Join our zoo community

Werribee Open Range Zoo Werribee open range Zoo news 2020

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jambo, 27 Jan 2020.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

An exciting development that is unexpected. Zoos Victoria has announced that a new Koala Hospital is set to be built at WORZ early next year.

The construction costs will be covered by the money donated to the RSPCA for the bushfires. The new koala hospital will treat wildlife from the western regions of the state, and will also increase the zoo’s capacity to care for koalas, native birds, reptiles and mammals.

Zoos Victoria & RSPCA Victoria collaborate to build new koala hospital - Vet Practice Magazine

Zoos Victoria and RSPCA Victoria collaborate to build new koala hospital - Australasian Leisure Management

2. Jambo

News that has seemingly passed under or noses for quite a while now; probably because of lockdown :rolleyes:.

Five Blackbuck calves (one male and four females) were born in March.

Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

Jungle Man and Yoshistar888 like this.
  3. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

State government funding has been secured for Werribee's expansion which includes the relocation of Melbourne Zoo's Asian Elephant herd, an expansion of the lion habitat and the arrival of hyenas. Construction is set to begin as early as next week, according to the news article below.

The zoo's Facebook page:

News article: Elephants move in as Werribee Open Range Zoo expands

Last edited: 4 Nov 2020
    Jambo, Jungle Man, Nisha and 7 others like this.
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This development at Werribee is something to celebrate, if a little overdue. All the same, we are happy this side of the pond and our Aussie friends have something to look forward to!

Would be interested in seeing the design plans (but that is probably a tad premature ...).

PAT and Zorro like this.
  5. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Werribee does appeared to have slipped down between the cracks as far as open range zoos go within the region, It is long over due for an upgrade and expansion and I for one am looking forwards to seeing the progress as it happens, It was a no brainer that the elephants would be moved out of Melbourne from the early days as it was in the sydney case. I would hope Melbourne zoo would consider obtaining Indian rhino to its collection and use the whats now elephant exhibit, If we in the region are serious about this species then we need now to step up with more pairs and in this case no cost to the zoo for a new exhibit!

Tafin, CGSwans and Zoofan15 like this.
  6. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jambo, babirusa101, Tafin and 5 others like this.
  7. Zorro

I would of thought that the elephants relocation would of been more important then Bison if they wanted to keeping breeding the cows with out to much time between calfs.

kiwimuzz, Tafin and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. Zoofan15

Agreed, though zoos always seem to do the low key sh-t nobody cares about first, when working through their masterplan. Auckland Zoo kicked of their otherwise epic master plan by building the cafe.

That said, December 2023 is only three years away. They could easily start breeding a couple of the cows now; and then move them with their one year old calves in 2023.

Jambo, kiwimuzz, Tafin and 2 others like this.
  9. Kifaru Bwana

Me too.

Zorro likes this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

It is wasting 3 valuable years of elephant cow cycling, that is. They do not have forever, you know!

11. Zoofan15

No, I agree. What I was saying is that it’s only three years i.e. factoring in the 22 month pregnancy, they might as well commence breeding immediately, as any calves born at Melbourne would only have to be there (taking up space) for 6-12 months.

Elephantelephant, Tafin and Zorro like this.
  12. Kifaru Bwana

That seemed already quite clear to me.

Plainly said, they have up till now already some good time has "wasted" (as it is). It is not something that is like reparable later on in life. More like once gone, it is opportunity missed.

Sorry for being so blunt, but across regions and continents I have seen this happen over the last 2 decades with pachyderms in general.

Two things are very important:
    Ideally, give animals 2-5 years to settle, if nothing happens within this timeframe that comes down to animal compatability and mating versus successful reproduction, consider it will not happen, is a failure and change the social structure and make up of your breeding group. Again, it should be paramount any housing and husbandry issues should have been addressed beforehand.

If you hold any primiparous non-breeding individuals beyond 20+ years old, consider it to have been a failure. You might want to try an put the animal(s) in for potential late AI or hormonal therapy (which ideally should already have been considered and tried previously before age 20) in a group of non-breeders, but it becomes a risk then.

Zoofan15, Zorro and StoppableSan like this.
  13. Zorro

I agree overall with your comments and go further to say things in general in the major zoos in Victoria have been flat lined for quite some time, it almost appears that Werribee zoo was of little interest to those who manage it and just stagnated for a long time, I am really hoping with the long over due upgrade and expansion leads to much greater things for the zoo and just to finish here I believe putting common Bison (found on many farms in oz) before the Asian elephant breeding program is a backwards step and they could of done better but counting our blessings at least something in at last getting done! ;)

14. Jambo

I received the Summer 2020-21 Zoo News today in the mail and it was overall a nice read.

