Join our zoo community

West Midland Safari and Leisure Park West Midland Safari Park 2021

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by The Hedgehog, 4 Jan 2021.

1. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

I know that the Elephant Loges are being completed and opening this year,but has any progress been made on the new African Elephant enclosure and when will the new Elephants join Five and Latebe?

bintarong likes this.
  2. bintarong

bintarong Well-Known Member

Enclosure is complete, the lodges wiring and house and a few boulders possess the main issue and crate training of course. I've been told that they want 6 elephants in total. 1 male and 5 females. They aren't in a rush to get the females until Sutton is mature. However I was told this in a conference in December , this could vary due to the National lockdown.

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Jan 2021
    Kifaru Bwana and zoosafari123 like this.
  3. bintarong

West Midds has confirmed that the cheetahs for cheetah lodge are from Montpellier Zoo in France. They have apparently been on site since 2020. Asrael and Bappe are both brothers I believe ,both parks make Bappe's gender a little confusing but Arseal is male. Asrael is identified by the white tip on his tail and Bappe has a black tip. So West Midds will have 2 Enclosures, bachelor(Lodges) and breeding(Current) ! This will change into purely breeding at the Lodges overtime :D

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Jan 2021
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. The Hedgehog

@bintarong the new Elephants are not arriving for a few years then

bintarong likes this.
  5. bintarong

Originally yes, however I'm going for another conference on the 14th of Feb,I'll have a proper date then

6. The Hedgehog

@bintarong can you please let me know about the new African Elephants ASAP after you have been to the conference?

bintarong likes this.
  7. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

Let's hope he at least tries AI at Five. It would be a shame not breed a genetically valuable cow at breeding age.

bintarong and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to Facebook there has been a birthday today and it's one of the giraffes called Fennessy who is now 4 years old

How is the construction on the new lodges and upgraded enclosures for both Cheetahs and Elephants getting on so far ?

bintarong likes this.
  9. bintarong

WMSP confirmed on social media that Bappe and Azrael arrived last year and have been settling in well, both brothers will be moving too cheetah lodge.

Quite strange photo of construction in the African section, possibly new home for the African buffalo or new pen for feeding dividers ?

2021-02-04 (4).png

Kifaru Bwana and Jedd Cullinan like this.
  10. bintarong

Phew, after a months worth of visits, photography and interviews I finally have WMSP's full masterplan ! Due to privacy conditions I can only reveal the first 4-5 years which is already in action. The title is 'Wildlife Phase 1' and is broken up into 4 Phases.

Phase 1: Elephants and Cheetahs
    Elephant Enclosure and Lodges. Just over 5 acres the outside is separated into 3 areas. Two 24 hour accessible paddocks (one for the bull and a larger for the females) and the Main day paddock where drivers pass by. The barriers are all natural like logs, river moats, mud walls and boulders. In the paddock consists of multiple artificial baobab trees and real trees for browsing. In the house, The females area can house 5 females plus calves at 325m2 and 1.5m deep sand with two 100m2 hardstands for births and separation. A crush leads to the males section of the house at 238m2 in size accommodating the breeding male. The 6 lodges are to the west of the paddock and will be separated by a dry moat and elevated water moat to create a seamless transition. The park has told me that they need a minimum of 4 females and is seeking 2 more to join the existing heard. They still plan to make Sutton the breeding male eventually, but would like to focus on other areas of more desperate needs while he matures. Photos below shows 2021 January's progress.
    1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png

Cheetah enclosure and Lodges. After the previous cheetah house failed the inspection of 2019 into was moved to a 1st priority along with the elephant enclosure. The new cheetah paddock is to the back left of elephants consisting of 1 large paddock for the bachelor males and two small courtyards. The paddock is overlooked by two mirroring lodges. The paddock will NOT be drive through. The director alerted me to the growing number of cars in the drive through and so wishes to decrease the necessary need to drive around, instead cheetahs will be accessible by a new path by the current hippos that will allow guests to view them in a thatched hut. The same viewing is also happening to elephants. The current cheetah exhibit will be knocked down and left to regrow into the protected heathland.

A new muck clamp is being added by the new safari exit and will be covered by trees and shrubs so guests cant see. The muck clamp is closer to help reduce transportation time for keepers.

New Red Panda enclosure with existing cottage (Between Dino Diner and Santa's Grotto) turned into overnight accommodation and new public viewing shelter.

A new multi-specie house will be built in the North-East corner of African savannah in the area of my previous message as attached below.
    The house will have multiple yards and a large indoor communal area along with separate pens. This will provide housing to primarily African herbivores as the current housing is becoming outdated and will allow the site to breed larger herds. After the Zebra and Congo Buffalo incident this house was also pushed to a priority to allow separation during feeds.

Phase 2: African Redevelopment
    Housing in the African Zone will be on its last legs at this point (As soon as phase 1 is finished so probably 6 months) and so the park will begin its major redevelopments into full immersion !

