Join our zoo community

What animals would you exchange?

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by BeardsleyZooFan, 10 Nov 2012.

1. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Thank you, Pacarana. Glad to hear they have more space indoors and out. :)

2. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

This is what I would do, these are some animals that are in US zoos that I would trade for animals not in US zoos :

Bengal tiger for South china tiger (US to China)
    Thomsons gazelle for Chinkara gazelle (US to India)
    Spekes gazelle for Mountain gazelle (America to Middle East)
    Desert bighorn sheep for Marco polo argali (US to Russia)
    Dama gazelle for Saiga (US to Russia)
    Japanese serow for Sumatran serow (US to Thailand or Malaysia)
    Chinese goral for Red goral (US to China)
    African bush elephant for African forest elephant (America to Africa)
    Reeves muntjac for Black muntjac (US to China)
    Western lowland gorilla for Eastern lowland gorilla (US to Belgium)
    Kirks dik dik for Silver dik dik (US to Russia)
    Harbor seal for Caspian seal (US to Iran)
    Harbor seal for Baikal seal (US to Russia)
    Common warthog for Pygmy hog (US to India)
    White tailed deer for Little red brocket (US to Columbia)
    Desert bighorn sheep for Tadjik urial (US to Latvia or Sweden)
    Somali wild ass for Indian wild ass (US to India)
    Zambian sable antelope for Giant sable antelope (US to Angola)
    South african cheetah for Asiatic cheetah (US to Iran)
    Spekes gazelle for Przewalskis gazelle (US to China)
    Red river hog for Giant forest hog (America to Africa)
    Nubian ibex for Spanish ibex (US to Spain)
    Japanese serow for Himalayan serow (US to India)
    Japanese serow for Red serow (US to India)
    Mexican gray wolf for Mongolian wolf (US to Mongolia)
    Southern gerenuk for Northern gerenuk (America to Africa)
    Mexican gray wolf for Iberian wolf (US to Spain)
    Grizzly bear for Himalayan brown bear (US to Russia)
    Desert bighorn sheep for Altai argali (US to Russia)
    Greater malay chevrotain for Balabac chevrotain (US to Philippines)
    Red river hog for Philippine warty pig (US to Philippines)
    Malayan tapir for Mountain tapir (US to Columbia)
    Chinese goral for Himalayan goral (US to India)
    White tailed deer for Yucatan brown brocket (US to Mexico)
    Eastern cottontail for Volcano rabbit (US to Mexico)
    Green iguana for Marine iguana (US to Ecuador)
    White tailed deer for Chilean huemul (US to Chile)
    Rocky mountain elk for Corsican red deer (US to Italy)

And I could go on and on and on, the thing is that some of those species I would try to get are not native to the countries I would want to get them from, my reason for listing those countries is because those animals are at zoos in those countries, also those trades would not work out in real life but I am just thinking of ways to get animals that I would want to see in the US, and sorry guys for all those species and trade ideas, I just have a big imagination and I am a zoo nerd trying to top up his life list with as minimal travel as possible, and also nice thread idea BeardsleyZooFan, thanks for posting

3. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

I WOULD TRADE ANYTHING FOR A FRICKIN PLATYPUS BABY!!!!!!! GIVE ME BREAK, CMON AUSTRALIA!!!! HELP THE U.S. OUT ON THIS ONE...

4. ungulate nerd

I very much agree with you Jusko88, I would love to see a Platypus back at Bronx Zoo or perhaps in San Diego Zoo's new australian exhibit !!!

5. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Bengal tiger for South china tiger (US to China)
    US has no Bengal Tigers.

Thomsons gazelle for Chinkara gazelle (US to India)
    To what end? It's not a species of high importance conservation wise.

Spekes gazelle for Mountain gazelle (America to Middle East)
    Too few Speke's in the US to start with

Desert bighorn sheep for Marco polo argali (US to Russia)
    Not enough Marco Polo's Sheep in Europe to divvy up their population

Dama gazelle for Saiga (US to Russia)
    Why would Russia want this species from the US when they are easy to get from EAZA.

And kill the US Japanese serow program?

