Join our zoo community

Wellington Zoo Wellington Zoo news 2021

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 2 Jan 2021.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Some small news from a visit today.

The Green Iguana appears to be gone, at least from display, with the signage removed.

There is also a new sign up on the old baboon enclosure promising Ring-tailed Lemurs.

[​IMG]

The baboon enclosure was constructed in 2000 and the last of the remaining baboons were euthanised in February 2019. The plan from the zoo, at that time, was to turn it into a walk-through enclosure for Ring-tailed Lemurs but it remained entirely unused for an whole year (Feb 2019 to Jan 2020) until a pair of Boer Goats were placed in it. Given the glacial rate of this progress I shall expect the lemurs be here some time within the next five to ten years...

Jambo, Tafin and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Besides farmyard animals, a walk through lemur exhibit has to be the most underwhelming replacement for a large troop of Hamadryas baboons the zoo could think of.

It’s been a long time coming, so it’s no surprise; but still part of me hoped Wellington Zoo would have realised during this time that they’re just building something low key that several zoos in the region have (or will soon have) - including Auckland Zoo, who has plans to build something similar as part of their entry precinct.

Homogeneity within our zoos is nothing to celebrate. The preference for diversity amongst ZooChatters aside, I’ve spoken to friends who know little about zoos over the years (i.e. the general public) and the same remarks always come in - I like Wellington Zoo because they have the sun bears; Auckland Zoo have/had the orangutans, hippos and elephants etc.

StoppableSan, Zorro and Tafin like this.
  3. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Does the zoo still have two Lionesses and two Cheetah?

4. Chlidonias

Should do. I didn't look at the cheetahs but the lionesses were both out (I think) when I passed their enclosure. Certainly with the lionesses, if either of them died then the zoo would do a release about it.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2021
    Jambo and Tafin like this.
  5. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I emailed Wellington Zoo about their Green Iguana (just in case a change was required for the exotic reptiles of NZ thread); fortunately she is still at the zoo but is just currently off-display.

Jambo and Chlidonias like this.
  6. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Both girls will be 20 this year; a great achievement for Wellington. It will be interesting to see if Wellington goes for a breeding group upon their deaths. Wellington hasn’t breed lions in ages.

Tafin likes this.
  7. Zoofan15

They’re the oldest lions in an accredited New Zealand Zoo and would also compare favourably amongst Australia’s lions. Off the top of my head, I can recall only a handful in the region that are older - including their first cousins, Amali (Adelaide Zoo) and Kuchani (Hunter Valley Zoo), who were May of the same year.

Due to their close bond and the social nature of lions, I would say it’s likely when one is euthanised for medical reasons; the other will be euthanised on welfare grounds.

I believe Wellington will hold a small breeding pride. They had a set up to house two small prides (2.0 and 0.3) previously, but the intention had originally been to integrate and breed them.

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  8. WhistlingKite24

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. WhistlingKite24

A Cotton-top Tamarin has been born to Wellington Zoo’s pair Celeste and Soto (the adult male that was imported from Singapore in 2019) : Log into Facebook | Facebook

10. WhistlingKite24

Snow Leopard update:

driftaguy and Jambo like this.
  11. Zoofan15

The old sun bear exhibit has a huge maternity annex (off display). I’ll be interested to see whether they refurbish this as part of the renovations for use by the Snow leopards. Although the zoo have previously stated they don’t intend to breed, it would be valuable to have for the Snow leopards to use during inclement weather etc.

Tafin, driftaguy and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  12. WhistlingKite24

Further information about the snow leopards - Wellington Zoo hope to complete the project and receive them by 2022. A more detailed update from their newsletter:

“We're getting ready to start construction work on the Snow Leopard site! On Monday 22 Feb, Wellington Mayor Andy Foster joined us at the Zoo to see the plans and take a tour of the site.

This habitat used to house our Sun Bears but hasn't been used as an animal habitat since 2012. We're really looking forward to redeveloping this space, and while there is a lot of work to be done we are aiming to complete this project in 2022.

We're looking forward to sharing more updates on this project in the near future so keep an eye out.”

Tafin, Zorro, Kifaru Bwana and 2 others like this.
  13. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It would be nice if all the larger zoos in NZ held a pair of them. The climate is cooler and more suited to them than many of the zoos in oz!