3 New Housing units will be built behind the Muck Clamp (They assure me the smell will be controlled through immersive barriers, trees ,shrubs, etc) which will house the growing African animal herd, and will allow the park to import more ungulates like blesbok or wildebeest (The example stated however the house can accommodate nearly every animal possible and so is not guaranteed to arrive)

Adjacent will be 2 large enclosures with 4 lodges over looking each and a separately designed house. Rhino and Giraffes ! Their enclosures will separated from the African safari too allow 24 hour access for the species, a drive by system similar to the new elephants enclosure. This will be done through a serious of elevations and rock formations .I've been told they will still be given access to the reserve , however the giraffes cause major issues in traffic and over feeding and so are still under review. These paddocks will also be accessible by the elephant and cheetah path and will connect in a loop to a new path by the education centre.

8 Lodges will also over look the main African reserve in between the lions yard ,with lagoons to attract the African herbivores to venture near the accommodation. A new road for the accommodation runs along the white lions fencing and down to the entrance gate.

Both lions will also get improved 24 hour paddocks and will have a lodge over looking each. I asked about the white lion controversy and the Director stated that they are a separate specie and with their existing popularity they wish to continue to exhibit them for them for the existiable future as a key specie.

Phase 3: Hippos and Tigers
    A new Sumatran Tiger paddock will be built behind the new rhino accommodation, with 4 lodges and close up viewing that will be inaccessible to drivers. The new house will be simple with a thatched roof. The two tigers will be moved with the last white tigers being phased out over the re-developments. The current tigers will be untouched until all white tigers have passed away. It will also provide housing to big cats that are being transported across the site during redevelopments.

The hippos enclosure will also be inaccessible by car. They will share the paddock with another ungulate (Undecided which) with a large thatched house .6 Lodges overlook the paddock making it the only in the UK. During the meeting I was too focused on the Phases 1 and 2 and so I didn't get much. However I have another interview early April !

Phase 4: Re-generation
    Again not much written down due to time management and privacy reasons. However I Had some short sentences written down.

Elephant Valley transformed into Congo lowlands reserve housing primates, bongo and the Congo buffalo.

The current Asian lowlands (where the camels are) will then be converted in African Reserve 2, with the Asian herbivores being moved to the Wild Asia area or phased out. I will soon get a full list of animals leaving or arriving the collection. Separating the two reserves will be a line of boulders to act a natural barrier. A new house will also be built to accommodate the larger herd

Current dholes and knocked down cheetahs will be turned into Asian woodlands, the species will most likely be a mix of the new Wild Asia species and a few imports.

Current barbary sheep and fallow deer section will be turned into a dhole plains. This will have 2 lodges connected the same path for the lion's lodge. The current sheep and deer ill be integrated into the new African reserves over time.

Possible 2 Lodges for the Indian rhinos has be planned as well.

Overview: Closing statements.
    The new zones and walkthrough will provide acres of new woodland for native wildlife and the elephant habitat turns into a meadow across the summer creating great grazing and wildlife habitats. Overall the masterplan allows the site to maintain its collection and double its breeding capabilities while adding new species.

I asked about the theme park and current walkthroughs and I was told majority of those are very up to date and modern. However minor coasters and upgrades will be made to keep numbers high.

After visiting the park (Open or closed) for months and meeting staff, they all seem to be maintaining the site excellently and keep all animals happy. Below you can see the current planning application, which is on the planning applications for Bewdley Screenshot (18).png

Last edited: 24 Feb 2021
  11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A list of what species are to be phased out or new arrivals planned would be very interesting.

A few other questions;

1. So elephant breeding will be left until their current home-bred bull matures?

2. The 'lodges' you mention- these are for overnight visitor accomodation a la Port Lympne?

3. If so how will that work in what is, even with the planned modifications, still essentially a drive-through safari park?

4. More information on how the Hippos will be rehoused(?) or exhibited in the future would be helpful.

Many thanks.

bintarong likes this.
  12. bintarong

1. With the pandemic and brexit most definitely. It would cost too much however a breeding male. They told me with Sutton having no real genetic connections he's a perfect bull for breeding.

2. Yes all accommodation are for guests and will open in stages with red panda arriving mid summer and the two arriving April.

3. You'll be picked up in WMSP's jeeps and left there along night and then taken back there in morning. However they are using a new access road running along the edge of ownership boundary from the hippos. The end goal will be visitors to walk to accommodation.

4. I have my final interview early-mid April. I'll bring up phases 2-4 immediately. More questions the better cause I've ran out !

Kifaru Bwana, Benosaurus and Pertinax like this.
  13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would be very interested to know if they will be keeping what is left of the Persian Fallow Deer group- now just 0.3 after the incident with the Hunting Dogs last winter. Starting again with another male, or will they leave? And any/which of the Asian Deer and antelope species e.g. Barasingha, Blackbuck etc. will stay.

