Join our zoo community

Weekend Doubles

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Welsh Zootographer, 18 Mar 2018.

1. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Which website? If I remeber it corectly, last year this coach operated every day during July/August and every weekend in off-season. The schedules for this year are not available yet.

2. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Okay, so this really makes it quite a difficult one to fit in, I understand!

3. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

It would also be quite an idiosyncratic choice given some of the other options outlined in this thread!
    (For a first outing I mean. I hope to get to both myself eventually)
    On another note, I'm not convinced about how wheelchair accessible Plzen is. I remember a lot of steep sections.I'd be delighted for someone to prove me wrong though.

4. agnmeln

Variety is the spice of life!

5. Welsh Zootographer

Welsh Zootographer Well-Known Member

The website rome2rio.com which is a website about getting from one place to another. :)

6. HOMIN96

It is, just Czech (pun intended) out the journey when the coach directly to zoo is off :D : Brno to Lukovská - 5 ways to travel via bus, train, taxi, car

Well, if you have someone with strength, endurance and willingness tu push you up and down the 20% hill all day, it´s fine :D Almost pavillions are wheelchair accessible. (Except the "hidden" house for australian fauna the Underground world and Madagascar house ) apart from that, you also wont be able to go to the Japanese garden, and around the bear exhibit.

I didn´t know this one. Thank´s for sharing :)

Welsh Zootographer likes this.
  7. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

rome2rio is great for giving you options you might not have known about, but at leas for Asia it tends to drastically overestimate prices.

8. agnmeln

This is also a new website for me. Interesting one to bookmark. Another to add to my collection for when Google can’t bring me the goods! Usually I plan all of my journeys on Google, but when I started planning my Czech trip it didn’t have the information I needed. It’s good to have a backup!

9. HOMIN96

What info about our beuatiful country couldn´t you find on Google? :D

10. agnmeln

I usually get all my travel information from Google maps. I’ll type in my origin, my destination and my departure time and then rely on Google to find me the best connections. Unfortunately, it seems Google holds very few Czech train or bus timetables! It took me much more digging to be able to successfully plan how to negotiate my 7 city trip.

11. HOMIN96

Oh yeah, I forgot about this one :D I think it´s being "beta-tested" here for like two years already :D

12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Yeah, never having used it for Europe my opinion of that site is that it is rubbish...

13. Welsh Zootographer

Welsh Zootographer Well-Known Member

I just checked it for a journey I am familiar with, Chester to Cardiff, and it suggests trains run every four hours whereas in reality there are about 3 trains every two hours.

14. Fresco3

Fresco3 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are four collections on the Isle of Wight (IoW Zoo, Amazon World, Monkey Haven and The IoW Reptilarium) which are all very close to each other. None of them are overly big (Amazon World is the largest but still reasonably small) and could probably all be done over a weekend. Monkey Haven and the IoW reptilarium could be done in something like 1-1.5 hours each.

15. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For planning journeys by train (and by local bus), the website of Deutsche Bahn is superior to the competition (www.bahn.de), though it won't include schedules for long distance buses like Flixbus or Eurolines. But you can plan train journeys throughout Europe with them, but only book them for Germany itself.

16. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

Basel and Mulhouse could be a nice pair for a weekend, I think. It should cater to your interest in food too ;)

17. agnmeln

I’m looking forward to the food in Basel on my
    visit in this case!

I’m doing a double trip of Basel and Zagreb, simply because they are the only outstanding zoos on my list where they are the only zoo in their country currently holding an on show sun bear (Łódź has theirs off show until the Orientarium is completed). Try that for a tricky connection! I’m having to fly back from Basel to Manchester, stay the night in Manchester and fly out to Zagreb the following morning.

18. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I guess @SabineB meant Mulhouse's food, Basel is quite unimpressive, especially when you have finally found something affordable...

SabineB likes this.
  19. agnmeln

Oh, what a shame! But I’m sure I will be hungry enough to eat pretty much anything, so it should be fine!

20. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

take a bus or cab into Mulhouse and get some absurdly great food there! and yes i was actually talking about food and wine in Mulhouse :rolleyes: