Join our zoo community

Wellington Zoo Wellington Attractions to Merge?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 16 May 2012.

Tags:
  1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Council-driven attempt to merge Wellington Zoo & Zealandia, as well as the botanical gardens and another piece of bush, in order to save the 'struggling' sanctuary:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-pos...627379/Shared-management-could-save-Zealandia

2. zooboy28

Sanctuary Responds

Catherine Isaac : Zealandia and zoo poles apart | Stuff.co.nz

3. zooboy28

Zoo likes the idea...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/6866216/Should-Wellys-nature-attractions-join-forces

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I sincerely hope Zealandia is able to find it's financial footing on it's pwn, as it is a fantastic place and needs to be promoted more. It is a large area of New Zealand bush only 10 minutes drive (or less) from the Wellington CBD, with lots of NZ rarities flying free.

Its educational and conservational value is different from the zoo, but no less important. Indeed, it could be argued that Zealandia's education and conservation programs are more valuable/higher priority than the Zoo's programs because Zealandia is focusing on native species, a group in which the zoo is sadly deficient.

I agree with joint initiatives between the different organisations - joint/reciprocal memberships, collaborative projects etc. - but in the preferred proposal (council managing all four as a merged group) the smaller parks run the risk of losing their identity, and also losing out on fuinding as the zoo will always have the greater ongoing expenses.

I would remind everyone that I am in Australia and my opinion is based on my visit to both facilities six months ago. However, I am not familiar with the politics or bureacracies of the Zoo, Zealandia or Wellington City Council.

:p

Hix

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Wellington Eco-City plan dumped - environment | Stuff.co.nz