Chinese goral for Red goral (US to China)
    And kill the US Chinese goral program?

African bush elephant for African forest elephant (America to Africa)
    Send African Elephants to Africa in exchange for other African Elephants? Seems legit.

Reeves muntjac for Black muntjac (US to China)
    Send a Chinese species to China?

Western lowland gorilla for Eastern lowland gorilla (US to Belgium)
    Because exchanging two older, non-breeding animals is a great idea.

Kirks dik dik for Silver dik dik (US to Russia)
    Does Russia have a viable population?

Harbor seal for Caspian seal (US to Iran)
    Iran kind of hates us.

Harbor seal for Baikal seal (US to Russia)
    Common species, native to Russia in exchange for a rare species also native to Russia...

Common warthog for Pygmy hog (US to India)
    Common African for the most endangered suid in the world?

White tailed deer for Little red brocket (US to Columbia)
    When did South American White-Tails go extinct?

Desert bighorn sheep for Tadjik urial (US to Latvia or Sweden)
    Is there a stable EAZA population?

Somali wild ass for Indian wild ass (US to India)
    Not enough of a stable population in the US for the Somalis

Zambian sable antelope for Giant sable antelope (US to Angola)
    Wouldn't it be easier for Angola to get Zambian Sables from, I don't know, Zambia?

South african cheetah for Asiatic cheetah (US to Iran)
    Umm, Iran hates us?

Spekes gazelle for Przewalskis gazelle (US to China)
    See above

Red river hog for Giant forest hog (America to Africa)
    Right, there are no Red River Hogs in Africa...

Nubian ibex for Spanish ibex (US to Spain)
    The first plausible conjecture

Japanese serow for Himalayan serow (US to India)
    See above

Japanese serow for Red serow (US to India)
    See above

Mexican gray wolf for Mongolian wolf (US to Mongolia)
    Right, jeopardize a major conservation program

Southern gerenuk for Northern gerenuk (America to Africa)
    Why bother...?

Mexican gray wolf for Iberian wolf (US to Spain)
    See above

Grizzly bear for Himalayan brown bear (US to Russia)
    Since when are the Himalayas in Russia?

Desert bighorn sheep for Altai argali (US to Russia)
    Plausible

Greater malay chevrotain for Balabac chevrotain (US to Philippines)
    Why?

Red river hog for Philippine warty pig (US to Philippines)
    Your second one that might work.

Malayan tapir for Mountain tapir (US to Columbia)
    Already Mountain Tapirs in the US

Chinese goral for Himalayan goral (US to India)
    See above

White tailed deer for Yucatan brown brocket (US to Mexico)
    What happened to the White-Tails already in Mexico?

Eastern cottontail for Volcano rabbit (US to Mexico)
    Pest species for a critically endangered one? Seems legit...

Green iguana for Marine iguana (US to Ecuador)
    Illegal to export from the Galapagos

White tailed deer for Chilean huemul (US to Chile)
    Ever hear of the problem with CWD?

Rocky mountain elk for Corsican red deer (US to Italy)
    We have Barbary Deer which are the exact same thing as Corsican Deer

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think jb summed that up pretty well. I'd also like to add that several of the animals on that trade list either aren't in captivity or are very rare in captivity. Also, in the case of the Mountain Tapir, two of the three individuals came from the U.S. in the first place!

@jb, where do we have Barbary Deer?

~Thylo:cool:

7. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Sad Diego.

8. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

And kill the US Japanese serow program?

What United States zoos have Japanese Serow? I species I def want to see!!!

