Join our zoo community

What are the most common zoo animals (Google Sheets)?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by DandyInSpace, 12 Mar 2022.

1. DandyInSpace

DandyInSpace New Member

What are the most common zoo animals?

I have been working on this personal project for a while. I have tallied animals according to how often they appear on zoo websites, for over 50 zoos. The attached link will bring you to my Google document where you can suggest changes.

If there is an animal you have seen at a certain zoo that I missed, or a zoo to include that I haven't done yet, please let me know.

I hope you find this useful!

- DandyInSpace

2. DandyInSpace

DandyInSpace New Member

3. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's a great start, but that sample size is minuscule. In the USA alone, there's 800+ total zoos and aquariums. Worldwide, I'd guess 5,000+. Zootierliste (english version: ZootierlisteHomepage) is great for this sort of info about european zoos and a few other countries, but it is all user-submitted, so things are rarely perfect for individual places. The USA has no such database for several reasons (you can look up the threads on this), but there's a few ways to get a general idea. There's been a thread on this before that has some numbers. I have spent a great deal of time putting together lists for carnivores and ungulates, and have some of those numbers in the thread. Non-mammals are much harder to track, since they get mentioned less and change hands more easily, but several members have made attempts at lists for those as well. Take some time to get to know the forum and read threads around here :)

Most common species in Zoos?

4. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, it's definitely an interesting idea but there's a few things here...

Many zoo websites are notorious for still listing species they do not have, or in some cases never have had. As it is I'm already skeptical of the entire document as there are several major errors I've already seen by a quick run-through:
    Bronx's last Maxwell's Duiker died in 2015 (and afaik they do not keep Green Acouchi either.) In the same vein Bronx has not had Sumatran Rhino in many years, the species has been absent from North America for nearly a decade.
    Saiga have not been at either San Diego facility for some two decades. They also do not keep Red-shanked Douc and have not in years. They have never to my knowledge kept Bottlenose Dolphin - the page in general is labeled cetacean I believe. San Diego also does not keep African Leopard, Florida Manatee (never), or Giant Panda (any longer, lost them last year).
    Jabiru, I'm unable to get the document to show me where you list, but assuming it is DWA, the last bird is no more.
    Similarly if your Guanay Cormorant listing is at Bronx, those birds too are gone.
    And too the Hawaiian Short-eared Owl is gone if LA's.
    Philippine Eagle now held by Jurong.
    All "Bengal Tigers" outside India are either hybrids or mislabeled other subspecies.

Well... I could give you probably 50 species with lists of more than 75-100 holders right off the bat, I know of more than 130 holders of Bald Eagle in North America alone for instance. San Diego's tallies are way off just from what bits I can see.

Um, it's a good start but I am sorry to say it is very full of errors... The idea is good but unfortunately using zoo websites is not the best way to be accurate on this.

If this project is important to you, you might want to keep it to your editing access only to avoid accidental misformatting and other issues.

Sorry this is only your second response here on the site.

TinoPup and IndianRhino like this.
  5. cloudedleopard611

cloudedleopard611 Well-Known Member

This is super cool, thank you!

6. CrashMegaraptor

CrashMegaraptor Well-Known Member

Whilst there are a few issues as already covered by other users, at an initial glance, the list doesn't appear too inaccurate - at least on the basis that the animals listed as most common seem to make sense, even if the exact numbers might be off.

7. Jambi

Jambi Well-Known Member

You've got a massive task ahead of you if you intend on continuing this, but what you've done so far is pretty good. On my personal Zoo Life List I have a section for species I've seen at more than one location, and I've noticed a lot of parallels with that and your lists, ring-tailed lemurs and meerkats are all the way at the top for mammals.