Join our zoo community

Wear a gorilla suit, stop a crime.

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by DavidBrown, 6 Feb 2014.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

is there a big illegal trade in reticulated giraffes then?

Agent: "so this is the live genuine reticulated giraffe you ordered, all ready to be smuggled to Mexico"
    Mexican: "I thought giraffes were taller than that."
    Agent: "no, no. Common misperception, due to, um, drugs and stuff."
    Mexican: "it's wearing an Indiana Jones hat..."
    Agent: "giraffes do that."
    Mexican: "well I'm convinced."

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Reminds me of the joke about the zoo that could not replace its gorilla, so it hired a guy to wear a gorilla costume and stand in the ape exhibit. After a couple weeks he got bored and started climbing on the moat wall. He accidentally fell into the neighboring lion exhibit and when he saw the lion he started screaming "help get me out of here!" The lion walked over to him and said "be quiet or you're going to get us both fired!" :D

4. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

:D:D:D very good

5. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This case was very famous in mexico. Bernal was the person in charge of parks and recreation in the state of mexico (the state not the country). He was accountant not a biologist or a vet. ( No need to make jokes about mexicans please, this a global site). He was later released on good behaviour after two years of prison.
    But there are more events after.
    Bernal was trying to get a gorilla for zacango zoo. Actually zacango zoo did obtain a gorilla afterward. Arila, a wild caught female was bought from madrid zoo, which obtained her as an orphan from an african research station. Arila was the unsucessfull mate pairing with chapultepec zoo ´s silverback male Bantu. Miami did loan a male Sumatran orangutan to Morelia zoo, who was called Guero. This particular ape was moved to Leon zoo to reside with two other female orangs about two years ago. This was ordered by the AZA since Leon zoo is accredited by the AZA and Morelia is not. The miami zoo people seem to have ignored this small detail.

Last edited: 6 Feb 2014