Join our zoo community

What are the most beautiful ungulate species in your opinion ?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 29 Oct 2020.

1. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sumatran rhinoceros
    Okapi
    Bongo
    Nyala
    Red-flanked duiker

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Vladimir Dinets claimed a sighting in 2018 if I remember correctly (might have been a camera trap rather than an actual sighting).

3. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Saola | Species | WWF says 'Saola are often caught in snares set in the forest for wild boar, sambar or muntjac deer'.

4. Luca Bronzi

Luca Bronzi Well-Known Member

Okapi,reticulated giraffe, montain nyala, giant eland...

5. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Gerenuk
    Okapi
    Rothschild's giraffe
    Moose
    Javan banteng

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

That is quite a shock, why is Robinchaud resigning ?

If anyone seemed invested in trying to conserve the last of the saola (if there are indeed any still extant) I would have thought it would be Robinchaud so I am quite suprised that he would be vacating that position.

Yes, I'm rather cynical about this issue of mascots too (even though I do like the idea, there are flaws to it). I mean in an ideal world this kind of designation and marketing of species to elevate their cultural importance would help their conservation.

Sometimes it would appear that this kind of marketing works at least in the sense of these animals becoming recognizable and valued by the general public (Panamanian golden frog, golden lion tamarin, axolotl, solenodon etc).

However, what can often happen is that this just turns into hollow marketing that isn't backed up by the real world long-term conservation actions necessary to keep a species from sliding to extinction.

I think it is a phenomenon that is particularly notable in East Asia / South-East Asia. For example, the baijii and all of the conservation marketing that surrounded that species comes to mind and I think the Saola could be another one.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2020
  7. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Argali
    Wapiti
    Blackbuck
    Okapi
    Przewalski’s Horse

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

For some reason I assumed you would have been a frequent visitor to South Africa and Africa in general.

I think both kudus are quite common within zoos aren't they ?

I have to admit that I'm a little cynical about claims made by Dinets as IMO he tends to jump to conclusions very quickly without really dispassionately analysing the data and being objective.

I've read about instances where he has suggested tool use among certain animal species based on purely annecdotal reports or his own sightings which make his claims even more suspect IMO.

I think there was historically once a time that they were often being caught in snares set for other species as this is how they were discovered by science.

However, I don't think this is the case anymore as the deaths of these animals would have been reported back to conservation groups which have quite a good presence and "intelligence network" within the region.

Alternatively, perhaps they are just in such low population densities and limited to such restricted and limited ranges now that they are seldom caught in traps.

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for the reply @nczoofan !

The Nyala is a very handsome antelope, I agree. I love the striking differences in appearance / sexual dimorphism between the males and females of the species.

The gaur is also an impressive looking beast (always look like they are on steroids or something) I've seen it a couple of times in zoos but for some reason I get the impression that it isn't very commonly kept.

The situanga is an interesting one too, I find the males to be a bit drab but the females are gorgeous with that red fur and the distinctive stripes.

Thanks for the reply @Mai Thai !

That is an interesting choice, why do you find this species the most beautiful ? Is it the appearance / golden pelt or the possible mythological / cultural significance of this ?

Have you seen this species in captivity or the wild ?

Incidentally, I dont think I've ever seen this species in captivity.

10. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I will quote myself from Saola thread, about the latest evidence:

11. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No one mentionned Markhors?

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for your comment @CheeseChameleon2007 !

Sumatran rhino is a very curious species and I think if we have a more expansive definition of beauty then it could certainly be considered as beautiful too.

The okapi I agree is a very beautiful and elegant species, I remember watching these at ZSL a year ago and really admiring how striking they look.

The water deer is an interesting one, a gorgeous species and quite strange too with those big vampire looking tusks too.

The wildebeest, I personally don't find to be aesthetically beautiful (but beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder / subjective anyway) but they are very interesting animals indeed.

Thanks for your comment @TinoPup !

Quite a lot of species you have mentioned there so I'm going to have to challenge you to have a think about it and pick five of these that you find most beautiful or interesting. ;)

13. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Well you have mentioned the markhor now :) so tell me what do you find beautiful about this species ?

