Join our zoo community

Welt der Gifte (Salzburg) Welt der Gifte Salzburg - News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Austria' started by Jobovc, 7 Jul 2019.

1. Jobovc

Jobovc Active Member

(Moderator note: posts in this thread split/copied from the original thread here: How to found a zoo - WdG Greifswald and WdG Salzburg [Welt der Gifte])

Hey there, a very interesting report and an awesome read. I really like your idea and vision but I am wondering how did it all go with the temporary closure of your zoo. Do you have any plans for the future? Would love to visit one day.

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Apr 2020
  2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you for your request. I've found a new job. For that, I've left Germany and moved to Austria. I'm still trying to find a new venue there, which isn't easy.

3. Batto

Today I personally delivered various copies of my finalized application for a local husbandry license to all the relevant federal offices (which, given that they are spread all over town, was quite a task in itself) to make sure that they got to the right place. Now I have to wait and see. Once I've got the green light, I'll send in the zoo license application - fingers crossed! It's kinda reassuring when the clerk in the office greets you with a friendly smile and says "Wait a second - are you that snake / scorpion / spider guy announced by office gossip?" "Eh, yes?" "Wicked!"[He didn't use that exact phrase, but he was nevertheless very positive]

4. Batto

Great news: today I got the official confirmation from the local government that I'm allowed to keep my poisonous and venomous critters at the new location in Salzburg, making me the first official private keeper of these animals in the city of Salzburg and the whole federal state of Salzburg.

Next step: applying for the zoo license.

5. Batto

Tired, but happy: starting at 3am, I've successfully transported all my venomous critters from their temporary stay in Germany to the new location in Salzburg. All animals are alive and appear to do well. There's still plenty to do, but I made another big step towards reopening the WdG.

6. Batto

Still waiting for the federal reply regarding my zoo license. My terraria manufacturer is lagging behind the intended DL due to the tanks being destroyed in an accident on the way to the venue.
    In the meantime, I took in a few venomous (and one poisonous) animals from the reptile shelter in Munich. Among others:
    - a North African scorpion (Hottentotta gentili) found in a Bavarian health food store (almost sounds like the sequel to Pixar's "Bugs").
    - a black widow found in a box with components meant for a BMW factory.
    - an Asian huntsman spider (Heteropoda venatoria) brought in with a commercial fruit delivery.
    - an African toad (Sclerophyrs capensis or regularis) that travelled to Germany as a stowaway in the luggage of a German tourist from South Africa.
    This weekend, I'm off to Hamm to pick up some lovely Bitis for the HdN and a juvenile Echis coloratus for WdG. #toxicroadtrip ;)

7. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So how are the saw scaled viper and new Bitis doing? :)

8. Batto

All three are doing well. :) Little Echis ate her first mouse in her new home, and the two baby Gaboon vipers are doing well at HdN. For photos of them, take a look at WdG's FB or Instagram account.

Happy Holidays to all of you!

9. Batto

Today's federal veterinary audit went along splendidly; another great step towards obtaining the zoo license. Maybe I'm going to be able to open officially this Easter.
    For impressions of the current state of the exhibition, take a look at WdG's FB and Instagram account.

10. Batto

Yesterday I finally received the long anticipated phone call from the federal veterinary office that WdG has been officially categorized as a category A zoo, which is the highest category of zoos in Austria. The written confirmation is on its way.

CGSwans likes this.
  11. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Congratulations, Batto.

Batto likes this.
  12. Batto

Thank you @CGSwan.

Originally, I had to open officially over the Easter Holidays. Now it's just wait and see...

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

We are all shivering with antici....

14. TeaLovingDave

[​IMG]

Mo Hassan likes this.
  15. TeaLovingDave

....pation.

16. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

:confused:I don't think you can get jump scared by a photograph on a forum about zoos, but this is as close as it gets.:D

Mo Hassan likes this.
  17. Batto

The other day, I received a reply by the local chamber of commerce on behalf of my question when I'd be allowed to open. Apparently, according to the latest federal requirements, this would be...July.
    Not really the reply I was hoping for.

This means that I'm going to lose more money on maintenance costs without any chance to get any money in. And I can't ask for any federal financial support since my exhibition wasn't opened prior to COVID-19.

Fortunately, I'm not 100% financially dependent on WdG (confirming that it was a good idea to start small). I'm going to switch jobs mid-May, so thanks to the improved income, I'll be able to balance out the losses. In the meantime, I continue taking care of my animals and will invest more in my PR strategy to start as efficiently as possible in (*sigh*) July, after waiting for almost a year by now. Qué será, será.

18. Batto

Ganz schön giftig!

I'm going to open on the 6th of June, 2020, at 10:10 am.

I hope I'll be able to finish my leech tank till then. ^^

19. TeaLovingDave

Excellent news :D

Batto likes this.
  20. Batto

Opening teaser: