Join our zoo community

Werribee Open Range Zoo Werribee Zoo News 2015/2016

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Sunbear12, 19 Feb 2015.

1. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

2. Jabiru96

3. Jabiru96

4. Jabiru96

The lion cubs now have names:

5. Jabiru96

6. Tygo

Tygo Well-Known Member 10+ year member

African Lion Tonyi Passed away on the 31 of December 2015.
    A sad farewell to much-loved lion, Tonyi | Zoos Victoria

7. Jabiru96

In response to a question on Facebook, the zoo has disclosed that Tula the serval died on 1st January (2015) from a tiger snake bite, leaving her sisters Nanki and Morili:

8. Jabiru96

9. Jabiru96

10. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Keepers are caring for an African Spurred Tortoise which was abandoned in a bush at the zoos main gate. Since this species is banned in Victoria, Police would like a word with the man who dumped it....

No Cookies | Herald Sun

A RARE tortoise banned in Victoria has been found dumped at Werribee Zoo.

The African spurred tortoise was left in a bush at the venue on Tuesday at about noon.

A man entered the ticketing office and had a short conversation with a zoo employee before allegedly dumping the female reptile, native to the Sahara Desert, nearby.

The tortoise is aged between five to eight and weighs just over 13 kilos.

It’s illegal to have the species in Victoria as it can harm native animals through transmission of exotic diseases.

The Department of Environment is now trying to find who abandoned the creature.

We have contacted Crime Stoppers Victoria for assistance with our investigation in to this incident,” senior department investigator Stephen Lavelle said.

“We have released CCTV images of a man we believe may be able to assist in our investigation.”

“We’re trying to ascertain where this animal came from and why it was left at the zoo.”

The man investigators wish to speak with appeared caucasian, tanned and about 172cm with a slight build and close cropped dark hair.He wore a black close-fitting sport-style T-shirt and long trousers, possibly sandals or thongs and black sunglasses.

Anyone with information is urged to phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or the Environment Department on 136 186.

11. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sad news :( This lion has left a strong legacy in Australasia having produced four cubs (all female) in 2001: Amali, Amira, Kuchami and Kutaza, all of which are still alive. Three of those cubs have bred.

Amali has produced 2.1 cubs in 2004 at the Adelaide Zoo. The female is a mother of 1.2 at Monarto Zoo, while the males have many decendents at the Taiping Zoo.

Amira produced 1.1 cubs in 2004 at the Auckland Zoo.

Kuchami produced 1.1 cubs at the Taronga Zoo in 2003. The male has recently fathered 3.0 cubs at Werribee.

12. Jabiru96

Female bison calf born:

13. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member

Wow! so Werribee's breeding male is actually the grandson of the male that's just died! I didn't realise that, very interesting!

14. Jabiru96

Yep! Tonyi > Kuchani (now at Hunter Valley Zoo) > Johari (breeding male at Werribee) > his three sons (Kubwa, Kito & Kashka)

15. Jabiru96

16. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member

We visited again on the week end, and below are a few observations made from our time there. As always, the grounds are very well cared for and create a very authentic African atmosphere.
    *on the bus tour, the driver completely ignored or forgot to mention the addax, the oryx or waterbuck, instead she chose to point out and talk about the camels bison, native birds and presvelski horses. The commentary seemed very child orientated and only gave very basic information on the animals.
    *the waterhole paddock was empty of animals (the waterbuck and a small group of Blackbuck were seen in the off show paddocks but not mentioned) All the fig trees seem to have died off which I found disappointing as they would have made an authentic jungle effect in a few years time.
    *The breeding group of zebra were in the first paddock over the river (6 individuals) and then the long horned cattle. This was the first time I had seen them, and the 4 cows had most impressive horns - I thought they were a very good substitute for Ankole cattle.
    *The African village was passed without any mention being made of it - in previous visits, they played a recording of a lady describing life in such a village.
    *the main African savannah enclosure has had high black mesh fences installed all around which I found very obvious. In some parts, the mesh stopped about 1 metre from the ground and then several straight wires were filling in the bottom. The fences were almost 4 metres high, so I don't really understand what purpose they were there for or why the old fences were replaced.
    *The guide mentioned that the 2 groups of zebras in the main savannah exhibit were non breeding now, and said this is their retirement home. Overall numbers of zebra seemed to be down from my previous visits (being my favorite animal, I always count them!)
    *The Eland were very briefly pointed out, the only antelope to be mentioned. About 12 were on display, all were sitting down in the distance.
    *I was excited to see the lion cubs which were in the closer of the 2 enclosures. All the lions were doing what lions do best, lying asleep in the shade. The cubs seem to be growing very fast and were bigger than I expected them to be. I find with the mesh on their enclosure, it is hard to get a decent photo of them unless they are in front of the glass windows (which they were not!)
    *We actually saw all 3 Gorillas! on previous visits we might have caught a quick glimpse of them, but this time they were not shy at all.
    *another highlight was the hippos vocalising as they entered the water - I had never heard hippos bellow - the were quite active in the water also.
    All in all, a very successful trip (we had interstate visitors with us, who were all very impressed with the zoo)

17. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I went out to Werribee a few days ago. It was the 3rd time I've been there. The last time I was there the cheetahs, servals and vervetswere the only exhibits on the walking trail. It was my first look at the lions, hunting dogs, gorillas and hippos.
    The hippo beach was by far my favourite. I couldn't believe how close they are to the public. It would be awesome to be standing in the old ship and have one pop up in front of you. Great exhibit in my opinion.
    I also liked the look of the orange bellied parrot aviary. Unfortunately I was a few weeks to early to see the birds or to get to close to the aviary but it looked good from a distance. I wonder if it will be a single species avairy or whether they add some other species with them. Looking forward to the Victorian members getting out there when it opens and getting some photos.

18. Jabiru96

19. Jabiru96

20. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing this exhibit - I suspect other species may be added too.

And the conservation of this species is especially important, according to the above article, as:
    :eek: