Join our zoo community

West Midland Safari and Leisure Park West Midland Safari Park 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 9 Jan 2020.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

But you're setting up a strawman to argue against, because no-one has unduly criticised the zoo in the first place.

All people have done is say something that you actually agree with.

Brum and pipaluk like this.
  2. taun

taun Well-Known Member

And you're picking a fight with me for pointing out it might not be as simple as that. Its all I have done.

So I'm not allowed to point out something, because it doesn't fall in with your thinking?

3. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I am picking a fight with you (metaphorically) I suppose, and if I've done so too aggressively then I apologise.

I don't (and didn't) object to your original post:

My 'beef' was with the second one, where you said that people were portraying the situation as black and white, with the implication being that they should be less critical. Whenever there is this sort of incident there will usually be comments of this nature. It annoys me because I think it tends in the direction of an atmosphere where people may not feel free to make reasonable criticisms of zoos, especially in cases where something has clearly gone wrong.

To state it plainly, it's obviously fine for you to disagree with other people, whether or not I personally agree. I am just trying to point out that the way you then referred the views of others is not particularly productive (and yes the irony is apparent to me also).

Brum and Shirokuma like this.
  4. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I-ve only just read this on the BBC news website.Judging by the wild dogs natural hunting behaviour, it's quite shocking how those deer and sheep would have died so brutally,..but this IS how wild dogs hunt in their free state.! Shocking though for the keepers that were caring for the sheep and deer.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

TNT, Zorro and Elephantelephant like this.
  6. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There is a newsflash from Facebook as everyone at West Midland Safari Park is getting ready for the reopening very soon but there's no date for it just yet however you can do a Survey about it

7. bintarong

bintarong Well-Known Member

They confirmed on the website that all construction will be delayed until the park re-opens :(

8. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There is some good news as West Midland Safari Park will be reopening it's doors on Monday 15th

Ned likes this.
  9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The park now have just three Persian Fallow Deer after the accident with the Hunting Dogs a few month ago. Photos I've seen indicate it is two does/females and one young one- the park have since confirmed that a female fawn was born in May. So it appears this group- the only one in the UK- currently stands at just 0.3. Such a sad outcome but hopefully they can import a fresh male in due course and continue with them.

10. bintarong

Does anyone know how WMSP will upgrade their elephant and cheetah enclosures ? Finding somewhere for them to go while construction happens is defiantly tricky. Also someone told me that the Asian Lowland will be removed for the new elephants and the image seems similar size. Can anyone confirm this ?

11. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Has anyone been yet? Do you just get the drive round or can you park up and visit the Hippos?

Brum and devilfish like this.
  12. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I visited today. A busy day but my first visit in ages. Drive-round safari was open, with feeding permitted as usual. Only a few areas are closed at present - the most significant for me were the bat and lemur walkthroughs, and a stretch of road in the African area which drives past Buffalo Boma (is that still there?). Hippos are accessible. :)

The elephant exhibit is under construction, it seems to stretch alongside Asian lowlands - the area is immediately to the left of the road as you are about to leave the Asian lowlands area (after driving past the current elephant exhibit). Generally it's opposite the tiger enclosures (with the plains in between) and it seemed to use some of the African area too.

Nisha, cliffxdavis, bintarong and 3 others like this.
  13. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

@devilfish judging by the state of the building site would you expect the new African Elephant enclosure to be completed within the next year? Also do you know if more African Elephants will be arriving at West Midlands Safari Park,to Join Five,Latebe and Sutton? If there are more Elephants joining the heard could you please tell me what Zoo/Safari Park they are moving from? I would not be surprised if the heard at Beaval Zoo in France moves to West Midlands Safari Park. It’s delighted me that West Midlands Safari Park are extending thier African Elephant enclosure.Elephants are one of my favourite animals and more and more English collections are relocating thier Elephants overseas. Hopefully the addition of a new and enlarged Elephant enclosure at West Midlands will be the start of Elephants returning to English collections. Also regarding Sutton the son of Five do you know if there any plans to move him to become a breeding Bull. I say this as Sutton is now about seven years old and probably sexually mature. As the African Elephant is a criticality endangered species I am surprised that West Midlands have allowed Sutton to remain in a non breeding heard for this long. Take Jambo the Elephant born at Colchester Zoo for example,Jambo moved on when he was half the age that Sutton is now.

bintarong likes this.
  14. QuadRr

QuadRr New Member

African elephants are listed as vulnerable species.

Maybe there isn’t a suitable home for Sutton yet, or possibly the ongoing pandemic has made things more difficult. However I’m only assuming..
    How old is Latebe and Five? And are the females related can I ask?

bintarong likes this.
  15. bintarong

I was talking to one of the keepers and she stated that they are keeping Sutton for the new breeding bull and they are receiving more females for a new breeding herd. This was around August last year when they had just released the new renovations.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2020
    Elephantelephant and Embu like this.
  16. bintarong

Looks like I was right about the Asian lowlands! Any photos or images ?

Last edited: 17 Jul 2020
  17. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That sounds like a good idea as Sutton is genetically valuable having a wild bull as his father. Unsure where his mother and Aunt would move to but great news anyhow

Elephantelephant and bintarong like this.
  18. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

@bintarong Will West Midlands Safari Park move Five on to pastures new? I ask this as surely keeping Sutton with his mum in a breeding heard is not a sensible decision. I say this as Sutton will no doubt try and have intercourse with Five! If West Midlands decide to use contraception to prevent inbreeding between Five and Sutton on it would be an even worse descision. I say this because African Elephants are listed as vulnerable to extinction. As a result of this status,using contraception on Five who is a perfectly healthy sexually active cow would be an incredibly bad idea.
    If I worked at West Midlands Safari Park I would definitely leease with the coordinator of the African Elephant Studbook,and ask them to move Sutton instead of using contraception on Five. I think the most suitable scenario for Sutton would be moving him Noah’s Ark zoo Farmon the outskirts of Bristol. This is my opinion as Noah’s Ark has a bachelor heard of African Elephants as well as the biggest Elephant Enclosure in Northern Europe.

kind regards The Hedgehog

19. bintarong

I can only agree with you ! Fives is still perfectly capable of breeding and the species needs every birth possible. I had this debate with Joe :p(My tour guide at WMSP) the new exhibit should allow for Sutton to be separated from his mother and aunt and allow him to be with new females. But I can only agree to send Sutton off and get a new male and females for maximum breeding ! However this was over a year ago and I wasn't allowed to disclose anything to the general public so the plan may have changed.

20. bintarong

Brilliant idea ! This is the sort of studbook keepers I wish we had, The Noah ark zoo could swap Sutton for another male for breeding purposes.