Join our zoo community

Website about US Zoos - Any Must Haves?

Discussion in 'Websites about Zoos & Animal Conservation' started by ZooTravelGuide, 19 Jan 2013.

1. ZooTravelGuide

ZooTravelGuide Member

Hi,

Cheryl here. I just found this website and LOVE it! I started a website a couple of months ago: Zoo Travel Guide

My plans are to give information on and reviews of zoos all over the U.S. (since that is where I am from). It's taking some time to get to all the states.

Any suggestions for states that I should work on sooner rather than later?

Any "must haves" that I should include on my site? I thought I would do a page on jokes and maybe info on zoo careers (since a lot of people are interested in that) and I'm contemplating pages on specific animals. Anything else??

I thought it might be nice to have a star rating system so that people can rate their favorite zoo. Have to figure out how to do that...

I'm using pictures from my own zoo trips and photos friends have shared from their zoo trips. I want to be absolutely sure I don't violate any copyright issues and have permission for every photo I use. However, I don't have pictures for every zoo and that's presenting a challenge! Any thoughts or ideas on how to get good quality (but ok-to-share) pics of zoo animals for my site? Note.. this is a hobby site and I have no money to purchase pictures! :)

Any thoughts or input is appreciated!

2. SafariCat

SafariCat New Member

Wildlife Safari

If you ever make it to Oregon you have to swing by my zoo!! Wildlife Safari in Winston, about 3 hours south of Portland. We are the number two cheetah breeding facility in the world so it is well worth it. Hope you can make it eventually!!

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you include every public zoological facility, you will likely spend every waking moment on the website for the rest of your life. A good start might be AZA and ZAA accredited facilities (minus a few specialized nature museums that are part of the AZA). There are just over two hundred in the AZA and I know they have a listing on their website. This includes most of the biggies.
    Association of Zoos and Aquariums
    The ZAA has many worthwhile "second tier" zoos (and perhaps a few not so worthwhile) and I would assume they have a list on their website also.
    Welcome to ZAA.org

These two lists should keep you busy for quite a while.