9. ungulate nerd

About the tiger trade, for some reason I thought the US did have Bengal tigers

As for the Chinakara gazelles, I was just trying to find a way to see them in the US, they are a very interesting gazelle species and they only made it into 2 european zoos

As for the Marco polo argalis, you are right, there are not that many in europe, less than 20 specimens I think, but I just want to see them back in US zoos

As for the Saigas, they are my favorite animals and I just want to see them back in the US, but I guess you are right they can get them from EAZA very easily, especially the Mhorr subspecies

As for the Sumatran serows, there are not that many Japanese serows in the US so it might not be a good idea to trade them in for Sumatran serows, perhaps there may be a better way to get that species into the US if that is even possible

As for the Red gorals, I know San Diego Zoo had them back in the late 1960s early 1970s, so I was just trying to figure out some way to get them back in the US

As for the African forest elephants, now that I think about it I doubt any african country would want to give a forest elephant up in exchange for a bush elephant

As for Black muntjacs, they have not been in north american zoos for a REALLY long time..., but now that I think about it, it does seem kind of weird trading a chinese animal for another chinese animal with china

With the Eastern lowland gorillas, now that I think about it I highly doubt that the Antwerp Zoo will want to give up their Eastern lowland gorillas

As for the Silver dik dik, I think Moscow Zoo only has 1 individual from what Sun Wukong said, and like the eastern lowland gorillas in antwerp I doubt Moscow Zoo will want to give up their Silver dik dik

As for the Caspian seal, I thought this was a fantasy thread so I was just having fun, and plus Caspian seals are my favorite seal species

As for the Little red brocket, South american white tailed deer subspecies are not extinct, I was just looking for a way to see Little red brockets

As for the Tadjik urial, now that I think about it, I highly doubt that their is a viable enough population in EAZA

As for the Indian wild ass, they are an amazing and rare species, but now that I think about it, Somali wild ass are more endangered and it is probably best that AZA concentrates on Somali wild ass

As for the Giant sable antelope, Zambia is obviously closer to Angola then the US is so Angola might want to do the easier thing and get them from Zambia, but then again I kind of doubt that Angola even wants Zambian sable antelopes

About the Asiatic cheetahs, like I said about Caspian seals, I thought that this was a fantasy thread

As for the Przewalskis gazelle, they are just an overlooked Procapra gazelle species so i thought It would be nice to see them in the US and also Przewalskis gazelles are pretty endangered from what i know

As for the Giant forest hog, most attempts to keeping them in captivity did not go so well and plus Africa may have enough Red river hogs

As for the Spanish ibex, I am glad I came up with at least 1 plausible idea and plus I have great memories seeing that species as a kid at the San Diego Zoo

As for the Himalayan serow, 1 western zoo had that zoo was the Berlin Zoo, and from what I know only one zoo has that species and that is the Nanital Zoo in India and I doubt that they will give their Himalayan serows up

As for the Mongolian wolf, It probably is not a great idea to jeopordize the mexican gray wolf program in the US

As for the Northern gerenuks, there has not been any in the US for a really long time so I thought that it would be cool to bring them in, but then again to the average zoo-goer a gerenuk is just a gerenuk is just a gerenuk, and besides they usually dont know what a gerenuk is

As for the Himalayan brown bear, the himalayas are obviously not in russia but a few russian zoos do have that subspecies but then agian their populations with in russian zoos may not be all that viable

As for the Altai argali, Oklahoma City Zoo did have them in the 1960s and i would like to see them back in the US, thanks for letting me know that I had another plausible idea

As for the Balabac chevrotain, It would be nice to see another tragulid species in the US for a change

As for the Mountain tapirs, my thought on that was we need more specimens in the US

As for the Yucatan brown brocket, i was just looking for some way to get them into the US but I doubt that Xcaret is going to want to give their specimens up considering they are the only facility on earth that has them and if Xcaret wanted White tailed deer, they could probably get them from another mexican zoo

As for the Volcano rabbit, Mexican zoos seem to be doing a good job at breeding the species and plus it may not be the greatest idea to bring a pest species into their native range, but then again Volcano rabbits are my favorite lagomorph species and I want to see them at one of my local zoos

As for the Marine iguana, again I thought this was a fantasy thread and i was just thinking about how nice it would be if Bronx Zoo got them back

As for the Chilean huemuls, pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject but what exactly happened with the CWD ?

