Join our zoo community

What animals have you been “ attacked” by

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Jake, 11 Jul 2018.

1. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was on safari in India, my guide unprofessionally tried to get too close to the elephant, I warned him about the danger, then the elephant charged the car, lucky for me and the car we were a bit faster than the elephant.

LowlandGorilla4, Falanouc and Jake like this.
  2. adamntitch

adamntitch Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A wee list mostly from owned animals or rescued

Horse bittin and kicked,cat,dog,rat,mouse,rabbit,guinea pig,afrock,bosc,Asian water monitor,tokay,grey squirrel,tortoise,cow,chased and butted by a goat,

Worst was a horse tho that chased me across the field and kicked me over the fence lol
    Or
    My friends emu that kicked me as well also had the same friends llama spit in my face

Jake likes this.
  3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The most scary thing was the attack of a boat-billed heron, it did not help that I was 4 at that time :p. Also nasty was being robbed by a male Yellow baboon and fake attacks by bull African elephants are also nasty.

I have been bitten by various rodents and bats and been fed on by Tsetse flies, horseflies, leeches, mosquitoes and ticks beyond counting....

Nothing comes close to African driving skills though :p

Jake likes this.
  4. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was in a walkthrough Kangaroo exhibit and a kangaroo almost jumped on me. I was like 4 or 5.

Jake likes this.
  5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I was at my Aunty and uncles house in Melbourne and they live up a big hill . They have horses with my Aunty claims to train but they are wild ........ 300 acres wild . I went for a look see down by the old house
    (. They were making a new house ) and I startled her horses. They all got through the gap but 1 a HUGE stallion . It was running full pelt trying to get away so I backed up to give him some space , he saw me reversing and jumped up on the porch and I was about 10 meters away when he hit the gas . I side leaped into my uncles fire house and it the stallion just casually walked in like he was going to rob the joint . Again he saw me but this time the were 4 walls about 2 meters apart. I knew that i was going to die if my saver my uncle and Aunty dog Puppy ran in to the smoke house and start nipping at the houses ankles . That horse was Pi - - ed of and didn’t care about me he only wanted the dog . Puppy escaped of course and that night as I lay wide awake I would feel a huge welcome as the horses would run past and they would hit the caravan where I was sleeping

6. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've been attacked by various things over the years, worst was a bite from a female tegu who wasn't pleased with me being in her enclosure, and I wasn't paying attention. She got me over the palm of my hand, it felt like being hit at full force by a steak mallet. But she didn't let go, and for about 60 seconds she held on, clamping down every few seconds. After realising she wasn't going to let go, I had to prise her off with my left hand which eventually worked. She punched some holes through my nails on my left hand, and drew a good bit of blood on the right, along with some nasty swelling and bruising. Fortunately her teeth were fairly small, otherwise things would have been much worse.

Other honorable mentions go to cranes, ground hornbills, crabs, swans and geese. A few near misses as well, most recently a male addax who tried to poke my eye out.

Jake likes this.
  7. akasha

akasha Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Been bitten by dogs, cats, budgies and chooks. Once by an ostrich. Once by a dingo when I did work experience at a zoo. The worst was probably a ferret that bit me on the finger and sunk it's fangs to the bone. That hurt. I also got 'attacked' by a cranky pademelon at Hartley's Crocodile Adventures. It latched onto my leg and tried to bite me through my jeans.

Jake likes this.
  8. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Attacked and bit by a cockatiel who doesn't like me most often.
    Got bit by a California Kingsnake once as a feeding response, and a chuckwalla as far as reptiles...
    Had a couple warning nips from dogs, been scratched by cats...
    Been bit by a raven, a turkey vulture, a crested caracara (accidental, got me with the tidbit), numerous times by a barn owl while trying to put on his telemetry (same owl got me with a talon once), routine bites from a kookaburra (including clamping on my finger and holding on), and altogether too many bites from a variety of lorikeet species... pesky things. Also been bit by a violet turaco, but that didn't do much. Had a black vulture tackle me once... wasn't too bad. Been threatened by geese but not attacked.
    The darn clownfish I had for years that would try and bite me every time I worked in the tank was a nuisance... wasn't that big but the teeth still hurt and did draw blood occasionally...

Cassidy Casuar and Jake like this.
  9. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I almost became a victim of a Siberian tiger on my first visit to Zurich Zoo in 1972. My attention was drawn by a sign saying 'ACHTUNG! TIGER SPRITZEN!',(if I remember rightly). My German vocabulary is very small, and largely limited to technical chemical terms, so although I understood the first two words precisely, I wondered what the third meant as I walked up to the cage. Then I saw the small illustration under the words which showed the rear end of a tiger with its tail raised and several rows of dots . . . at that moment the male tiger came towards me, turned around and lifted its tail . . . fortunately I realised the meaning of the sign just in time to take a step backwards and, even more fortunately, the tiger was obviously running low on ammunition, so he only produced a few drops which just fell short. I had a narrow escape :)
    The only animal I have kept which always attacked me was a beautiful wild-caught male Lamprologus ocellatus. He lived very happily in the middle of an aquarium, and he sired many broods of fry with two females who lived at opposite ends of the tank. Whenever I put my hand or a gravel cleaner into his territory he would attack and bite with the prominent teeth in the front of his jaws. However his territory only had a radius of 10cm around a snail shell which he had buried in the sand, just as he would have done in Lake Tanganyika, and as his total length was about 3½cm, his teeth could never penetrate my skin.

