Join our zoo community

What are the approx prices of building the zebra, giraffe and lion enclosures?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by gowgrl, 13 Nov 2012.

1. gowgrl

gowgrl New Member

I'm doing an essay and I need to find out the approximate prices of building the zebra, giraffe and lion enclosures. I haven't found any luck so far, so if you could help me I would be grateful. Please provide links if possible :)

2. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Which zoo's enclosures are you talking about?

3. gowgrl

gowgrl New Member

Oh, I was sure I was in the Chester Zoo thread, yeah, Chester Zoo xD

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

So you have picked enclosures which all date back to the 1960's,all of which had the houses built from reclaimed,Cheshire Sandstone that George Mottershead picked up for peanuts when the buildings had been knocked down!!

5. gowgrl

gowgrl New Member

Oh damn! This'll make my essay a lot more trickier! xD

6. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you want to know current costs of building enclosures for these species, you'd be better off looking at zoos that have built them recently e.g Yorkshire Wildlife Park, but there are several other newish giraffe enclosures, Banham & Cotswold spring to mind.

7. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Here you go, have a look at this companies website Zoological Building Contractors | Construction | Design Build | Fit Out they carry out new construction works for various business’s including zoos. Give them a call and ask your questions, essay made easy, well hopefully easier for you.:)

There are probably several UK based builders who have zoo exhibit building experience out there lurking and waiting to be found.

Good luck.

8. ageruff

ageruff Active Member

They will only be able to give you a ball park figure for the building though. Hopefully this will be sufficient for your project but variable costs will include ground conditions effecting foundation requirements, contamination, water levels etc. Availability of utilities and infrastructure. For example is their a local power supply near by and does have sufficient existing capacity to meet the new demands. Life expectancy of the building. Hope that helps.

9. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

You guys are great.
    I read the initial post and thought "somewhere between GBP50 and GPB1,000,000 :p

10. jakethesnake

jakethesnake New Member

Lion enclosures are going to cost over $65,000 that's because they need the strong glass so that way the lions can't break it. Zebra and Giraffe enclosures are going to cost well over $100,000 because you need to have level grounding so that they aren't hurting themselves. I work at the Peoria Zoo and that's how much it cost us to buil AFRICA! Which the most money that was spent was on the Zebra/Rhino yard and the Giraffe/gazelle/gerenuk yard.