StoppableSan, Tafin and Jambo like this.
  14. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Definitely agree here regarding the climate. The average temperature is only half what Australia can reach in the summer! Auckland don't have any interest in them but Hamilton would be a brilliant choice, with all their space.

15. Zoofan15

I’d love to see Hamilton Zoo add a Snow leopard exhibit to form a Himalayas precinct, along with Nepalese red panda, Himalayan tahr and Himalayan monal; though I’ll soon be able to see this at Wellington Zoo (minus the tahr). :cool:

Unfortunately, the masterplan has Hamilton Zoo following Melbourne’s example with a ‘Carnivore Corner’ precinct (tigers and otters); and red pandas lumped together with chimps, lemurs and monkeys to form a ‘Social Climbers’ precinct (because red pandas are so social?) o_O It feels like a regression from the arrangement by continent layout I’ve enjoyed seeing at many of the region’s zoos.

16. WhistlingKite24

1.0 Pygmy Marmoset has arrived at Wellington Zoo. The male, Tunche was born at Natureland Zoo in January 2019 and has been paired with one of the zoo's female Maya. The pair are now on display in Mojo Cafe:

Tafin, Zorro and Zoofan15 like this.
  17. WhistlingKite24

A Bolivian Squirrel Monkey was born last Wednesday to female Kantuta: Wellington Zoo

Jambo likes this.
  18. Chlidonias

I was at the zoo this morning, and was astonished to see that there is actually progress happening on both the lemur walk-through and the Snow Leopard enclosure!

The lemur walk-through (the old baboon enclosure) is being landscaped, with paths being cut from the slope and already a lot of plantings going in (grasses and trees).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The old Sun Bear enclosure, which will be used for Snow Leopards and which has sat unused for years, has had most of the vegetation cleared both inside and outside the walls and there is a bunch of construction scaffolding inside. The keeper access to the right outside of the enclosure (when facing the enclosure, but not visible in the photos below) has also all been cleared.

Today:
    [​IMG]

Compare with January:
    [​IMG]

19. Chlidonias

I specifically checked the Cheetahs and Lionesses today, and yes they are all still there.

Tafin likes this.
  20. WhistlingKite24

There are now no lions at Wellington currently. Like they did at Auckland with their ageing lionesses, the zoo have just announced that they have made the decision to euthanise both of their lionesses Zahra and Djane:

"We are very sad to announce that we had to make the incredibly tough decision to euthanise our elderly Lionesses, Zahra and Djane today.As these cats were almost 20 years old, our animal care and veterinary teams had been closely monitoring both Lionesses over the past 18 months due to age-related health concerns. Over the weekend Zoo Keepers had observed dramatic changes to Djane’s demeanour and she had become disinterested in her food. After an emergency procedure on Monday, we were hopeful about Djane’s recovery, however her health continued to deteriorate quickly and the decision to euthanise Djane was made today. Lions are incredibly social and family orientated animals, and Zahra’s welfare would have been severely compromised if she was left to live as a solitary Lion, so Zahra was also euthanised today. Zahra and Djane are litter siblings and share a very strong, sisterly bond. As carers for these animals, their welfare and how they experience life is always at the core of our work and these decisions are never easy. However the decision to euthanise both Lions was the best and kindest thing for them. It’s been an incredibly difficult day for everyone at Wellington Zoo, especially the team who cared for Djane and Zahra. We know that our community loves our Lions and will be equally sad to lose these beautiful animals. Lions have been part of the Wellington Zoo community since we first opened in 1906, when the Zoo was gifted a male Lion, King Dick. While we will be without Lions for a while, in time we will look at welcoming a new pride to the Zoo, so we can continue our conservation work with this iconic species.If you have any stories or photos of Djane, Zahra and their late sister Djembe, we’d love for you to share them with us below."

The zoo have long-term plans to receive a new pride: "While Wellington Zoo will be without Lions for a while, in time we will look at welcoming a new pride to the Zoo, so we can continue our conservation work with this iconic species."

Full article: Lionesses Djane and Zahra pass away

Chlidonias, Cassidy Casuar and Jambo like this.