Join our zoo community

Wattled crane

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Writhedhornbill, 21 Apr 2007.

1. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

As you may have seen A wattled crane has been born in america. They are very rarely bred in zoos out of Africa.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Whipsnade used to keep these- they are very impressive birds. I think they may have bred them in the past too, but probably no longer have them(not sure)

3. Writhedhornbill

Chester have them but have not bred them. Blackbrook and many other birdparks also have them.

4. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Whipsnade still has wattled cranes. I go to see them every year with one of their keepers Clive Bates. They would also like to bring in more brolga, but cannot afford it.

5. Writhedhornbill

They are the only zoo in europe that has them I think. Well the only ISIS registered zoo. I don't understand why London zoo doesn't give them more money....

6. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You don't really think Walsrode doesn't hold them do you? I also heared that the "dutch parrot refuge" (birdpark in Holland) received their latest offspring last year, but haven't confirmed that.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2007
  7. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

are brolga common in overseas zoos? they are amongst my favourite animals, as well as cassowary, but are still fairly rare here in Australia let alone overseas.
    brolga would make an excellent candidate for a reintroduction campaign in the southern parts of their range, where wetland destruction forced their range to contract northwards. today, these birds would face less pressures, due to greater levels of environmental protection, but even so their ability to repopulate the southern parts of their range has been extremely compromised. aussie zoos and wildlife parks could help them along a bit in this regard, as the shortlan wetland centre did with magpie geese (who's predicament mirrored brolga)

8. Writhedhornbill

Sorry, I fogot Walsrode. The international crane foudation has them. Well they have every species of Crane. So it's not a big surprise!!!

9. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Brolga at Wellington Zoo

At Wellington Zoo || We have 2 Brolga's at Wellington Zoo; 1 male and 1 female. The female arrived from Auckland Zoo on 6 September 2003.

source ; Wellington zoo website

10. Pertinax

No they are not. The only place outside of Australia that probably has some is the ICF in Winsconsin,USA. Many zoos in the Northern Hemisphere have the Indian Sarus Crane, a very similar species to the Australian Brolga. I have a strange idea that Whipsnade Zoo may have had Brolgas in the past but I'm wondering why I should think that...

11. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was talking about the brolga cranes there.

The wattled crane are a little bit more common in Europe. Held at (at least)
    - Stuttgart
    - Walsrode
    - Wuppertal
    - Berlin (east)
    - Odense
    - Zlin-lesna (czech republic)
    - Villars des dombe (birdpark in France)
    - Alphen a/d Rijn (Avifauna birdpark the Netherlands)

12. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Whipsnade still have brolga cranes, but they are offshow. The bird keepers would like to have cranes in the park, but other animals are considered a higher priority.

13. Pertinax

So I must have seen them on some of my visits to Whipsnade. Its interesting that they are offshow nowadays- I wonder why they can't be out in one of the many paddocks? Also interesting to speculate how they came to be at Whipsnade,- part of an exchange of stock between London Zoo and e.g. Taronga Park in the past? Just a guess but its a very obscure species to obtain otherwise.