Join our zoo community

What animals would you exchange?

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by BeardsleyZooFan, 10 Nov 2012.

1. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know that this is pure fantasy, which is why it's in the Fantasy Zoos forum, but if you could make exchanges in species between two countries or continents, what exchanges would you be interested in?
    I'd say for the US and Europe, Coyotes for Brown Hyenas, and Chacoan Peccaries for White-Lipped Peccaries.
    And for the US and New Zealand, how about Skunks for Kokako?
    And yes, this is just pure fantasy.

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How about American Beavers for Platypus for America and Australia. And Bobcat for Tasmanian Devils.
    I know this would never happen but Eastern Black Rhinos for Bornean Rhinos between America and Borneo. Canada Lynx for Sunda Clouded Leopards. American Bison for Bornean Pygmy Elephants.
    Beluga Whales for Amazon River Dolphins between the U.S. and Brazil.
    Przewalski's Wild Horses for Bhutan Takin between U.S. and Bhutan and North American Mountain Lions for South China Tigers between U.S. and China.
    Between the U.S. and Eruope, American Bison for Eruopean Bison. Mexican Wolves for Iberian Lynx.
    America and Sri Lanka could trade Amur Leopards for Sri Lankan Leopards.

3. ThylacineAlive

Also between America and Asutralia, California Sea Lions for Australian Sea Lions.

4. BeardsleyZooFan

I like your suggestions. I wouldn't do the rhino suggestion though as taking more Sumatran Rhinos out of their habitat would probably endanger them more. Also, I'd change the mountain lions for SC tigers to mountain lions for Asiatic Lions, and the Mexican Wolf suggestion for Spanish Lynx to Red Wolves for Iberian Wolves.

5. ThylacineAlive

I based the Iberian Lynx and Bornean Rhinoceros ideas on if both the captive and wild populations were larger. Probably should've mentioned that. I like the Asiatic Lion idea and I was originally going to do Arctic Wolves for Iberians but I wasn't sure if that was even possible.

Just out of curiosity, where are Muskox kept in captivity? I can't find any zoos within the U.S. that carry them. If they are no longer held in the U.S., then I'd trade either African or Asian Water Buffalo (depending on which has a higher population in America) for Muskox with whichever country has them.

6. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, Minnesota Zoo, Denver Zoo and The Alaska Zoo display Musk oxen in the U.S.

7. tamarin

tamarin Well-Known Member

greece and galapagos islands
    greek turtle for giant galapagos turtle

8. BeardsleyZooFan

Yes, we are. I wouldn't want Brown Hyenas running around wild here in the US.

9. ThylacineAlive

Between the U.S. and Ecuador (Galapagos), Pacific Walruse for either Galapagos Fur Seals or Sea Lions and Komodo Dragons for Marine Iguanas (if the zoo trading is willing to pay the expenses needed to keep Marine Iguanas happy and healthy in captivity. Some may disagree we me on this one but I think they can be kept in captivity but it might be very expensive so it probably would never happen. Finally in this rare U.S. and Ecuadorian trade, King Penguins for Galapagos Penguins.

Timber Wolves for Ethiopian Wolves between U.S. and Ethiopia.

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Coyote for Brown Hyena wouldn't work so well, as the numbers of Brown Hyena aren't exactly high over here. Chester produce a decent turnout of Bush Dogs, so possibly Coyote for Bush Dogs? ;)

If you were desperate for Brown Hyena, a fairer exchange would be for Red Wolf methinks :p

11. BeardsleyZooFan

We have some Bush Dogs over here in the US, but not a lot. Coyotes are plentiful, and we're bound to have more as more orphans and problem animals turn up. Hmmm...
    We have plenty of Red Wolves here as well, so I think that would be a fair trade. :D

12. ThylacineAlive

Lets get more Japanese Raccoon Dogs over here.

13. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We still haven't proven the Red Wolf exists if it has ever.

14. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've got a couple dozen technical papers for you if you'd like to try and sort it out yourself. My conclusion is that they are certainly not a recent gray wolf x coyote hybrid.

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I think that is the majority opinion.

Whatever one calls it, it certainly does exist!!

16. ThylacineAlive

I thought the argument was weither or not it's a Grey Wolf subspecies or a species of its own.

17. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

It's far more complicated than that.

18. ThylacineAlive

I'm sure. Wasn't there a whole thing with Texas Reds and Florida Reds and a big debate that apparently still goes on.

19. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No, the real debate is whether red wolves are a unique species of an ancient North American lineage closely allied with coyotes, or whether they are recent hybrids between the Gray Wolf and the Coyote caused by anthropogenic habitat change. However, any evidence for hybridization seems to involve wolves from eastern Canada, which have recently been determined to be distinct from Gray Wolves and possibly conspecific with Red Wolves. There is no evidence of Gray Wolf x Coyote hybridization where the genes of this Eastern Wolf aren't in the mix somewhere, which I think presents the strongest case against the hybrid argument. It gets very complicated, and it's unlikely that there will be anything resembling a complete consensus anytime soon.

20. filipinos

filipinos Well-Known Member

What about some gray foxes from South America, coyotes from North America, african golden cats from Africa, bay cat from Asia, devils from Oceania and leopards seals from Antarctica and in exchange europe sends a big stock of red foxes?

In a more serious way, would it be hard for Europe to send wildcats to the US and they send some coyotes to Europe?
    And the same could be said for many native american and european mammals.