10. Canihelpyou?

Canihelpyou? Well-Known Member 5+ year member

> reticulated python bite
    > bearded dragon bite
    > hognose bite
    > (almost) snapping turtle bite
    > (also almost) caiman bite
    and i get bit by parrots every day

Jake likes this.
  11. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Among other things...
    • Chased by an angry chihuahua
    • Feet scratched by a relative's cat

12. Stefan Verhoeven

Stefan Verhoeven Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have been attacked or bitten by quiet some animals in my lifetime. Apart from insects (a lot of musquito and wasps and one rather painfull encounter with an army of ants in Gambia) and an african elephant (lucky I had a good guide with a fast car), most of the encounters were work related. Most noteworthy:
    - Saddle-billed stork: I had to close the wounds of two people with staples afterwards. I lucky escaped without injury.
    - Humboldt penguin: they have more power in their beak than expected.
    - Arabian oryx: the male discovered how to go thru the fence with his horns.
    - Phillips dik-dik: the cutest of all attackers. This hand reared male attacked with his very small horns, not able to cause any harm, but that didn't keep him from trying :D
    - Spix macaw: just a small nibble in the end, but still it counts :rolleyes:
    - Steller sea eagle: a sad story of a bird that broke part of his beak after being attacked by his partner. I wasn't able to save him in the end :(

13. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was bit by a bottlenose at SeaWorld Orlando's dolphin cove when it was a touch/feeding pool. I was 7 at the time, I stuck my hand in the tank and almost immediately a juvenile took an aggressive bite at it. It left a few very small holes in my palm, fingers, and the back of my hand. Some nearly deep as the length of the dolphin's tooth. It is still the most painful thing I've ever experienced. I was taken to the First Aid unit right away, was bandaged up, and was happy to get a stuffed orca and an interesting story out of it. Can't imagine what spectacle people would make of it if that 7 year-old me were bit today - or anybody really.

14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

The Magpies at Monarto Zoo are vicious!

One chased me for about 20 minutes and launched his last attack from around 100m away after I thought he had given up and I turned my back on him. Flying low to the ground and very fast, only rising up at the very last minute to swoop.

Despite our snakes, spiders, sharks, crocodiles, etc - I honestly think the Magpie is the most feared animal in Australia because it attacks with such frequency and viciousness - and they seem to be vindictive too and have a good memory.

I subscribe to this site to find out where it is safe to ride my bike - MAGPIE ALERT! For Aussie Cyclists & Runners to share magpie attacks

I remember as a kid being terrified to walk to school because there were Magpies who would swoop near the entrance to the school.

15. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Other than the typical things, a bat. No idea of the species, but it was in central Delaware. I was in my garage, big door open, when it suddenly dive bombed my head, clawing and making a lot of noise. I'm sure it was just confused, vs an actual "attack", but it triggered a bad phobia for me. I've been able to work that phobia down to a bad fear, I can usually look at photos now and I'm close to being able to see them in a zoo setting; I can stand near an exhibit and listen to them for a minute or so, at least.

16. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would've wanted to hugged it! I love Victoria Crowned Pigeons!!!!!

17. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What was the Saddle-Billed Stork's attack like? What exactly happened? I saw one acting hyper in the Lowry Park Zoo and it powerfully pecked stuff in its exhibit. Their beak does look formidable.

18. Stefan Verhoeven

Stefan Verhoeven Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We had to catch the saddle-billed stork to check his feet. The bird was criple and we were afraid it had bumblefeet. We came in the enclosure with three people. Two with a piece of plywood to corner it and with a cloth to cover it's head (and I was the third person and carried veterinary equipment). At that place it was the way they normally catch marabou. Marabou normally attack with open beak, but the saddle-billed stork attacked like a spear fisher. It came with his neck over the piece of plywood and pecked 1 person twice and the other person once before we could intervene. The wound on one person was so big and deep, you could see the bone of the upper arm.
    Since then I can never understand why they are sometimes kept in walk thru aviaries. And I am always a bit nervous when getting close by one...

19. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

Aside from the typical...mosquitos, bees and geese (goose hissed but didn’t bite), I’ve been bitten by my brother’s African Grey Parrot a couple of times and either my own dog or a neighbor’s dog. I’m not sure which one did it because they were fighting over a toy and I tried to pull mine back when I got a tooth in my arm. Nothing serious. I’ve also been bitten by my cats.

Zoo related, a Magellanic Penguin took a pretty good snap at me but didn’t quite connect.

Now if the question was...how many big cats I’ve been purred or chuffed at, that’s a different story. Those are the ones I’d rather talk about.

20. SpinyLiving

SpinyLiving Well-Known Member

When I was 5 I was attacked by wasps so bad I'm scarred for life. I'm not a fast runner but if I'm close to a wasp or bee I'll run faster than Usain Bolt. I've also been attacked by pit bulls a small Yorkie with a temper and my own Shitese dog