Join our zoo community

What animals would you exchange?

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by BeardsleyZooFan, 10 Nov 2012.

1. Gforrestersmith

Gforrestersmith Well-Known Member

If I owned a zoo I would exchange California Sea Lions for Florida Manatees.

2. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

I came up with another idea, I am not sure how plausible it is, but here I go

Mule deer for Visayan spotted deer (US to Europe)

Their are no longer any Mule deer in European collections, but living in Southern California we have plenty of Mule deer to spare, and I can think of many ways to source them, the thing is I am not sure how plausible this could be because Mule deer are of Least concern and Visayan spotted deer are an endangered species that is probably part of an EEP, but then again I am sure some European zoo enthusiasts would value a Mule deer

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Rather doubtful, being as we're only just beginning to get numbers up in Europe as it is - of the 28 collections holding the species in Europe, 15 have only just gone into the species in the past 5 years.

4. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

Thank you TeaLovingDave, I appreciate this info, I wasn't sure because they seemed relatively common in Europe and they seemed to have more of an extensive past history in captivity then Visayan warty pigs

5. 11jadaway

11jadaway Well-Known Member

England:
    White Rhinos for Sumatran Rhinos
    Asian Short Clawed Otters for Giant Otters
    Meerkats for Honey Badgers
    Siamangs for Bonobos
    Spider Monkeys for Drills
    This is purely my opinion!

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

UngulateNerd, I don't recall there being too many Mule Deer in captivity here to trade. Most would have to come from the wild.

~Thylo:cool:

7. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The first is not plausible. The second and third would never happen as both are common in the U.S. and you already have Honey Badgers and Giant Otters in the UK. You also already have Bonobos. And Drills like the Sumatran Rhino, is far too rare here for a trade to occur.

~Thylo:cool: