Join our zoo community

Welsh Mountain Zoo Welsh Mountain Zoo news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by vogelcommando, 16 Apr 2014.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Nisha

From a visit yesterday:

Polecat are no longer in the collection. There enclosure (near the Gibbons) has now been demolished and benches put in its place

Two new bird species have arrived - a pair of Boat Billed Herons are mixed with the Amazon Parrots (near the entrance) and a pair of Black Faced Ibis are now with the Andean Condors

Work is also underway on a new Wallaby enclosure to the right of the Lemur house. The Wallaby's are currently in the former Otter exhibit.

No sign of any work taking place on the Snow Leopard exhibit as yet

4. tennisfan

tennisfan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is Budi on show yet ? He will be 2 years old next week.

5. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. MagpieGoose

Visited today for the first time in nearly four years! Being a fan of this zoo and not living that far away I'm surprised I don't visit more often. Last time I went they were building the new Himalayan areas, which are definitely an improvement. I really liked the feel of the Red Panda exhibit as it provided height climbing opportunities and if the pandas are high enough in the tree you can see them from the Penguin café adding to seeing the Penguins, Flamingos and of coarse the chimps. Glad to see the chimp group is still going strong, at the 'Chimp Encounter' talk, they spoke about the group and that soon females Jessie and Euro may go to other collections to breed at other collection (Jessie is P.t.v and Euro is non-sub) and either the possibility of getting new females or breeding there chimps again when they have the freed up space. Last time I visited the zoo I tended to stay round the non-wooded areas (Not going past the tigers) but today I actually did go in to the wooded areas and saw the owls and other bird of pray. The Common Rhea has now moved in with the Swamp Wallaby leaving there old enclosure empty but talking to a keeper they said that another bird species will be kept there. The Sea Lion show was also very interesting where the keeper said they intend to breed the Sea Lions now the male is of breeding age. I think now for the zoo the only way is up as they have definitely improved from my last visit with the new gibbon enclosure (I personally like the semi-circle enclosures as they are unique to the zoo's style. I look forward to the new Snow Leopard enclosure and Tropical House whenever they come along. The only now shows where the Bears and Margay (I have still never seen a Margay :( ) I really did enjoy today's visit and all the staff were very friendly and happy to answer questions, I will definitely be visiting again.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In the 2014 studbook the chimps Jessie (verus) and Euro (non sub ..?) were both still listed as hybrid, all be it that the male sire was an unknown. It might just be that they sorted out the subspecies question on both, but it requires confirmation somewhere somehow.

BTW: they had 3.2 (before Jessie ..): males Sixpence, Groat and Nickel plus females Mabel (too old to breed - born 1966) and Tuppence (ex Chester).

9. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I visited the zoo today and saw quite a few unusual bird species, many of which are not listed on zootierliste so I thought I'd post an update here in case anyone is interested. I should note that none of these species were signed at all (generally it seemed that the zoo adopted an aquarium approach to signage - sign the main species in each enclosure and never mind any of the others) so there is the possibility of misidentifications, but I think I've IDed everything correctly. I hope to upload pictures eventually.

Species particularly worth noting :
    Lemon Dove
    Yellow-necked Spurfowl
    Ruddy Ground-dove
    Yellow-crowned Bishop

The first three are, according to zootierliste, the only UK holdings for those species and the same can be said for African Golden-breasted Bunting, Jungle Myna, Red Turtle-dove, and Black Francolin. Quite the collection for such a small zoo!

Maguari likes this.
  10. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interesting to know they intend on breeding the sealions, have they bred them here
    before ? Sea lion pups would be a great attraction for visitors
    BTW is there any other species that other zoochatters would like to see at WMZ ? Obviously space isn't in abundance but possibly more colder climate animals. What are people's thoughts ?

11. Nisha

Yeti :rolleyes:

bongorob likes this.
  12. MagpieGoose

Had a short and enjoyable visit today;
    -The zoo have opened a new exhibit called 'Flamingo Lagoon'. This is a walk-in exhibit for the zoo's colony of Chilean Flamingo. It is also home to some Red-crested Pochard, Rosy-billed Pochard, Common Shelduck, Common White-eye and Yellow-billed Duck. It also now provides the Flamingos with a new house with indoor viewing.
    -The zoo now have Darwin's Rhea in the old Greater Rhea (they are with the Swamp Wallabies now).
    -Signage for the porcupines has been taken down and all bedding from there indoor removed.
    -The Asian Short Clawed Otter enclosure is being refurbished, with the Otters being off-show for the time being.
    -Some construction work is also going on between the Red Squirrel enclosure and Grey Partridge. Extensions have been made to the Pine Marten enclosure aswell.
    -Although many of the species would've counted for the 2018 UK Zoochat Challenge, I will be revisiting in the next few months to tick them off for the challenge.

13. MagpieGoose

Revisited today and only thing of note being the arrival of Nepal Kalij Pheasant (1 male and 2 females) in the Macaw aviary by the car park.

FBBird and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. MagpieGoose

Arizona Docent and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  15. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

It looks nice and would draw me back; the current one pretty much put me off visiting again.

16. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Where abouts is this planned exhibit, as surely they would struggle for room in the current area ?

17. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It looks stunning! I really hope it gets built in the next 5-10 years or so!

18. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am sure it will be decent (and I like the Chinese cultural connection), but the rendering does not have me too excited. The exhibit looks more like a rich person's yard than a recreation of the cats' habitat. The manicured lawn with a fountain in the middle does not look very creative, especially with the steep price tag.

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

It's just a graphic, not what it will actually look like. I don't know why zoos release these sort of bland representations that look like they only have options for "flat grass" and "concrete" on their computer programme, but they often do.

But most importantly, it is a waterfall not a fountain.

I do have to wonder about the English aesthetic, though, that would make people enthusiastically state that the picture looks like a great exhibit!

Andy B likes this.
  20. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I meant it looks like the kind of "fountain" that rich people (at least here in the USA) have in their yard. Or that some private gated communities have at their entrance. They have tall artificial rockwork with a waterfall. Anyway I certainly hope @Chlidonias is correct and that the final product will be less sterile than this graphic. Is that a UK or European thing (releasing generic graphics)? Because I don't recall any USA zoos ever doing that. They always release artist renderings of what the final exhibit is supposed to look like.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.