Join our zoo community

Wellington Conservation Center Wellington Conservation Center & Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by SusScrofa, 25 May 2022.

Tags:
  1. SusScrofa

SusScrofa Well-Known Member

The Wellington Conservation Center is a private non-profit animal sanctuary/breeding facility located in Wellington, FL.

Their Website

They offer private tours only, but they charge only $20 a person and setting up a meeting is easy.

This facility has both domestic and wild animals. There are two notable rarities, the Crab-eating Raccoon (one male) and Pale Fox (five individuals). A number of other species are kept as well, as you can see by their website. Most animals are rescues, each one with an individual story. They do however privately breed sloths and lemurs for zoos.
    I'm not really a fan of guided tours, but this place was less then an hour from where I live, was fairly cheap and it had the two species I wanted to see, so I decided to go. I'm glad I did.

This is a fairly long tour (nearly an hour and a half) and the guide is very friendly and knowledgeable. Enclosures are spacious (the smallest was an enclosure for the Brazilian Porcupines which was still adequate). Besides checking off a couple of boxes on my to-see list, the interaction with the animals was a highlight. You get to pet the tortoises, capybara, tamandua, porcupine and sloths. And feed both the sloths and lemurs. There is a female sloth that recently bred and we got to see her and the adorable baby up close and personal. The animals we interacted with are all friendly and acclimated to human contact, and the guide ensured everything is handled with care. Honestly, most zoos charge far more for interactive experiences like this with just a single animal, so being able to have this experience with multiple species for such a minimal fee was pretty awesome.

I'd recommend this place for any zoochatter living or planning on visiting the south Florida area.

snowleopard likes this.
  2. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Thank you for the review, those two rarities would be great to see!