Join our zoo community

Wellington Zoo wellington zoo annual report offers insight into regional collection planning

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Coquinguy, 31 Oct 2006.

1. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

not if they are putting the tapir in the african waterhole section like jay said!!!

2. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

well it would be for just some where to jhouse it, it will all be done up, eventually

3. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

even though in the masterplan there is a south american biome that will be developed there is no mention of a peccary exhibit, or big cat. it centres around the orang enclosure which will house spider monkeys and squirrel monkeys and extends back towards amazonia to include aviaries, galapogas tortoise, tamarins, anacondas and reptiles and amphibian exhibits!
    the generation cycle theory lends uncomfortable truth to the going going gone report. obviouslt to build up a herd of bongo of that size would recquire significant space though everyone thinks it could be found, but also the importation of a large number of founder stock which is not going to happen with current quarantine laws.

4. kiwimuzz

kiwimuzz Well-Known Member

Sorry to bring such an old thread back from the dead, but 10 years on from Going, Going, Gone, what have we lost and what surprises have there been. I know Altina Wildlife Park have single handily kept Maned Wolves - Chrysocyon brachyurus going in the region. Wellington has imported Caracal (2 sisters), Nyala (Currently 8 animals as per Wellington Zoos Website), Pygmy Marmoset (2 groups no indication of numbers), Cabybara (1 male 3 females), and Bolivian Squirrel Monkeys (large group).
    Finally does anyone have access to the original report?
    Barlow, S., and Hibbard, C. (2006) Going, going, gone...a zoo without exotic animals? Proc. ARAZPA Annual
    I have a paper copy somewhere, but it is in storage so I can't get hold of it. Internet search didn't find it.
    Cheers
    Muzz

5. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I have a copy, if you PM me your email I can send it on to you.

It lists 127 exotic mammals in ARAZPA zoos as of 2005 (although not all species are listed individually).
    After a very rough count up, I get 117 exotic mammals in the region's zoos, which is not as huge a decrease as you might expect (partially I think this might come from the addition of new zoos to ZAA which bought some additional species with them that offset the losses). Also, I probably included some species (e.g. deer, some domestics, that might not have been included in the original report).