Join our zoo community

Westbury Zoo

Discussion in 'Australia' started by oldrover, 31 Jan 2014.

1. oldrover

oldrover Well-Known Member

Firstly; apologies if this is in the wrong forum but I thought it was the most appropriate.

Other than that I'm trying to find out anything I can about a zoo in Westbury Tasmania that was in operation during the 1930s. I can find very little on line, and less on 'The Trove' website.

I know that there is a zoo in that area now, but as I say I'm looking for info about the 1930s.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks for reading.

(and yes this is about the thylacine)

2. Richard Turner

Richard Turner New Member

It was my dads zoo

Ken Turner and oldrover like this.
  3. oldrover

Hi Richard, we'll have a mutual friend then, Rose Lewis. Walter Mullins' granddaughter.

Thanks for replying, it'd be great to hear about the history of the zoo. A few of us here know the basics, but any info would be gratefully recieved.

4. Richard Turner

Richard Turner New Member

My dad was kerry Turner who owned it. Closed 1980

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Dec 2018
    Ken Turner and oldrover like this.
  5. oldrover

The version I heard is that a film crew arrived to film Tasmanian wildlife and employed your grandfather to trap some specimens for them. Then when the crew left the animals were kept to form the basis of the zoo.

Is this correct? If so can you add anything, like date, who the crew were etc?

By the way I saw a short film segment from your dad's zoo the other day, but I can't think where.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is on Thylacineman's fb page. BTW Oldrover, something happened to my Facebook page and I had to start over, so you will get a request from me to (re)join the Archives FB site again sometime soon.

7. oldrover

Right, I'll sort it as soon as it gets through. I'm sorry to hear of the trouble. Getting carnage here with the internet too.

8. Ken Turner

Ken Turner New Member

Hi Richard, my name is Ken Turner, as a child, I went to the zoo with my grandmother Elsie Sheen (nee Turner of the Nile) I can remember her saying Mont Turner was related. I would like to know more. Thanks.