Have you seen it in captivity or the wild ?

14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for your comment @Tim May !

That is an interesting list, so I'll focus on a couple of the species that you find the most aesthetically beautiful.

I think the Zebra duiker is indeed one of the most beautiful and curious looking of the ungulates and they actually always remind me of the thylacine with those strange stripes on the lower half of their bodies (accentuated by their long faces and russet coloured coats too).

The African water Chevrotain too is also a very striking animal (reminds me much of the paca here in the Americas) with those gorgeous markings and it is an ungulate that has an overall delicate beauty about it. I actually think that the Tragulidae are the most beautiful of all the ungulates.

Prince Alfred's deer are beautiful cervids indeed and so distinctive looking in comparison to all the other deer species IMO (perhaps unsuprising as they are an island endemic). Very concerning about the situation facing them in conservation terms too.

Tim May likes this.
  15. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What species, out of curiosity? I tend to think the lack of trust for anecdotal evidence is one of the biggest problems with wildlife study today. Not saying we should trust all of it, but I think more thought should be put into it than most scientists tend to (In the Company of Bears by Benjamin Kilham talks a lot about this).

16. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Male are pretty impressive, nice horn shape, nice beard. Very charismatic.
    Only seen them in captivity, and only saw the heptneri subspecies.

Two a bit less popular really nice species are the Erlanger's gazelle, the darker coat than usual makes for most of its beauty and Beira for its elegance.

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for your comment @ChunkyMunky pengopus !

I can quite see why you find the okapi beautiful as it does have that sort of chimeric that you mention that seems to combine striking species like the zebra and giraffe. I think this (and their comparative fairly recent historic discovery) is why they make for such popular animals in zoos and have a sort of mystical aura that surrounds them in popular culture.

I agree with you about the Przewalski's horse and I find this a very striking species indeed. Whenever I see them in zoos I am immediately reminded of the images of horses I've seen in prehistoric (Magdalenian) cave painting sites that I have visited in Northern Spain like Tito Bustillo and La Peña de Candamo and think of how deeply symbolic the horse has always been within human culture and imagination (even prior to its domestication).

I'm also very fond of tapirs and I also find the Malayan tapir a very striking and interesting animal (shame they are not more widely known and appreciated as they have the same colours as the panda and are far more endearing in my opinion) so can definitely understand why you find them beautiful. :)

CMP likes this.
  18. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I can't remember off the top of my head but I think it was specifically about crocodiles and particularly the Cuban crocodile (which is an incredibly intelligent and interesting species anyway even without supposed "tool use" which is probably a false hypothesis) and the mugger crocodiles of India "using tools".

I think he has also said the same about many other species of mammal and reptile too multiple times and based on very scant or flimsy evidence to support such claims.

I don't know the guy but I just find that sort of courting of controversy for the sake of publicity and making claims based on annecdotal / insufficient evidence to be very suspect and sort of irritating too.

19. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No one mention it yet, but I think oryx are quite beautiful. They have long horns, and the colour palette is quite nice with the face pattern.

20. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

And thank you for replying! I guess I should elaborate a bit more on why some of these animals are beautiful in my opinion. I personally find the Sumatran rhino surprisingly the most beautiful out of all the rhinos, mainly because I adore prehistoric woolly rhinos, and this is the closest thing that we have of them today. Also, their different eyes/irises are just so understandable. I feel like when I'm looking at a picture they are staring back at me. I like the okapi, particularly because any part of the body could be its own painting, its that beautiful in its ornate colors and mish mash of different ungulate patterns, its pretty! I personally find the water deer beautiful Because of its fangs particularly. I think adding fangs on to a deer makes it look more majestic and intimidating, and something that you wouldn't want to hurt. Its a pretty remarkable animal. And The wildebeest is mostly because of nostalgia, because I thought their silvery manes and horns were the coolest thing ever, and I think if you really looked at one up close you would really see the beauty in the animals face and body. Some people think they looks menacing, but I personally find them more
    Intimidating, and majestic.