Join our zoo community

Wellington Zoo Wellington Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Zoofan15, 2 Jan 2022.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It’s going to be a big year for Wellington Zoo with construction continuing on their Snow leopard exhibit. These will be the first Snow leopards in New Zealand since 1995.

The zoo have created a designated page on their website to update everyone on their progress throughout the year. They’re aiming to raise $50,000 in funds: Snow Leopards

For those that don’t know, the Snow leopards they’re receiving are sisters, Asha and Manju, who were born at Melbourne Zoo in January 2020.

2. Zoofan15

3. Zealandiatherium

Zealandiatherium Member

I went to the zoo today.

I Spider monkeys now have full range to the Capuchin island, since the Capuchin are being moved over to be next to the squirrel monkeys, but work hasn't been fully started yet.

Kiwi walk through still closed

Path way from Sun Bears to Giraffes has been reopened as the path from the Wild theater to the old sun bear exhibit is being converted to the Snow Leopards respectively.

and sadly, my second favorite resident may of died, The Emu; due to its absence on the map and not being in the Australian neighbors.

(images shown, exhibit clean up and the Pigs were active) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  4. Zoofan15

Well don’t keep us in suspense…Who’s your first favourite zoo resident? Sasa the sun bear? Cara the chimp? The guy who sells ice cream?

5. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is @Zealandiatherium talking about the zoos resident Emu? I thought Wellington had multiple.

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  6. Zoofan15

If I interpreted his post correctly, he referred to the Emu as his second favourite zoo resident. It left me curious as to what his first favourite was.

Last I checked, they had one male named Mogo. They previously had a female named Georgia.

7. Jambo

Oh right sorry. :p

It’ll be a shame if they’ve lost Mogo. Emu were one of the first animals to have been moved to Wellington Zoo when it opened in 1912. Hopefully they can import more.

Wellington used to have sisters, Ellen and Georgia. They’re apparently now deceased.

8. Joe Franklin

Joe Franklin Member

Went for a trip to Wellington Zoo yesterday for the first time in a long time. Was hoping to catch a glimpse of the new African lion brothers Jelani and Sadiki but even after returning to the exhibit at the top of the hill on three occasions i did not manage to catch a glimpse of them. I did however see Sally's new baby at the chimp exhibit, the new meercat pups and Senja the tigeress (no sign of Rokan in the off display enclosure). One thing I did notice that i thought i would share on here is it seems Zahara (i think) has had some major injury to her left eye causing the team at Wellington Zoo to remove it and stich up where it once was. Is this a new injury or something that happend awhile back that I have only just noticed. Also, it might not be the direct result of a injury, the eye could of possibly been infected etc.

Any clues to what might have happend ?

IMG20220112122157.jpg

IMG20220112122204.jpg

9. Jambo

Re. The tigers, I’m assuming you mean Bashi? Rokan died back in 2016.

The injury on Zahra’s eye is definitely something new. It wasn’t there early last year. It was probably caused by an infection.

10. Joe Franklin

Joe Franklin Member

Yes. I ment to say Bashi

11. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The chimp born last year to Sally has been confirmed as male. From their social media:

"It’s a boy! After many weeks of patience, our Primate team have finally been able to get close enough to Sally and her baby to confirm its sex. We are pleased to announce that Sally gave birth to a happy, healthy male. Keepers are happy with the strong bond between mother and son, and visitors have enjoyed seeing the duo make the most of the Wellington summer. We are still working on a name for Sally’s baby but expect to make an announcement soon. Make sure to keep an eye on this page!"

Patrick Keegan and Jambo like this.
  12. Zealandiatherium

Zealandiatherium Member

Oh yes sorry, My favorite resident there is the elusive Himalayan monal male, His beautiful colours and iridescent sheen please me greatly.

13. Zoofan15

Yes, male Himalayan monal are stunning. I didn’t seen him on my three most recent visits, but have seen the equally impressive male at Hamilton Zoo.

Their clutch size is 4-6, so even a single breeding event at either zoo would be a significant boost. I believe Hamilton and Wellington’s current stock came from private breeders. It’d be interesting to know how many of these birds remain in New Zealand.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2022
  14. Zoofan15

Chimpanzee infant named:

Sally’s infant is a male and has been named Akida, a Swahili name meaning chief or diplomat.

Jambo likes this.
  15. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any at Hamilton zoo for a long time now, I will ask when I am in next if they still hold the species. From memory they were in the small primates collection in parrot court so perhaps just off display after the recent refresh?

Zealandiatherium and Zoofan15 like this.
  16. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Two Bolivian Squirrel Monkeys have been born to females Rosa and Kantuta. From their social media page.

17. Zoofan15

Update on Snow leopard habitat:

A construction update was posted on the zoo’s social media this afternoon:

Renovation of the old sun bear exhibit for the Snow leopards continues. The north dens have been demolished, as well as the wall connecting to the maternity wing and dens.

The zoo’s have stated the plan is to expand the size of the existing exhibit for the Snow leopards. From photos, the plan appears to be to merge the sun bear exhibit (two old bear pits) with the maternity wing (one old bear pit) into one large exhibit.

The zoo are currently laying the foundations and drainage system before progressing with landscaping.

18. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Snow leopards are a wise choice for Wellington zoos collection I believe.

19. Zoofan15

They’re a great choice for Wellington’s climate and a smart choice from a tourism perspective as no other zoo in the country has them. Combined with the sun bears, this gives Wellington Zoo something to compete with Auckland Zoo.

I was hoping they’d keep off display maternity annex intact, as that’d be an asset to any breeding efforts, but it appears the zoo have no plans to breed long term (as they’ve previously stated) and they’re instead prioritising expanding the size of the exhibit.

20. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would of thought that Maned wolf’s would have been a nice choice for some of NZ zoos