Join our zoo community

Weasels and Badgers in Zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by Mrgibbon11, 12 Mar 2012.

Tags:
  1. Mrgibbon11

Mrgibbon11 Member

Why is it so rare to see mustelids (weasels, badgers, wolverines, etc.) in U.S. zoos? Are they very hard to obtain?

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

We discussed some of the issues with why there aren't more weasel exhibits here: http://www.zoochat.com/2/state-black-footed-ferret-other-weasel-240862/

Interesting question about badgers and wolverines. There used to be a wolverine at the Los Angeles Zoo and it was asleep most of the time that I saw it. Maybe they decided that it wasn't an exciting enough exhibit to replace it? As you suggest, it may have not been possible to replace it if they wanted to. The only other wolverine exhibit that I have seen was at the Alaska Zoo, and it was not out.

American badgers seem like they would be interesting exhibit animals in more places. In California they are an important part of our ecosystems and are rarely seen. I have spent quite a bit of time in the field and have never seen one; only their burrows. There is one on exhibit (or used to be at least) in the Living Desert in Palm Springs. It was often active and was an impressive animal, so they can be exhibited well. I would guess that there might occasionally be rescue, non-releasable individuals that were hit by cars or whatever that might be available to zoos as exhibit animals, but maybe not.

3. Mrgibbon11

Mrgibbon11 Member

Thanks for the reply.

4. disneyzoofan

disneyzoofan Member

The Henry Vilas Zoo in Madison Wisconsin usually always has an American Badger, as it is the hiome of the University of Wisconsin, whose mascot is the Badger.

Also though it's not AZA accredited I did see Badgers at Bear Country USA in Rapid City, South Dakota.

As for Wolverines, I personally have seen them at Minnesota Zoo in Apple Valley Minnesota, and they were active when I was there. Also zoos in Springfield, Illinois and Detroit, Michigan are reported to have Wolverines.

Part of it probably has to do with climate, as wolverines in particular can live in near tundra conditions. Zoos in hotter climates may not be able to care for it because of the fur and it's preference to cold. Badgers may be the same thing as the only zoos I've seen them in were northern climate types.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2012
  5. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oklahoma Trails at the OKCZ have American badgers. Lots of the zoos in the midwest would have a good climates for them.

6. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

The zoo that I know of with the most mustelids is Deyoung family Zoo. They have european polecat, domestic ferret, fisher, pine marten, american badger, striped skunk and zorilla.

7. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I never thought about it but it does seem that mustelids are uncommon in zoos, with the exception of river otters. I have seen those in Omaha, Blank Park (years ago), Brookfield (years ago), and the non-AZA accredited Bear Country USA. I've seen sea otters in Point Defiance. I've only seen badgers in Bear Country USA and Omaha. I remember seeing striped skunks in Bear Country and one in a pitifully small glass tank in the Hogle Zoo. The only place I've seen weasels was in the Minnesota Zoo in 1990, where I also saw a spotted skunk.

8. The Vegan

The Vegan Well-Known Member

Really? There are Zorillas left in the United States?

9. JBZvolunteer

They actually worked woth another zoo for a couple of years to get zorillas importeted.

10. The Vegan

The Vegan Well-Known Member

So, are there Zorillas there now?! If so, that would make them one of few zoos-If not the only zoo-in the world to house the species.

11. JBZvolunteer

They have a zorilla, there is another zoo that also has them.

12. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

I think Columbus zoo has a Zorilla off exhibit but im not a 100% sure on that. I just remember when ISIS was available to the public when I searched the species on there it said Columbus.

13. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ISIS was outdated in some parts at that time, and it is not likely Columbus has a Zorilla.

14. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

The former Los Angeles Zoo wolverine exhibit (now housing Channel Island Fox), had, to my fortunate delight, a fairly active wolverine on many of my visits. The Adventure Island Children's Zoo area exhibited a pair of American badgers for a short time, next to the prairie dogs (in the area to the left where you'll now find, I believe, pot-bellied pigs), before the last area makeover. And the current yellow-billed magpie space originally housed a fisher for several years; usually curled into a ball, asleep.

On my last visit to the Living Desert in Palm Desert, CA., in May of 2012, there were two quite active American badgers. My photos taken then appear in the Living Desert Gallery. And yes, I also feel that this group is under represented in zoos.

15. Gulogirl

Gulogirl New Member

Wolverines are challenging to breed in captivity, many exhibits don't really give them enough space. We were lucky to get our two, and are still hopeful for kits maybe next year. Europe has a better track record, the exhibits I've seen in Sweden were spacious and highly varied in complexity. They also have a minimum standard as far as space is concerned, as wolverines tend to use as much land as they are offered. Our exhibit has a natural rock slope and a waterfall with large pool incorporated into it, ours do like the water.... They definitely don't like high humidity and heat - they love our winter weather. Same goes for fishers. As with a lot of mustelids, you have periods of frenetic activity, plenty of action, and then - sleep. They seem to be either on turbo, or off- no real middle ground.

16. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

We're getting to the sad state of affairs where Red Pandas apart, the only small non-felid carnivores in captivity will tend to be those species easily seen, ie social mongooses or social otters. I suppose that Wolverines have made a comeback in the UK recently, and there are a few Tayra to be seen. Add on a few Fossa and Binturongs and that's pretty much your lot.

I do wish that zoos would have the courage to explain to their visitors that some species might require visits very early in the morning, late in the evening, or occasional open nights.