Join our zoo community

What animals have you been “ attacked” by

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Jake, 11 Jul 2018 at 9:09 AM.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I for one have had an Asian elephant mistake my hand for an apple and try to eat it
    My blue tongued lizard bit me and it hurt
    I patted a tiger and she got frisky and the trainers gave her a box to play with ...... she destroyed it in under 30 seconds flat

2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member

I've been attacked by leeches in Madagascar, praying mantids (once in Italy and once at a zoo), once by a dog, once by a New Forest pony, 4 times by wasps and several times by various domestic cats.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

You have been beat around the block a couple of times thanks for checking this out

4. CloudPardus

CloudPardus Active Member

This is all the animal "attacks" when i worked at a Vet clinic and Exotic Pet shop
    -Got scratched by a Sailfin lizard on my arm....left some pretty deep wounds which later became a scar
    -A Cockatiel that does not like me (Luckily i wore gloves)
    -Getting bit by Budgerigars
    -Getting clawed by a playful Persian cat
    -Getting a warning nib by several dogs
    -Snakes that thought my fingers are pinky mice

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

The Cockatiel and Snake I have gone through myself and it sucked

6. CloudPardus

CloudPardus Active Member

Well the snake didn't bit me....it strike at me and i manged to dodge it quickly lol but the cockatiel at the pet shop i used to work at was a mean bird sometimes it lets me touch it and sometimes it acts skittish as hell and flies around its aviary and doesn't let me get close to it

7. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member

I've been bitten on the leg by a 4 month old cheetah cub, luckily I was wearing jeans and her teeth were small :)

8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member

• I got too close to a wild American Mink and it chased me for a little ways.
    • Mosquitoes and horse flies.
    • Got bit by my White's Tree Frog.

9. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member

Worst thing that's ever happened to me is falling asleep and rolling on to a wasp, I woke up 3 hours later thinking I'd had a stroke! :eek: It took days to get my leg to work properly again. We also used to have a parrot that had free reign of the house which hated me, used to hide behind doors then fly out and get me, we had to get rid of him in the end as I was too young to move out... :p

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  10. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member

On a more zoo-related note I've had "issues" with a rhino and gibbon but both were behind something. Granted the rhino was only a keeper's gate away and had his head a fair way through but at least he wasn't on the path with me! ;)

It's a shame Stubeanz isn't active any more, he had some true (mainly meerkat related) horror stories... ;) :(

11. Falanouc

Falanouc Well-Known Member

I once had an armadillo attempt to make a burrow in my palm - needless to say, it found my hand unsuitable for tunnelling, and I found that armadillos are really blooming strong. 'Twas a terrifying experience. ;)

Brum likes this.
  12. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member

Been bit by a prairie dog. Hurt like hell.

13. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member

Also got bitten bitten by an eland at West Midlands Safari Park. He clearly preferred my thumb to the feed!

14. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member Premium Member

Some twenty or so years ago I was walking along the coast when a herring gull attacked me. The herring gull flew down, landed on my head with considerable force and jabbed me with its beak. This resulted in quite a long deep wound that bled profusely; it would not stop bleeding so I had to go to hospital to get it stitched (and have a tetanus injection too). When I arrived at the hospital, with my shirt soaked in blood, the medical staff didn't believe me that it was caused by a seagull!

15. Kyle's Creatures

Kyle's Creatures Active Member

I've been dive-bombed by red-winged blackbirds and Andean cock-of-the-rocks. Also, I've been chased by geese, guineafowl, and peafowl.

16. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I’ve been dive bombed by red wing blackbirds and mugged by a vervet monkey.

17. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member

18. Okapipako

Okapipako Well-Known Member

@Tim May That is the most terrifying one in the thread to me because it could happen to just about anyone! I'm bringing a hard hat next time I go to a beach favored by large gulls...

Had a very close call while volunteering at a wildlife rehabilitation center - while helping someone clean a great horned owl's flight cage, I was hunkered down for one reason or another. Upon rising I saw the owl flying away just a few feet from me. She had dive bombed me as it turned out I had accidentally wandered too close to the small enclosure her chicks were being held in!

Another owl 'attack' I was unable to avoid, though, was a barred owl defecating all over my shoulder while directly above me, the moment I entered its enclosure to help clean it.

I made the mistake of feeding Canada geese when younger and found myself mobbed by almost an entire flock that weren't too pleased I had run out of bread by then. Never fed them again.

Other than that, my cat loves to go for my ankles as I walk by if she's feeling particularly playful :)

19. Scottish Wildcat

Scottish Wildcat Well-Known Member

When I was about four or five years old the skytram ride in Busch Gardens Tampa broke down and we had to evacuate the emergency route. It took us through some keeper-only paths with only a thin wooden fence separating us from herds of livestock. The guide was giving us some kind of safety talk, but naturally, being four, I wasn't interested. I climbed up onto the wooden fence, and spotting a herd of ankole cattle on the opposite side of the paddock, decided to call them over by repeatedly yelling "moo!" One by one they lifted their heads to look at this little boy standing on their fence wearing red shorts on a windy day (I know, myth, but funny detail), then they decided to charge en masse. I only just managed to jump down before around 10 huge cows all smashed against the fence at me. Good thing it was strong enough!

More recently I was observing the Asiatic lion in the indoor exhibit in Edinburgh when it decided to charge me as well. Thank God for barriers!

Okapipako likes this.
  20. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Active Member

I've been bitten or scratched by dozens of species- none really serious

The closest call was bitten in the face by a Belgian Malinois. Have a scar on my eyelid but no eye damage.

Had a red eared slider nearly remove my fingerprint from a finger. Ouch. But healed OK.

The one that hurt the most was a very large raccoon bit me in the thigh- felt like someone hit me with a sledgehammer.