Join our zoo community

We Bought a Zoo Film

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Bongo, 20 Feb 2009.

1. Talli

Talli Well-Known Member

That change bothered me even more than the location move (which I didn't care for even on this side of the pond). I was upset ahead of time that they seemed to be planning a fictional love interest, which they did, but in order to make it palatable, they had to put his wife's death two years in the past, instead of in the middle of establishing the zoo.

Someone said they recreated the zoo well, but it didn't feel like it to me. I'm lucky enough to have been there before and after the Mees.

Oh - and I thought the snake scene was ridiculous, and someone else told me they loved it. Again, that probably depends on how familiar the audience is with zoos. Wasn't the bear escape something that happened though?

2. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

It's a fictional movie so they changed it to make it more enjoyable for the average audience. It could be worse, I had to watch a college lecture where the proffesor referred to chimps as monkeys.

3. Talli

Talli Well-Known Member

But it's not billed as a ficitonal movie - it's said to be based on a true zoo story.

4. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

It was decided to "recreate" the zoo because it would be cheaper than paying for the entire cast and crew to fly over and film here for 2 months. Also the zoo has to many narrow paths etc.

The extra love interest isn't made up. The use of a fellow keeper is though. Don't think Ben or Hayley have ever made a break for freedom, - they are far to bloody lazy - Sovereign - the Jaguar - did make a go at it just after they took over.

We are just waiting for it to come out on Blu-Ray.

5. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

I finally watched this movie yesterday... Hehe, I read about the "snake scene" on this forum before and was expecting something stupid, but I certainly didn´t expect this :D Ridiculous. The bear scene as well.

But moments, when I was screaming at the screen the most, were the ones with the boy. I mean, what kind of kid wouldn´t want to move to a zoo?!! :D None that I know :D

Anyway, watched to whole movie and kind a liked it "against my will". Dropped a tear as well, trying hard not to. Actors did a good job and the little girl was amazing.

Oh, and they didn´t really explain, where he got the money for it, did they? Can´t remember the original story clearly, but didn´t the whole family sell their houses and properties to buy the zoo?

6. Talli

Talli Well-Known Member

In the movie and in life, the money came from an inheritance from his father. The fictional addition in the movie was the money in a safety deposit box left by his wife.

7. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

Oh, ok. I remembered the book differently, sorry. ;) The money left by his wife in the movie was only for the additional repairs, wasn´t it? And he got it after he bought the zoo. Anyway, it doesn´t matter, he got it somewhere and bought a zoo, good for him :p

8. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

The money did not solely come from an inheritance, all but one of the family sold property to make it happen. Benjamin and his family sold their home, his mother sold her's and Duncan may well have sold his home and contributed to the fund.

9. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I believe that this is how it was in the book, right?
    I remembered it, because after reading that part I phoned my family members, if they would be willing to sell their properties in order to buy me a zoo :D

10. Seawolf

Seawolf Member

Still haven't seen it yet.. i must!

11. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member