More details on the changes for Hippo would be interesting too.

Azubaa and bintarong like this.
  14. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hang on what do you mean Red Pandas are coming to West Midland Safari Park ?

bintarong likes this.
  15. bintarong

Yes they are ! Summer of 2021 you'll be able to see them with the accommodation opening later on for guests to stay for the night. The paddock will right opposite Mark O' shea's reptile world and to the right of the dino diner. The director stated to me

'Red Panda (Ailurus fulgens) are a crepuscular, arboreal mostly vegetarian carnivore that is classified as Endangered in the wild by the IUCN. Native to the Himalayas and Southwestern China, the number of mature individuals is fewer than 10,000 which is a decline of over 40% of the population in the last 2 decades. This decline is attributed to habitat loss and fragmentation, poaching and in-breeding depression.'

'By adding this species to their collection, we want to raise awareness and educate guests, to the plight of this species in the wild and to work with the Red Panda Network. This is a non-profit conservation organisation dedicated to protecting red pandas in their natural habitat through their work with community partners, to encourage forest using groups to adopt sustainable forest management practices.
    Screenshot (21).png Screenshot (22).png
    The proposed external exhibit area will provide a suitable open topped exhibit with a total 270 metres squared, divided into 2 areas. which will give the animals access to the whole space but also the opportunity to separate as needed at the breeding time of year or for other husbandry reasons. It will provide a suitably challenging environment to meet their needs with trees, planting of appropriate vegetation, high walkways, outdoor nest boxes and an off-show area.

'Two new pathways will be created at either side of the exhibit to allow access to the overnight accommodation which will be privately gates to give privacy. A new viewing area will be created at the front of the garden with animal housing combined under the same roof. The new viewing area will have a canopy to match the theme of the exhibit. Planting of new bushes and vegetation will be strategically placed for privacy between the accommodation units and to recreate the red panda habitat.'

Red pandas are a popular and charismatic species in other UK zoological collections and WMSP is working with the red panda breeding programme coordinator for suitable individuals to house in our collection.'

Benosaurus and Animallover1998 like this.
  16. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

Why not try to breed with Five? Or about artificial insemination? She is a cow of reproductive age and it would be a shame.

bintarong likes this.
  17. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is a horrible waste that they are not intending to breed with Five again. Sutton is 15 years away from sexual maturity and to develop into a social competent bull, he must not stay in West Midlands- he needs other calves and bull elephants! Too many male africans are incapable of breeding naturally due to growing up in a poor social environment, sounds like Sutton will be the next one!!

18. bintarong

Again costs, already major shortage of African elephants in uk or Ireland. Brexit and pandemic are major import issues with Twycross Zoo also stating they are struggling to get a snow leopard. Artificial insemination is very controversial and is not recommended. The director did state to me that they would like to keep the group as they are close and just integrate females. I did ask about the chance of inbreeding and they stated that they are reviewing pathways but most likely contracepting the girls to prevent this.

Not true. African elephant bull and cows become mature at 10-14 years old. Sutton is 7 this year, so at the most 7 years and if this is the case they will most likely loan male from Noah's ark to breed and return. Again not true . For welfare he needs to stay with his birth mother till maturity until he would naturally leave. Yes that is an issue however majority of captive bulls are brought up like this and continue to breed excellently.

Azubaa likes this.
  19. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Brexit is no reason not to try another round of AI with Five as there is a bull trained for AI in Colchester. And it is not correct that AI is not recommended. Natural breeding is much better but obviously not an option for Five. And AI is much better then no breeding considering that there is a shortage of African elephants and breeding results are poor. No thanks to such bad decisions like in West Midlands right now! West Midlands is running the very real risk that there will be no young females available for Sutton for many years. By the way, Five wont need contraception to avoid breeding with her son since she wont be able to concieve in a few years. Female elephants loose their fertility if the break between two calves gets too long.

Regarding Sutton, if you mean the production of viable sperm, yes then he will reach maturity in a few years. However, most african bulls are not socially mature enough to actually mate with a female until they are 15+ years. Trying to breed very young bulls with mature females is one of the main reasons why elephant breeding has failed historically.

And of course he should stay with his mother for now, but not that much longer. Older female elephants are not the right company for teenage bull elephants. As I tried to explain above, young bulls need other young bulls and mature males to ‚tutor‘ them.

But West Midlands has appatrently decided to ignore all the lessons that were learned the hard way by so many other zoos because it is the easier way.

By the way, thank you very much for the Updates! It is great that West Midlands is finally updating their elephant accommodation and the new house looks good. just wish they would try to build up a herd around Five and not Sutton!!!

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I have to say, I am somewhat sceptical that WMSP would just come out and give you all of this previously-undisclosed information *and* allow you to post it on the forum. How much of this is supposition, putting two-and-two together or wishful thinking, and how much of it is actual information from the horses mouth?

bintarong likes this.