Join our zoo community

Wellington Zoo Wellington Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 5 Jan 2015.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Oh, we could have organised a meet up there if I'd known :)

I think almost all the species are represented by multiple individuals, but with a couple of exceptions (e.g. pelican). Did you get around the whole zoo? The species list is not huge, but pretty good for a NZ zoo. :D

2. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I was on a coach tour so my time wasn't my own and I couldn't really plan anything eg I'd liked to have visited the gorillas at Orana Park but it just wasn't possible.

Looking at my photos, I see I might have been a bit harsh in commenting on numbers of individuals :eek: I think there were just two female giraffes and most of the baboons were males? I did cover the whole zoo, but not in as much depth as I'd have liked.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

yes, two female giraffes. The baboons have a pretty even split in sexes.

4. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'll be visiting Wellington Zoo for the first time this weekend. It will also be my first time flying, so that should be interesting! I should have a whole day to spend at the zoo. Does anyone have tips/advice for visiting, especially for first timers?

5. Chlidonias

find out the times for which/if any animals will be being treated at the hospital - they often have interesting things to see (viewable through the windows). They used to have a board at the entrance with times and species for the day, otherwise I guess ask at reception when you arrive.

6. zooboy28

It's a very straightforward zoo to explore, nothing hidden away really - its all on the map. You can miss the central viewing area for the Gibbons and Spider Monkeys/Capuchins if you go through the Nocturnal House, as this is between the entrance and exit of that building. Also check out the lizard exhibits behind the Tuck Shop, they could potentially be missed. Otherwise everything should be obvious. Keen to hear your thoughts on Wellington after you've visited!

7. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you Chlidonias and zooboy28! And yes, will definitely!

8. Chlidonias

there's also a pigmy marmoset enclosure inside the cafe at the entrance (if it is still there).

9. zooboy28

Yes, its still there. Also houses a large Iguana.

10. zooboy28

One of Wellington Zoo's male chimpanzees, Temba, has been put to sleep.

Update from the Zoo's Facebook page:

11. zooboy28

An article on Temba's death.

Full story here: Wellington Zoo chimpanzee Temba dies during surgery after clash with alpha male Marty | Stuff.co.nz

12. Tygo

Tygo Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wellington Zoo has received a new male Red Panda from Auckland Zoo.
    https://wellingtonzoo.com/news/meet-our-new-red-panda/

13. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Surprised they've imported a male. I assumed Khusi would be bred with Manasa (born 2010).

Good to hear they've got a very young breeding pair though with Sundar and Khusi (both born 2014). Not sure why the delay (2017) in breeding. Red Pandas can breed at 18 months so both are already sexually mature.

Breeding a female young clearly paid off for Hamilton Zoo. Tayla produced a litter every year for four years consecutive and all her litters were either twins or triplets. In contrast, Wellington Zoo's older female Amy only produced two litters and three years apart: Sir Ed (2007) and Manasa (2010).

14. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sad news, especially for his keepers and troop after the loss of Chima earlier this year. Wellington Zoo have been hit hard with chimpanzee deaths over the years with the three breeding females losing at least 7 offspring between them since they arrived in 1992.

Will be interesting to see how his death affects the hierarchy in the troop. Alexis will move up in the hierarchy, and may even overtake the eldest male, Sam, if he has not done already. This will increase his mother, Cara's standing in the troop. As the lowest ranking female, I'm sure she'll welcome the change. She's now the only female with an adult son.