Join our zoo community

West Midland Safari and Leisure Park West Midland Safari Park 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 9 Jan 2020.

1. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I remember when I went there 10 years it's incredible and it's the first time I have seen white lions and white tigers in my real life

bintarong likes this.
  2. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

Jambo will move because he doesn't get along with dominant cow Matla in Valencia. It is possible that he will be moved back to England, but it is not yet known.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

@Elephantelephant if Jambo does return to his home country which Zoo or Safari Park do you think will most likely become his new abode?

4. The Hedgehog

@Elephantelephant If Jambo does move back to England I’ll be a dream come true and definitely visit him. I have always wanted to see Jambo the most famous European Elephant in the flesh. I used to watch the Series Zoo Days that was presented by Konnie Huq. I even remember Jambo when he first emergrated to Valencia as a mere 4 year old. I wish that I could rewatch the Zoo Days series and record in onto a DVD!

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. zoosafari123

zoosafari123 Well-Known Member

I've got it on DVD, it's absolutely brilliant - I always stick it on if I've got nothing else to do :)

6. The Hedgehog

@zoosafari123 can you guide me to a website or shop where I could buy a copy of this brilliant TV series.

@zoosafari123 I hope that yourself and your family remain self and well throughout the Coronavirus pandemic?

Kind regards The Hedgehog

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Aug 2020
  7. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just to get back on track of WMSP are hybrid giraffe Strider and Henry still going strong here?
    Also are they still the only safari in Britain with all the Big Five?

8. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

They no longer hold leopard and I believe they dont have buffalo either?

9. zoosafari123

zoosafari123 Well-Known Member

I bought the series on DVD just after it aired from the gift shop at colchester zoo. But yes, let's get back on topic!

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Aug 2020
  10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have the Buffalo all gone now? - there were about five in their own enclosure near the exit to the drive-through reserves.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Elephantelephant

I think the best would be the West Midlands. He could breed with Five and other cows (if they get any breeding cows). It certainly won't be Colchester and Howletts, and I doubt Noahs Ark will get rid of his males and start a breeding herd, because they would have nowhere to place them. Rather, I think that the Impy and Mchumba will get from the Howletts soon, because they urgently need to move them and there is no place elsewhere in Europe. But it is also possible that Jambo will move elsewhere than to Britain. For example, Sosto or Vienna would be a good choice.

12. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Still a couple left. Now off show due to the new route round the park.

Pertinax likes this.
  13. The Hedgehog

@Elephantelephant I think that Jambo could very likely pack his truck and emergrate back to England,to reside at West Midlands Safari Park. With this in mind I would not be surprised if Noah’s Ark not only welcome Mchumba and Impy from Howletts but also Sutton from West Midlands. The trio of young Bulls that I have mentioned are all of the age that they could move to a bachelor heard. In addition to this if Sutton moved to Noah’s West Midlands could keep Five and intergrate her and Laitebe into the expanded herd that they hope to form next year?

Elephantelephant likes this.
  14. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m sure I’ve read in this thread before that the plan is to breed from Sutton, so I unfortunately for you can’t see this move happening.

bintarong and Embu like this.
  15. The Hedgehog

@JoeDK14 if Sutton does eventually become West Midlands Safari Park’s breeding Bull African Elephant what will happen to Five? @Elephantelephant do you have an answer or at least a thought on Five’s future?

16. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@JoeDK14 I believe you're correct. From looking into Sutton's history his father is a wild bull so he's genetically very important from what I gather. For this reason WMSP will want to keep him

17. The Hedgehog

@Embu yes Sutton was consived though Artificial Insemination (AI). Sutton’s dad is a wild Bull African Elephant named Steve. I also believe but can anyone confirm that Five Sutton’s Mum is also wild born.

18. Elephantelephant

Personally, I think it would be better to move Sutton elsewhere. As an important bull, it can be used anywhere. Only if they wanted to move Five and Latabe would it make sense to keep Sutton. But I still think that you can become a successful breeding bull in 6 years at the earliest.

Pertinax likes this.
  19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

But a male so young, though fertile, would not be any use with grown or adult females he couldn't reach or who would dominate him- only with small young females. I suspect WMSP staff currently might indicate they want to keep him because he's 'theirs' already and born there, but things may turn out differently. I've been told similar things by keepers in zoos about other animals in the past and then you find different decisions are made that are out of their hands, so to speak. As you said he could still be used as a breeding male anywhere when he is older.

20. Elephantelephant

I fully agree.

bintarong likes this.