Join our zoo community

What are the best collections in Italy?

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Luca Bronzi, 12 May 2019.

1. Luca Bronzi

Luca Bronzi Well-Known Member

I can mention Oasi di Sant'Alessio,which has several rare birds like cocks of the rocks and birds of paradise.

Ned likes this.
  2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Have you been? We don't even have a gallery for it.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

We do, however, have a subforum for it - which make me suspect that the gallery might have been deleted at some point or other, whether accidentally or not.

- edit -

Found the gallery - for some reason it is located as a sub-gallery of a collection in Denmark, as are several other Italian zoos......

Luca Bronzi and FunkyGibbon like this.
  4. Luca Bronzi

Unfortunately I haven't visited it

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  5. Piko

Piko Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've been twice there (even if 10 years ago), I can confirm it's a nice collection, I'd also say Parco Natura Viva has a great collection, Bioparco di Roma has some pearls too, La Torbiera also, mainly endangered animals, Zoom Torino has some animals really hard to be found in Italy (Mhorr and Thompson gazelles, impalas, mongoz lemurs...), Le Cornelle collection is also big, Parco Zoo Punta Verde has a nice one too

Luca Bronzi likes this.
  6. Luca Bronzi

Where can I see the collection of La Torbiera?

I can also add Zoo delle Maitine,which has Plains viscahas,mona monkeys and Cape hyraxes

7. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Doesn't the aquarium in Genoa have some rare fish species, being one of Europe's largest aquaria and all? If anything, they have manatees.

Parco Zoo della Fauna Europea also seems to (if Zootierliste is somewhat up-to-date) have a couple of native species that are relatively uncommon in captivity.

8. Piko

La Torbiera has its own website (as almost every zoo)

Yes Genoa aquarium has a great collection, I didn't think about aquariums

Yeah there are places (even not good ones) that sometimes have rare species (like a zoo with one white bearded wildebeest, that is Parco Safari delle Langhe)

9. Marco Penello

Marco Penello Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Parco Safari delle Langhe is one of the worst italian zoos. I don't advice to go there if you want to see a good italian zoo. White bearded wildebeest can be found also in other zoos like Naples zoo, Safari Fasano and Pombia Safari Park...

Concerning the quality of the collections, I think that some rarities can be found at Parco Natura Viva, Le Cornelle and La Torbiera (maybe the most interesting collection for a zoochat member).
    Also Valcorba - near Venice - and Pistoia have some nice species and are growing.
    Sant'Alessio is very good if you are passionate about birds and, of course, Genoa is a great aquarium.

Luca Bronzi likes this.
  10. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I found Le Cornelle's collection outstandingly ordinary. There are a few somewhat unusual species (striped hyena comes to mind), cape giraffes are indeed rare and their big cat collection is solid, but the far, far majority of the zoo's collection consists of ABC species. It doesn't help that Le Cornelle seems intrinsically focussed on large animals.

Le Cornelle is not a great choice if you want rare species. It is a more than decent zoo however, although the appearent focus on aesthetics over animal welfare did bother me a few times.

Luca Bronzi likes this.
  11. Luca Bronzi

Naples zoo has these rarities:

White bearded wildebeest.
    Water false cobra.
    The only De Brazza's monkeys in Italy.
    Dama mesopotamica (a breeding group)

It isn't great,but probably the situation's going to change

12. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thought they are pretty common in Europe?

13. Luca Bronzi

They are.
    But in Italy only Naples zoo has them

Ah,and I forgot that Naples also has Turquoise and Bourke's parrots and the only Ceylon leopard in the peninsula, while Zoo delle Maitine has wild turkeys

14. Marco Penello

Marco Penello Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You are right, most of the zoo's collection consist of ABC species, but overall it is still one of the best of italian zoos. They have a very good big cats collection (Amur tigers, cheetahs, african lions, leopards of unknown origin, snow leopards - they had two beautiful cubs last year -, cougars and clouded leopards, that are very rare in Italy and you can find them only here or in La Torbiera). They have also a few rarities such as the striped hyena that you mentioned, the hyacinth macaws, the american flamingos -that are not common in Italy - and the only bongos in Italy.

15. Piko

I really don't advice visiting that zoo too, by the way I meant white-tailed wildebeest, I'm sorry

Zoom Torino is planned to grow in the next years too, they have found a new investitor