Join our zoo community

Werribee Open Range Zoo Werribee Zoo Update

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jesse, 14 Jan 2010.

1. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

as we all know the zoo has had three serval kittens born and they are now being trained for interaction with the public (unfortunatley the servals will not be on display for some time if not ever). both male lions have bred with the female and some cubs are due to be born in febuary.

because they have bred both male lions with the same female the two boys are fighting. because on the lions carries the white lion gene, some lighter coloured cubs are expected in feb.

for those of you who don't know, the werribee zoo is still castration crazy and castrated armani and thembi the two young giraffe from dubbo. the zoo has also got another young male giraffe named harold in quarantine. they are expecting another male in two weeks time from monarto. harold also came from monarto.

they are currently contemplating whether in 8 years time they will send melbourne's asian elephant babies but they are still stuck in the african theme. i reccomend that they have asian section of the zoo with a second bus system.

if you didn't already know the three bachelor gorillas are going on the main island where the zebras are as you walk in the entry. the gorillas are ready to go in as soon as they build some climbing frames. but the fencing and off exhibit areas seem highly inadequate.

(i thought this was really interesting but many of you probably already know in 1991 there was a flood and the rhinos had to be airlifted out with helicopters they also found a zebra in the werribee river)

2. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I never realised the gorillas would be going in that exhibit and I'm a little bit upset by it because I always put that exhibit as my number two ungulate exhibit I've seen. Oh well there's still the flood plain (which is seriously a flood plain by the sounds of it:))

3. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

i seriously doubt that they will be "going in that exhibit". rather it may be the site of the new gorilla exhibit and jesse is taking things a bit literally from his/her source.

4. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

why are they castrating giraffe for?

5. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

i am just repeating what i have been told, don't shoot the messenger. i was told that "the gorillas are ready to go in as soon as they build some climbing structures". i belive it will be a very simple exhibit for gorillas considering the simplicity of the wild dog exhibit.

(plus i am a guy)

6. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

they wish to calm the giraffe down for public interaction. they should at least keep the next 2 giraffe intact as tony the old male has heridtary problems and cannot breed and the other older giraffe (forget its name) is the only viable male. the werribee zoo also never intends to breed their males. they just want the surplus stock from other zoos such as dubbo and monarto.

7. phoenix

i don't believe i did.

as for castration - its probably not a big deal in this particular case. werribee nominated themselves as the bachelor holder for the countries surplus giraffe. which is great. they only take males that are retired from breeding or are not needed for breeding as they have close breeding relatives. its a one way street and its very, very unlikely that any of them will ever be called out to breed.

i'm pretty sure the castrated giraffe have breeding siblings.

8. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Armandi and Thembi are sons of Nakuru. Nakuru has four, possibly five other sons, Alonge, Njanu, Kindu, Jimiyu and probably Uthuli. So plenty of sons. Nakuru is a pure Rothschilds, and a son of Anthony (Tony) another giraffe at Werribee so no they aren't really required for breeding.

9. m575

m575 Well-Known Member

Wow. For starters, the lioness is not pregnant. They have been trying to breed, but there has been NO statement made, especially not four days ago.

Secondly, from what I've seen, the gorillas are not going where the zebra are. Though I haven't had a chance to check for sure. What I do know for certain, is that there is some major working going on at Werribee this year. Furthermore, it feels as though they are trying to build a bachelor herd. More to come ;) Finally, they don't have the resources for breeding Girraffe, nor any plans.

10. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

according to a tour guide employed by werribee thats whats happening but what you hear isn't nessacarily the truth.

11. m575

m575 Well-Known Member

I'll tell you now that as of yesterday, the lion keepers where unaware of any cubs. ;)

12. phoenix

m575 - do you know if its true that the white gene is present in one or both of the werribee males?

13. m575

m575 Well-Known Member

I think it is, but the reason they where a good breed is because they are second generation wild lions. So therefor, they where worth it. ie, the dad white was wild.

14. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

m575, does the female carry the white lion gene?

15. m575

m575 Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure sorry. I'll try find out for you. As far as I know, and I'm 95% sure, their won't be any Cubs for at least another 5 months.. at a guess. DEFINITELY not in Feb it seems... There also seems to be a few organisations interested in the breeding. More on that as it's released to the press. ;)

16. Ben

Ben Member

A wild white lion, why wasnt it killed instantly... SORRY, getting carried away with the white line debate post......for those that havent, take a look.

Was at Weribee on Tuesday, had a fantastic day, took some awesome pics behind the scenes of the hippos. My only complaint is that nothing every changes within the safari tour.....always the same except for the guide.

I believe our guides name was Jen, she is an asset to the Zoo, her deliverance of info and wit, certainly kept me entertained and the others on the tour.

17. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

what would you like to see done to spice up the bus tour?

18. Ben

Ben Member

Its not the bus tour in general, its the enclosures. The outside walking trails, entrance and building have all evolved over the years, but I never see much change within the range area.

19. m575

m575 Well-Known Member

From what I've seen (I never take the bus tour when I go, I only go on the Open Vehicle ;) ) The buses have a few paths to take during the tour, depending on the animals location.. other than that, what CAN really change? They've got their temp exhibits and that's really all they can do?

20. Ben

Ben Member

Begin your pardons sir, it was wrong for a peasent like me to make comment, I shall remain on the bus and refrain from making further comment....lol

Your point is valid, however it seems that if you are willing to pay more, then your safari experience is greatly improved.

So it IS therfore possible to do somthing with the bus tour ???