Join our zoo community

Wellington Zoo Wellington Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by WhistlingKite24, 7 Jan 2020.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Fantastic news. I hope a few of these spiders will be distributed to zoos across New Zealand and Australia.

Zorro likes this.
  3. WhistlingKite24

Wellington Zoo has welcomed two more Nyala calves! From the zoo’s Facebook page:
    Security Check

Jambo, Zorro and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I was about to post that the last part seems extremely unlikely, given the popularity of keeping mygalomorphs overseas, but then I looked at the article and it doesn't actually say that it is "the first birth in captivity for twenty years" - it says that no zoo in the ZIMS database reports breeding them during that time-frame, which is not the same thing at all.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hello Chlidonias, I suppose you are right. It is yet a mile off that all zoos and professional captive-breeding facilities are linked and in the ZIMS-network.

On the other hand, I am not even beginning to chat about the private breeders networks where - as you rightly observed - mygalomorphs are more regularly maintained and perhaps also bred.

I will keep an eye out for any mention of Theraphosa blondi and captive-breeding and hatchings!

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  6. WhistlingKite24

Wellington Zoo is reopening the 18th May and zoo entry will be free until the 30th June! From the zoo’s Facebook page:
    Wellington Zoo

Shirokuma and Jambo like this.
  7. Chlidonias

I don't know what other cities in NZ are doing, but in Wellington the city council has made all public transport (i.e. buses and trains) free since the lockdown started and continuing until 30 June; and both the zoo and Zealandia will be free until 30 June (they are managed by trusts but owned by the city council).

8. WhistlingKite24

Wellington Zoo has announced the birth of a Wellington Green Gecko. From their Facebook page:
    Security Check

9. WhistlingKite24

Wellington Zoo has announced that their pair of Cotton-top Tamarins - Celeste and Soto - have had a baby. The male, Soto is the one that was imported from Singapore last year. According to the post, the Cotton-top Tamarins have moved into an upgraded enclosure next to the Golden Lion Tamarins. From their Facebook page:
    Wellington Zoo

10. Chlidonias

I was at the zoo today - the "baby" is half the size of the parents, so not exactly new (unless they have a juvenile plus a newborn which I didnt see, but neither adult appeared to be carrying a baby).

Jungle Man likes this.
  11. Chlidonias

In the latest newsletter there was the information that over the free-entry period (which has now finished) the zoo had over 50,000 visitors.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Is that a regular visitor number of the years? How much in "lost" revenue is that?

13. Chlidonias

In "latest visit news" from today, the backings off most of the tanks at Hero HQ have been removed allowing viewing into the interior of the building which is quite neat. For anyone who doesn't know the zoo, Hero HQ is the reptile/invertebrate building, originally a food kiosk, where the tanks are viewed from the outside - so now when you look into the tanks you can see through the rear glass panel into the building.

There are lots of invert tanks to be seen and more-than-expected Scheltopusik tanks (obviously breeding is going well), although of course none of the little ID labels on the tanks can be read to see what they contain. Something unexpected was an aquarium with a shoal of Blind Cave Fish - no idea why they are being kept off-show in there.

No sign of the "baby" Lace Monitors which used to be in there, so I presume they grew too big to be kept in there and have been moved elsewhere. I do wonder why they even got the monitors in the first place; they have never been on display since they got them about a year and a half ago.

This photo is from 2013, when Hero HQ first opened, but it looks the same still so anyone who hasn't been there can see what it looks like:

[​IMG]
    Hero HQ, sides one and two - ZooChat

And here's a Scheltopusik from today:

[​IMG]

The only other thing worth mentioning is that there is a juvenile Pied Shag in "The Nest" (the zoo's hospital):

[​IMG]

14. WhistlingKite24

An update on these Goliath Bird-eating Tarantulas bred earlier in the year. The zoo currently have eight spiderlings and they are all now around five-months-old. According to the article, the zoo will be keeping some of them, while some of the others will move to other zoos.

The article also mentions a brief udpate on the Nyala:

"Two nyala - a type of antelope - were born during lockdown and named Jacinda and Dr Ashley. More nyala have since been born."

Wellington Zoo's Goliath bird-eating tarantula babies doing well

Jungle Man and Jambo like this.
  15. WhistlingKite24

Wellington Zoo have announced the birth of a female Nyala (I’m not sure if it’s one of the calves mentioned above or a new one). According to the Facebook post, the zoo now have a herd of 22 Nyala!!
    Security Check

16. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It appear NZ are ove run with Nyala and breeding them like rabbits but still uncommon in oz!

17. Kifaru Bwana

I checked a well known animal traders website recently and found species most commonly advertised include nyala, greater kudu, roan and sable antelope, springbok and wildebeest.

Perhaps this might spring some Antipodes zoos into expanding their collections befitting the African savannah theme????

Jungle Man and Zorro like this.
  18. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It might be possible foe NZ but until oz gets its IRA together for imports its going to have to wait for dreams like that!

Zoofan15 likes this.
  19. Kifaru Bwana

It is about time that zoos get their act together vis a vis the national Government and administration. That whole IRA screening process has become a ineffective joke and a charade smokescreen. How long does it really needs to take (where administration is failing is local native wild fauna and flora irrespective of iRA's operational or not). Well, that is just my perception ..., but it might be an inconvenient truth all the same.

Honestly, I do sincerely hope IRA's come to pass, but it is a excrutiangly infuriating slow snail's pace process. Hence, me quipping like I do.

Zorro, Zoofan15 and Cassidy Casuar like this.
  20. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wellington Zoo Annual Report 2020

Wellington Zoo have released their annual report for 2020:

https://wellingtonzoo.com/assets/Resources/Annual-Report-2020-artwork-FINAL-higher-res2.pdf

Update on the Snow leopard Exhibit/Import:

After being approved in Wellington City Council’s Long-Term Plan (2018-28), planning has begun in earnest to create a new habitat for Snow Leopards at Wellington Zoo.

In March, the Design and Construction Supervision contract was awarded to local firm Architecture Workshop, and in June, Story Inc. was awarded the contract for Interpretive Design. The Design team has come together to work through concept design and developed design.

Design work will ensure these majestic big cats have the best possible animal welfare, and that we have best practice staff spaces along with an engaging visitor experience connecting to conservation stories of this vulnerable species.

Exports:

A female Kea to Invercargill Aviaries
    Two African Crested Porcupines to Orana Wildlife Park
    Five Capybara males to Taronga Zoo
    Three male Nyala to Keystone Wildlife Conservancy
    Meerkats to Natureland Zoo and Brooklands Zoo

Births:

13 Tarantulas
    A Cotton-Top Tamarin
    Meerkat pups
    Two Red Rumped Agoutis
    Two Nyala calves
    Catfish and Blind Cave Fish (multiple births)

Other news:

Two female Tasmanian Devils, Cassia and Clove, joined Dash (our existing female) in September from the Tasmanian Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment.

Two male Squirrel Monkeys from France were welcomed to the Zoo in July and introduced to the troop for breeding with two babies born as a result of successful introductions.

Four Moko Kākāriki Wellington Green Gecko arrived from Zealandia in August and two from Ngā Manu Nature Reserve (Waikanae) in January. We had our first successful breeding in Te Piringa Iti, our reptile breeding facility, in June, with one Gecko born.

A male Nyala, Skipper, died after probably being spooked by Guy Fawkes fireworks and a nearby bush fire.

Djembe, a female 17-year-old Lion, was euthanised after her health and quality of life deteriorated due to age-related health concerns which could not be effectively treated without compromising welfare.

Yindi, a female Dingo, was euthanised after it became clear through her behaviour that her quality of life had become compromised.