagoon.

Note: Giraffes for 2012.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2010