Join our zoo community

Werribee Open Range Zoo Werribee Open Range Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'Australia' started by WhistlingKite24, 22 Jan 2019.

1. kelvin

kelvin Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Jambo, Tafin and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In addition to Kifaru (2009), I believe they currently have three females - Letaba (1992), Sisi (1996) and Kipenzi (2013). The 2011 studbook lists them as holding several others but I can only find reference to these three females in recent media releases.

Letaba was the mother of the first Southern white rhinoceros born at Werribee. He was named Ganini and was born 25/09/2002. He now lives at Australia Zoo and has sired four calves

Sisi is the mother of Kipenzi. She has given birth to at least four other calves, which died in infancy (including one that was killed by Sisi).

4. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Don't hold your breath for a birth at Werribee. For reasons unbeknownst to me, they have a very poor breeding record.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Part and parcel is also an effective bull rhino!

Plus having your daughter rhino in the herd is a recipy for failure!

Tafin likes this.
  6. Zoofan15

Kifaru at 10 years of age is an unproven breeder; but he is a large bull and his father (Kruger) is the most successful breeding bull in New Zealand. Kruger successfully mated with all three of the adult cows at Hamilton Zoo upon his introduction to them - two of which had failed to breed with the previous bull. He has to date sired six calves, with a seventh due next year.

And yes, there are many examples of young females failing to conceive when housed with their mother. It’s a shame as Kipenzi at six years of age is at the perfect age to conceive her first calf. The reproductive potential of the two older females (aged 23 and 27) will be limited; though both have bred before and could potentially conceive into their late 30s.

7. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last edited: 13 Nov 2019
    Elephantelephant and Zoofan15 like this.
  8. Jambo

In addition to these individuals, WORZ has another 2.1, Leeroy, Umgana, and Make Make. They were all mentioned in a Zoos Victoria newsletter from around a year ago. Leeory and Umgana are definitely still alive, but there was a missing female from my last visit (a few weeks ago). From memory, the tour guide only mentioned Letaba, Sisi, and Kipenzi, so I believe Make Make may have passed recently.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  9. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

10. Jambo

I visited WORZ on the weekend, and have confirmed from a keeper that they do indeed still have 3.4 Southern White Rhinoceros. Make (1981), and Leeroy (1980), are retired off display (in the enclosures above the cliff, following the Texas Longhorn enclosure). Umgana (1988), Letaba (1992), Sisi (1996), Kifaru (2009), and Kipenzi (2013) all live in the Lower savannah, but in two groups: Umgana, Letaba and Sisi in one, and Kifaru and Kipenzi in the other. Both groups rotate display in the Lower Savannah, and aren’t kept together because (to quote the keeper), “thing’s get a bit to messy”.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to see Kifaru, as Umgana, Letaba and Sisi were on display at the time of my visit. I’m hoping for some future rhino calves from Kipenzi! :)

Kifaru Bwana and Zoofan15 like this.
  11. Zoofan15

Thanks for the update @Jambo. Having the bulls (Umgana) seperate is probably essential; though I’ve heard the scent of a rival bull can stimulate bulls to breed, so maybe this is what they’re hoping to achieve by rotating them. Sisi and Kipenzi being kept separate should prevent estrus suppression. :cool:

Kifaru Bwana and Jambo like this.