Join our zoo community

What are the best /most effective conservation organizations I never heard of?

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Daktari JG, 16 Sep 2018.

1. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Lay them on me. And yes I know you have no idea what I do or don't know, so spare me that observation please.

2. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I like the Nature Conservancy. I think Ducks Unlimited and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation are probably underrated by non-hunters. Just to be clear I’m not a hunter either, but the organizations do good work with habitat preservation

3. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Mauritian Wildlife Foundation has averted the possible or probable extinction of nine vertebrates, more than any other organisation as well as restoring areas of natural habitat..

The Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust with its successful conservation projects has championed many species including the Mountain Chicken, Pigmy Hog, Ploughshare Tortoise, Black Lion Tamarin, St. Lucia Racer, Whiptail Lizard and many, many more. The Trust is now extending its approach and rebuilding damaged habitats in ten sites as part of its strategy Rewild our World.

JVM, Pleistohorse and Swampy like this.
  5. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

The Endangered Primate Rescue Centre in Vietnam. They operate as a rescue facility but acknowledge that the species they rescue with are critically endangered and actually pair-up individuals and breed them at the centre. The animals receive expert care from a devoted group of Vietnamese and International zookeepers and the centre is based within a national park where the animals receive their natural native diets. Some species eventually establish enough breeding groups that they are moved to semi wild enclosures for gradual re-wilding. Its a model for how all rescue centres should operate and a wonderful place to visit. Endangered Primate Rescue Center

Neva and Pleistohorse like this.
  6. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

all good ones thanks. I had not heard of Aktuelles before