As for the Corsican red deer, I thought they were a seperate subspecies from Barbary red deer

Also @Thylo, what i know about the Barbary red deer in San Diego is the San Diego WAP has them on exhibit but I think that the Zoo has them off exhibit (Not sure if they are still at the zoo though)

and @Jbnbsn99, I really appreciate the time you took to let me know about my ideas and letting me know that they were not all that plausible, you are a very smart guy and i appreciate all the informative things you have to say here on ZooChat

10. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Even though there is lots of debate about how many species/subspecies of wolves there are, I think it would be neat to see a variety represented in zoos.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are some valid questions or issues to be raised vis a vis the difficult choices faced by Taxon Advisory Groups where these tie into regional conservation breeding programmes that would benefit from being discussed here. Equally, the speed with which new research underlines the express need / requirements for a new conservation breeding programme with a captive component.

I - for one - cannot see why a fantasy thread like this one on "exchange this for that between regions" does that for me or a wider audience (but then everyone is entitled to raise a subject in one form or another). Jbnbsn99 has for all good purposes already quite succinctly / neatly answerred where some if not the majority of wished fors are true falses or just plain unrealistic. Having said that even in conservation breeding (circles) personal proclivaties do play a role in deciding which for which or to substitute or phase out (how I hate that last notion ... as if an individual or a (sub-)species would be superfluous / oblivious / expandable ... but that is probably just my personal sentiments playing up ...

12. ThylacineAlive

African zoos don't even have African Forest Elephants as far as I know of.

And this is a fantasy thread. I would, too, like to see many of those species- and more!- in U.S.

13. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What are thoughts on the US exchanging Cougars and Canada Lynx for Asiatic Lions and Persian Leopards with Europe? More Chacoan Peccaries for White-Lipped Peccaries? And Red Wolves for Iberian Wolves or, less likely, Brown Hyenas? Please confirm whether these are plausible or not.

14. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

These would be great exchanges, if they are plausible.

15. ThylacineAlive

I'm not sure about Persian Leopards but I know the Asiatic Lion population is in a tough position due to years of inbreeding as a result of a bad stub book keeper. I think if new blood is brought in from India and a bit more genetic diversity is dispersed into the captive population then some Lions could be sent to the U.S. That's very unlikely because, along with the Leopard, the AZA wants to focus on a different subspecies.

16. filipinos

filipinos Well-Known Member

No need for more Cougars, i believe. Maybe some more Canadian Lynx would be nice, but don´t think any zoo would be interested, as it is just another Lynx for the regular public and being an American Species they might be an AZA-only species and not good for EAZA zoos. Just my guess.

That could work. Don´t if there are enough Chacoan Peccaries in the US too.

Maybe, not Brown Hyenas, and i would prefer keeping the Iberian Wolves as i don´t think there's need for you guys to have them... :eek:

17. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are a decent amount of Chacoan Peccaries in US zoos. I think there are 10 US zoos holding Chacoan Peccaries, so if we send over perhaps 2-4 more we can get ourselves some White-Lipped Peccaries? :D

Yeah, I don't think Europe's Brown Hyena population is high enough to have some sent to us.
    Oh have it your way. I guess you guys don't have any need for Red Wolves then!;)
    Thylo- The leopard idea was based off of an idea I heard Arizona Docent mention before, where Amur Leopards are focused upon in northern US zoos, and southern US zoos that housed Amur Leopards (ex. Jacksonville) could get another leopard subspecies.

18. filipinos

filipinos Well-Known Member

So yeah, this one is plausible.

Yeah, I don't think Europe's Brown Hyena population is high enough to have some sent to us.
    Oh have it your way. I guess you guys don't have any need for Red Wolves then!;)[/QUOTE] There are 6 Zoos holding Brown Hyena, so it can work. About the wolves, what´s the need to change two very endangered species? They are similar, and most visitor wouldn´t even care about them.
    Red Wolves should be bred in America and Iberian in the Peninsula, with re-introduction in mind.

19. ThylacineAlive

There are 6 Zoos holding Brown Hyena, so it can work. About the wolves, what´s the need to change two very endangered species? They are similar, and most visitor wouldn´t even care about them.
    Red Wolves should be bred in America and Iberian in the Peninsula, with re-introduction in mind.[/QUOTE]

I thought only three Brown Hyenas were left.:confused:

20. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Before any carnivore spaces are used on "red wolves" there needs to be some consensus on them.