Join our zoo community

Werribee Open Range Zoo Werribee Zoo Visit

Discussion in 'Australia' started by LOU, 21 Jul 2009.

1. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

For the first time in almost three years i visited WORZ. Arriving at 12:30, i headed out to the Volcanic Plains (first time). The area was very well vegetated and there were 10 - 15 Emus as well as a group of Kangas, Brolgas and Cape Barren Geese with their chicks (so cute!!). There are Eastern-barred Bandicoots as well as wallabies but i couldn't spot any.

I was impressed with the vegetation of the Volcanic Plains but it was lacking a diversity of species which seemed to bore many people (not myself).

I then began the safari tour. We were driven through the American Bison paddock, then the Preswalski Horse's, then the Blackbuck's and then the Camel and Scimitar-horned Oryx mixed exhibit. On the exit to the latter, there were Congo Buffalo, which the tour guide said are going to Melbourne Zoo as soon as there enclosure has finished being refurbished (is this next to the water recycling plant?).

Next we drove through the bull hippo's lake which the little kids seemed to love. We then entered the Greater Kudu paddock. After the death of their alpha male, the Kudu had accepted a Zebra as his successor. For now this is fine but another male of the same species will eventually be acquired so breeding can restart.

We went on past the Addax and then into the lower savannah floodplain which contains Waterbuck, Eland, Zebra, Southern White Rhinos and Giraffe. The two new Giraffes were in with all the other savannah animals. On our way back we drove past the Witusi(?) Cattle.

I thoroughly enjoyed this and all the animals made appearances.

Now to the Pula Walking Trail. First, i saw two Cheetahs who were right up against the glass and then i headed to the Kubu River Hippos exhibit (first time). And it didn't disappoint. I love the exhibit design and the small family of hippos were all lying stationary on the bank. The small hut with reptiles, frogs and fish was a bonus.

But i was most impressed by the African Hunting Dog enclosure. They could be viewed anywere along the elevated boardwalk as well as in the hut and under the boardwalk. Their exhibit was beautifully crafted and planted with a splendid range of plants. Lions on the Edge was looking great but i heard that the elderly lioness was under veterinary supervision for a medical condition. The Vervet Monkeys were as interesting as ever but i couldn't spot the baby.

I entered the Smugglers Beware exhibition and was pleasantly suprised. Learnt more in here than in the rest of the zoo.

The Watersmart Garden was gorgeous, definately worth the detour and the Chirnside Woolshed re-egnited my mother's memory:D.

Took loads of photos and will upload them when i next get the chance.

Overall, a great visit. I can certainly see this zoo holding Gorillas and Elephants in the future.

:)

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Nice review, and how long did you spend at Werribee?

3. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Could you also give a list of the reptiles, frogs and fish at the hippo enclosure? Were they African or Australian species?

I was under the impression that Werribee held the only kudu in the country; where will they acquire a new male???

4. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I think you are quite right

5. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

I spent 3 and 1/2 hours at the zoo.

The hut had Australian and African species: A bullfrog, a python, one small fishtank (not sure of the species) and freshwater crocodiles. I think that was it.

Werribee no longer have any male kudu but our guide told us they are getting another. Not sure where from though.

6. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Unless they have changed the import laws in regards to Antelopes where would another male come from?, maybe the guide got it wrong.

7. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

the guide is just trying to ease your conscience. they will not be able to acquire any more kudu.

makes you wonder why castrating the only male in the country rather than exhibiting him separately was such a wise move.

8. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Lou, Your photos of the Werribee zoo exhibits are quite interesting the Hippo exhibit looks great, maybe the best in the country?

9. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

Judging from my visits to other zoos and photos posted on this website, i would say Werribee definately has the best hippo exhibit in Australia.

10. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I really liked the riverboat-run-aground viewing area, abd I agree the Hippo enclosure was nice and large, but I'd still put Western Plains Zoo's enclosure as a bit better, now that they have access to an enormous paddock for browsing.

http://www.zoochat.com/82/hippo-grazing-enclosure-2007-a-47842/

:p

Hix

11. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Werribee's hippos have an area at the back of the enclosures for grazing.

12. Hix

Yeah, but it's nowhere near as big!!!

Hix

13. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I have never visited either Werribee or TWPZ, but from photos and from what I've heard from ZooChatters both establishments have huge, amazing, hippo enclosures. However, underwater viewing raises the bar and it is a pity that the open-range zoos in Australia don't have the financial clout to install it in the exhibits.

14. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

but with the size of the earthen ponds you would probably never see the hippos!

15. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

no you wouldn't, and the money it would cost to keep the water clear enough to see the animals just wouldn't be worth it, maybe we'll see sometyhing for pygmy hippos but doubt we'll have underwater viewing for the big fellas

16. Hix

Maybe, if there was something near the windows that would attract the Hippos to the viewing area. Perhaps heaters that warm the water at that location?

Hix

17. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What would be the largest pool that has underwater viewing for river hippos?

Am I right in thinking that land space is much more important for hippos than water space? That it wouldn't make much difference to them whether they had, say, 100sqm of water area or 200sqm?

18. Hix

Hippos usually spend the day in the water - all day. But at night they come out to graze and will spend several hours doing so. However they feel most secure in the water, and if something unsettles them they head straight back into the water.

Hix

19. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

You're right, CGSwans, hippos don't need a large lake to swim in to be happy.
    They don't swim up and down, doing laps, they just wade into the water, flop, and stay put. In zoos they get by quite well with a pool the size of a backyard swimming pool, live long lives and breed well.

The only reason to give them a large lake is for visual effect for visitors.

20. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nile does laps of her enclosure in the morning at Dubbo, when it's nice in the water. Hippo are very territorial and Cows will spend most of their lives in one section of river.