Join our zoo community

Werribee Open Range Zoo Werribee Zoo Update

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jesse, 14 Jan 2010.

1. animal kid

animal kid Well-Known Member

is there a link to the plan?

2. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

No, but you could become a member for $60 and get access to a wealth of information, including collection plans.

:)

3. animal kid

what website is this? and what are the collection plans for melbourne do you know?

Also could someone show a map of the land that werribee zoo owns?

4. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

5. m575

m575 Well-Known Member

Well I thought I'd put up a post. This info is available if you look in the right places, and ask the right people, so take it how ever you please.

Here is a rough breakdown of Werribee's land: http://whirltools.com/i/werribeema.jpg

It's a 10 year plan that will COMPLETELY change the zoo. The catch, which has been discussed, is funding. It's a costly plan. Works SHOULD have already started, but are being delayed. You should see some in the coming months though, but it most likely won't be to do with the animals :)

Elephants, once again, are last on the agenda. One of the more obvious reasons for this, is that there is currently no where to put them ;) (even in the new map)

*MY* prediction of the first major set of reconstruction would be the relocation of the car park, which gives you an indication of the scope of works!

Upon completion of the upgrade, Werribee will be MUCH MUCH bigger, and it's collection will be increased quite considerably.

6. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Perhaps, instead of being cryptic and hinting at how much you know whilst withholding info, you could just tell us where these "right places" are?

I only have a couple of really slight pieces of info. First is that the 10-year plan does indeed allow for a (slight) extension of Pula by moving the admissions area and shop to the other end of the carpark, which would be incorporated into the zoo proper. I presume the proposed acquisition of land between the road leading into the zoo and the Volcanic Plains would then become the new carpark.

Second is that there are supposed to be six zones for the zoo eventually. This includes the current Pula Reserve, Volcanic Plains and Lower Savannah, as well as three new areas: two of which are, I think, Asia and South America. The sixth? I don't know, but it could well be either North America or the Sahara desert since there are species from both already at the zoo.

7. m575

m575 Well-Known Member

The right places, I do not quite know. I just know they are out there (I get my info from OTHER places) But quite easily, talking to the keepers and guides and looking at press releases will give you this info. :) (or most of) You are quite correct, except for one point. The "Slight" Extenstion is a rather LARGE extension, though I guess the actual Pula trial will stay a similar size. But the over all walking area will increase substantially. The sixth could well be the upper savanah. I haven't actually looked at the areas like that, rather, which animals are going where.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The IZW team has been up at Werribee to KI to female white rhinos at the zoo? Any of you guys and gals know which 2 (both elder females?)?

9. m575

m575 Well-Known Member

I think it was Sperm from Kapamba and ???? inserted into Letaba and Make? They also did one of the Przewalski horses, though can't remember which one.

10. animal kid

With this plan what is expected to begin first and could you maybe tell a little bit more about the areas what us the upper savannah going to be and what species will come go etc?

I really think that if this is done carefully and weel then werribee could become one of australia's best zoo's!

and won't the sixth zone be the $25 million jungle precinct? or is that the asian part of the zoo

11. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Mate, if I knew more I would have posted it.

12. m575

m575 Well-Known Member

Upper Savanah is, afaik, primarly black rhino, and different species of antelope, POSSIBLY (can't remember) Grevy Zebra.(I know they are trying to get them) I'll try find out more about the 6 sections to confirm if the 6th one is in fact the upper savanah (which, by the way, is slowly under construction)

13. animal kid

So the upper savannah is the first stage? and what antelope species will be accquired and will it just become part of the bus tour?

and does anyone know about plans for the other areas? is the asian area going to be forest or grasslands or even mountains?

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

are there any Grevy's zebra in Australia currently?

15. m575

m575 Well-Known Member

From memory, upper savanah started last year.. looking through City West Water's public records could tell you the exact date.. however, I'm not sure WHEN it will be completed. The current plan is to have one of the primate enclosures done (I honestly don't know which one, as it seems to have changed a few times..) by the end of the year.. though I don't see that happening.. Don't think they have the funding yet! It's a fairly messy process!

16. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

There could be ONE old zebra left up in the NT other than that no.

I wish we did have them in Oz.

17. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

18. m575

m575 Well-Known Member

Haha. Told you. It was a toss up between the Gorilla's and baboons i think? From memory, that's only a "temp" (long term temp) exhibit. Either that, or they will be building another, similar, exhibit, nearby (where the cafe currently sits)

19. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

Last edited: 16 Jul 2010
  20. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Sad but not enexpected. His bloodline has certainly done well here with almost all giraffes in Australia born in the last5-10 years being his descendants.