The most exciting thing that was mentioned though, was that the new development will also hopefully feature a clan of Hyena (most likely Spotted)! :) Brilliant news for a species that has never been held at Werribee before. If they follow through with their plans, WORZ will become the seventh holder of Hyena in the region, with Monarto, Adelaide, Sydney, National, Altina, and Perth.

Last edited: 2 Dec 2020
    Zorro likes this.
  15. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Yeah this has already been announced in this news thread and has been part of their plans for quite a while. There are actually six current holders of Spotted Hyena in the region - Adelaide Zoo, Altina Wildlife Park, Monarto Safari Park, National Zoo and Aquarium, Perth Zoo and Sydney Zoo.

Jambo and Zorro like this.
  16. Jambo

Time is slowly ticking away with Kulab (2000). She is now 20 and last gave birth over 10 years ago. It would, in my opinion, be a miracle if she was successfully able to conceive a calf at Werribee in 2024 and give birth in 2026, 16 years since her last calf was born. That would have to be a massive achievement and some sort of record.

Dokkon (1993) will be 30 at the time of the move, and if she conceives quickly, will deliver a calf in 2026 at the age of 33, about 12 years after her last birth.

Num-Oi (2001), despite having no living descendants, and Mali (2010) should be alright in my opinion. Mali can always have her first calf at 16 whereas Num-Oi could have a 10 year gap between her calves (it has been done multiple times in the past). If I was Melbourne, I would AI both Kulab and Dokkon sometime in 2022, so they could give birth upon arrival at WORZ, whilst Num-Oi and Mali could either conceive naturally there (if Putra Mas is present) or through AI. I really think Melbourne ought to at least have tried with Kulab last year. It’s a shame it’s gotten to this point where we may have a cow that won’t reproduce again.

Elephantelephant and Zorro like this.
  17. Zoofan15

I’m not overly concerned for Kulab at present since she is 20 years old. A female must conceive before 24 years old, so as long as they do AI with her in the next four years (they will likely do it prior to the move), there should be no issue. The fact it’s been 10 years since her last calf is negligible since she is under 24.

The cow to be concerned about is Dokoon. We’re getting close to a decade since her last calf and that could be detrimental to her chances of conceiving. They really need to look at doing AI ASAP.

Personally, I would repeat the two cows on; two cows of breeding regime they followed in 2010/2013 by doing AI on Dokoon and Kulab; then following with Num Oi and Mali three years later.

Elephantelephant likes this.
  18. Zorro

I tend to agree, leaving it to long between calfs is perhaps not a grand idea. What is somewhat surprising is with the amount of effort and trouble getting them here in the first place and then almost now no breeding taking place, They should be taking the full advantage of breeding what they can while they can. I really hope they dont end up becoming mismanaged like some of the other animal groups, With regrets down the track I dont know for sure if there is a so called national action plan between holders within the region but I really hope each holder is not just playing their own tune :rolleyes:

19. Jambo

It could be done with Kulab, but it is recommended females give birth for the first time before the age of 20. I just don’t know why breeding stopped following Willow in 2016. AI could have been done with Putra Mas, but it’s just a disappointment they’ve let it get to this point. Research has shown that it is extremely beneficial for female Asian Elephants to breed naturally, and that prolonged gaps between their calves can impact their reproductive system.

Man Jai is not even seven yet, so she could be inseminated in early 2022, a little bit over 8 years since Man Jai was born. Dokkon already has two living descendants anyway, whereas both Kulab and Num-Oi have none.

100% agree with your Elephant breeding gap plans. Taronga’s way means you only get to see Elephant calves every six or seven years, whilst Melbourne’s allowed visitors to see some every 2-3 years whilst still allowing the females to have those artificial age gaps. Much smarter in my opinion. I would love to see Num-Oi have a successful calf. She is a very maternal female, and has had strong bonds with the Zoo’s previous young bulls, Ongard and Man Jai. She has been very unfortunate with the losses of her two calves, as she (in my opinion) is the best mother in the herd.

It is a shame that Melbourne is not taking full use of the fact that they somehow managed to get eight Elephants in after all the protests and all of their hard work. They should be taking full advantage of that, as they might not get the chance to do that again in the future. Taronga has done alright with their management of their Elephants, but I would like to see more from Melbourne. And it’s all starting with the new 20 hectare Asian Elephant exhibit at Werribee.

Elephantelephant likes this.
  20. Zorro

I feel it would be a better option to put the Bison on the back burner and start with the new elephant exhibit and complete the whole project in one go instead of doing just stage one!