Join our zoo community

What animals have you been “ attacked” by

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Jake, 11 Jul 2018.

1. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Are there any keepers who have not been attacked at one time or another??

2. LowlandGorilla4

LowlandGorilla4 Well-Known Member

I once went to this farm and was cleaning a horse pen while the horse was tied to a post (I'm about ten at the time) and rather stupidly, I couldn't tie a solid not. The horse (at the time was young barely bigger than a pony but looked huge to me) finished the food in his trough and started to walk toward me, I thought "no problem he's tied to the post" and then he walked toward me and the not fell open. ( This horse had a serious problem with jumping and we had to put him in a high walled fence until he settled in) He ran toward me full tilt and chased me in circles while I was yelling commands at it like it was a galloping golden retriever. Now I should have been able to hop the fence and escape but it was the high one (which now wouldn't be a problem but to me then it was a huge dilemma). Finally after ten minutes I ran to the gate and got out. (This wasn't my first incident at this farm)

3. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Someone brought their hedgehogs into school last year, one bit me :)
    Not to mention all the pets and farm animals who've attacked me, but I don't think anyone cares.
    My mom and I were chased by a bull at my Grandpa's farm when I was younger.
    And on my birthday when I was a kid, I got bitten by tons of fire ants, luckily we were at a beach so I just jumped into the ocean.

Jake1508 likes this.
  4. Panthera9

Panthera9 Well-Known Member

Stung by quite a few insects (bee, wasp...)
    Bitten by a spider (giant house spider). That's how I discovered I'm not allergic to bee's venom, but I am to spider's !
    Bitten by ants when I accidentaly put my foot into a nest when I was a kid
    Bitten by a rabbit (he got a very bad name after that)
    I still have a scar on my wrist, almost 13 years after the event, where a domestic cat clawed me very bad
    Clawed and bitten many times by young cats while playing

5. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Bitten by a Red-crested turaco and a Von der Decken's hornbill a long time ago. Mosquitoes and ticks too.

6. redpanda756

redpanda756 Well-Known Member

Once I got pecked by a turkey. I've also been bitten by a corn snake, guinea pigs, dogs, etc.

7. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Just the other day I found 3 ticks on me.

8. redpanda756

redpanda756 Well-Known Member

Yeah I found a tick on me too.

9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My most recent 'attack' was a bite (not a peck) from a Lady Amherst's pheasant hen this morning, when I had to move her and her newly hatched chicks to safer quarters. She drew blood

ZooBinh likes this.
  10. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That must've hurt.

Congrats on the new chicks though!

FBBird likes this.
  11. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

Beach combing in Greece, saw a conspicuous and attractive annelid worm that I did not recognise so picked it up to then be vigourously reminded that I had previously heard of fireworks....
    Stopping to talk to someone while returning a red eared terrapin to its normal tank after a school open day; the next thing I knew there was a pair of jaws clamped on my thumb, which was rapidly moving upwards... and then the terrapin let go and crashed to the floor, but without suffering injury.
    Walking along a path in a South African wildlife rehabilitation centre. A blue crane appeared on the same path, and started walking in front of me. We both realised it was a dead end at the same moment; I turned and was kicked hard just below the shoulder blades as it leapt over me!

Jungle Man and SpinyLiving like this.
  12. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

Aargh, damned autocorrect! Fireworms, not fireworks!

13. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Wow... Quite a few....

Though it was certainly painful in the moment, my favorite example is my male Dumeril's boa (Acrantophis dumerili) when I was handling him constricted my neck and bit me in the ear. I knew I had to feed him a rat soon after. Before I fed him, I had a buddy of mine from high school who was staying with me for the weekend run over to my truck and grab my snake hook. He had no experience handling large snakes. I did, so despite being constricted, I told him what to do and how to do it.

Another memorable example was my male Woma python (Aspidites ramsayi) who while I was handling him constricted my wrist, bit the tip of my ring finger and swallowed it whole. As painful as it was, I just let him do it knowing that he would eventually eject and let go.

Another example, when I was trying to change out the water in the bowl for my female Solomon islands ground boa (Candoia paulsoni tasmai), was being bit on my hand right between my thumb and index finger. @ThylacineAlive was actually staying with me for the week at my residence in San Jacinto, Riverside County, California, so I had to tell him to run out to my truck and grab my snake hook and then after he handed it to me, I managed to get her off/stop her from latching on.

Those are just 3 examples...

14. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw this thread before I saw your tag and I was going to say you should tell this story :p

~Thylo

15. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Well thank you for your help in that situation my friend.

Jungle Man and ThylacineAlive like this.
  16. Jake1508

Jake1508 Well-Known Member

Also got screamed at by a Macaw (see thumbnail) that hurt a lot...

17. grevy's zebra

grevy's zebra Well-Known Member

I guess one for me is getting bit when I first got my Leopard Gecko, Spring. I have also been hit by my neighbor's cat a few years ago, but it was on me since I was rubbing it's stomach, and now he follows me everywhere.

18. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

I've been charged at by a triggerfish while snorkelling, and bitten by several fish in my tanks, especially a Clarkii clownfish (took a chunk of skin off my hand!) that eventually had to be rehomed due to aggression issues. Probably some other ones that I can't remember off the top of my head. Nothing ever life-threatening, luckily!

Great Argus likes this.
  19. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Clownfish can be real buggers, mine used to try and bite me whenever I put my hand in their tank. Successfully too with some regularity. :p

20. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

On Saturday I got attacked by a Red Rumped Parrot of all birds, luckily it didn’t hit me but it was close enough that the wind from the parrot rocketing down at 80+ kmh almost knocked me down.

Last week I had three near misses with a magpie and two near misses with Noisy Miners.

Still better than being shat on by a Musk Lorikeet though!

Last edited: 2 Nov 2020