Join our zoo community

Welcome to the new ZooChat

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 21 Oct 2016.

1. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great effort. I'm viewing the new look ZooChat for the first time on my phone and the mobile-friendly view is a huge improvement.

2. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

THis feels like a dumb question - where is the button to actually upload a new image to the Media section?

3. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

At the moment, It is hard for me to orientate/navigate in the new layout/design. Will see what time brings...

Kakapo likes this.
  4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Looks like I'm going to have to go back and edit all of my past trip report posts then :p so that all the images are in the gallery rather than some attached and some not......

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

It's the right-most option on the blue ribbon at the top - 'New Media'. :)

6. Maguari

Sorry - ignore me - that's the same mistake I made the first time. It's ADD Media that you need.

7. TeaLovingDave

I've started the process - what do people think of how the following post looks with the images integrated directly into the text?

Simon Hampel likes this.
  8. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Love the new look. Runs a lot better now

9. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looks good to me. I prefer the images dotted among the text to break things up a bit.

10. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

YAY!!!! We're back. I was going through some serious withdrawal. Even though I don't post all that much, I still look almost daily. I miss the widget on the right hand side that gave headlines for zoo happenings, though. It's been gone for a few months and I miss it. Anyway, I like the new site. Very clean and attractive. Good job!

11. TeaLovingDave

In discussion with Zoogiraffe in the chatroom, it seems he has received an error message telling him he has reached his daily limit of gallery uploads - given that an upload limit will possibly impact on my ability to promptly replace all the images I had attached to my trip posts with ones uploaded to my own albums, considering how many there are to edit, I would be very interested to learn precisely *what* the limit in question is set at?

I can't imagine ZG has somehow hit a limit which has always been in place, as I haven't noticed him uploading any more images than he usually does, so I assume this is a new measure - presumably implemented for the same reasons as the disabling of image attachments. You've got me in a bind here ;)

12. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I agree with robmv, the pictures look good dotted throughout the text. Also attachments sometimes take some time to load so it could take a few minutes to click through them at the bottom.

I personally wouldn't bother going through all the old posts and fixing them though.

13. TeaLovingDave

Yeah, I'm not going to fix any of the "German Adventures" posts - eventually I will edit the above-linked post to restore it to the initial condition - as that thread is completed and therefore no disparity of format will be produced. However, I *will* be fixing all the Bavarian and Alpenzoo posts as, given these threads are not yet complete, there will otherwise be a disparity of format.

14. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Is there a way to see what new comments have been made in the gallery? I have been browsing through hundreds of photos but do I have to look at every single photo to see if there are any new comments? Is there going to be a separate section set up (like before) where new comments were singled out?

Also, is there any way to tell what zoo is represented in a photo or do I have to hover over every single photo? For example, a close-up view of a sloth bear is great but do I have to either hover over the photo or click on it to find out what zoo the bear is at?

Lastly, have all the comments been discounted from the overall posts of long-time members? Do gallery comments no longer count as posts? That would be a shame.

Kakapo likes this.
  15. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Just a quick question of a fairly unimportant feature, but is there a way to subscribe to threads without posting in them?
    In the old ZooChat there was a button for 'thread tools' at the top that allowed you to subscribe to a thread, but I can't see one in the new forum.

16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

From memory that was a Google News thing? I'm pretty sure they shut that service down :(

17. TeaLovingDave

Hit the same limit myself whilst trying to replace those images attached to my trip reports with images posted to the gallery - 50 MB :p So is this the total I am permitted to use for a personal album in the gallery full-stop, or merely the total I am permitted to use each day?

18. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, but I can't actually find it.

19. Maguari

Click on Media at the top of the front page, then it appears on the blue ribbon just below the Media icon, and also as a button just above where it says 'Zoo Photo Galleries' at the top-left. :)

20. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Yes, I needed to revisit the limits because I don't actually know how much each person has used. Some people will have used a massive amount and others not much.

For now I've disabled the quotas - I will need to investigate the best way to manage this.