Join our zoo community

What are your favourite rodents ?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 5 Jul 2021.

1. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There is, not sure what they have going for them but they are definitely a highlight of any zoo visit. And I don't even get bored of seeing the local greys, I find them absolutely fascinating to watch. I also think they look more intelligent than other rodents. Yeah, I know that's anthropomorphising them slightly but the humble squirrel looks like it could take on (and beat) any cavy-like species in a game of chess... :p

I don't think eradication of the grey would be possible now, they're far too widespread and I doubt you could do it effectively without harming other wildlife. It looks like they're here to stay whether we want them or not.

Have to disagree there. I think the North American Red Squirrel is quite an attractive animal but the Eurasian Red just looks a bit tatty and unkempt in comparison. I'm going to put that down to personal preference though! :p

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I love squirrels of all types, they’re definitely my favorite rodents. They’re just so active, visible, and filled with personality. I’ve never seen a wild squirrel that wasn’t jumping or running or climbing or doing something.

3. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Capybara.

I like them because they're the biggest ones.

4. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

I am interested and like most rodents.
    I don't normally see too much variety, but porcupines, specifically prehensile tailed ones are very cool.
    I like my pet hamster very much and squirrels of all types are fun to watch, especially ground squirrels as they don't go about chewing flowers, pots, and other random things around my backyard like the grey squirrels. Grey squirrels are still fun to watch though.
    Mole rats are also interesting especially from their hive mind behavior.
    I find capybaras to be pretty boring, and to me the convergent evolution of cavies and maras are much more interesting.
    I'd also love to see flying squirrels, giant rats (I'm grouping in Malagasy, Cloud rats, etc.) and small mice one day.

5. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

To be honest, after thirty-six years, I cannot recall exactly which Clore Pavilion exhibit housed the red-and-white giant flying squirrel but that biilding has changed so much, I very much doubt that the squirrel's exhibit is still in use.

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Haha well to some extent it's almost impossible to escape some anthropomorphism so totally fine and interesting to hear.

Definitely agree and I think they do look intelligent if filled with a sort of nervous frenetic energy and I think it is that fast paced constant motion of being active that is probably what draws people to them.

Yeah lol they certainly would take down a capybara at chess.

You could be right about that as they have spread and colonized the UK very effectively and any effort to erradicate them would require both alot of money and time and of course the political will and popular support of the population.

Lol well I think both reds look much better than the gray squirrel but the species that I think is probably the winner for me in terms of looks would be the chipmunk.

Birdsage and Brum like this.
  7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for sharing @birdsandbats !

Another squirrel fan :D they definitely seem to be firm favourites.

Do you have a favourite squirrel species in particular ?

8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't have any particular favorites - there are just so many species. I like the color of Prevost's, but I don't think I'd call that my favorites. Of the species I've seen in the wild, I enjoy seeing American Red Squirrels and Harris's Antelope-Squirrels the most. The red squirrels are always so active (and kind of cute) and the antelope-squirrel just looks so at home in the desert.

I would have mentioned Southern Flying Squirrels if they didn't have that annoying habit of dropping acorns on the heads of people below.

9. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm not really big into rodents, but would say my favorite rodent is the North American Beaver. So fascinating to see the incredible construction work they do and the incredible influence they have on ecosystems.

10. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think crested porcupines (indian, african, and/or cape) are neat and the most relatable of all rodents along with maras. Porcupines are just repelling whether they intend to or not despite not looking ugly nor ferocious. Maras look like hoof stock giving them a flighty aura.

Otherwise I love rodents everyone else here has mentioned from a "basic" chinchilla to to mysterious pacarana.

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for sharing Neil !

Beavers are fascinating rodents I agree.

Especially their role as ecosystem engineers in their native range in North America and Europe which is mind-blowing in it's impact on other biodiversity.

Neil chace likes this.
  12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for sharing @PossumRoach!

That's quite an interesting perspective on the porcupine and I think it's pretty cool that these rodents often hold their own against carnivores like leopards or lion.

Even if a porcupine meets it's end when attacked by a predator the quills can remain lodged in an attackers paws and quite literally ruin their own chances of survival and impact their well-being.

It may be anthromorphic but I tend to think that if possible it would often be the porcupine that would get the last laugh and I suppose that is cool and quite unique amongst the rodents that are prey for pretty much everything.

13. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ground squirrels! Zoos typically keep black-tailed prairie dogs, but there are many other species of prairie dogs, marmots and sousliks, and some are threatened.

They are obvious candidates for zoo stars, with their habit of standing upright. They are perfect additions to any exhibit focused on Himalayas, Asian steppes or any open habitat of the northern hemisphere, or a children zoo. There are even prairie dogs in a walk-through exhibit (Rotterdam), public feeding of marmots (Pyrennees animal park), escaped prairie dogs living freely on bison paddock or zoo lawns, escaped ground squirrels living free (Poznan Nowe Zoo), and wild ground squirrels colonies running on grass lawns and paths (Assiniboine Park Zoo).

At least zoo curators who want to try new rodent species are not usually hindered by CITES restrictions and Balai vet directive.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2021
  14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for the comment @ChunkyMunky pengopus !

Totally agree with you about the prehensile tailed porcupine very interesting and unusual species.

Also agree that mole rats and their social behaviour is interesting but on a superficial level I think they look nightmarish.

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for the comment @Jurek7 !

That's an interesting choice and I agree that the ground squirrels occupy a lot of different habitats and regions of the world so can be used by zoos for all sorts of exhibits.

Are marmots commonly exhibited in continental European zoos and do you have a favourite exhibit of these ?

16. Onychorhynchus coronatus

No problem Tim !

Yes it's a long time ago now and I imagine that London zoo has changed hugely over the years.

17. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not very common, mostly in local fauna wildlife parks. In Innsbruck they are in a walk-through aviary with bearded vultures and smaller birds. In Munich they are in a large open paddock shared with Southern chamois. Also, in at least one place in Switzerland (Saas-Fee) there are tame wild marmots on the outskirts of a village.

I do not have a favorite marmot exhibit - I imagine it would be simply a large grassy meadow, maybe walk-through.

Marmots

18. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I saw a picture of that enclosure at Innsbruck before in the gallery and was really impressed quite a strange mix too with the vulture (biogeographically accurate though).

Last edited: 7 Jul 2021
  19. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Like basically everyone I really like squirrels, though I have a hard time picking my favourites among them. One time in Tierpark Berlin I saw Himalayan striped squirrels, which struck me as particularly handsome, but I like most of them.

Besides squirrels, I'm also quite fond of many of the small mouse species. Especially the more social species like grass mice, spiny mice or (probably my favourite) harvest mice can make really compelling zoo exhibits. Lots of room, lots of objects for them to explore and interact with and a large group of a diurnal mouse species basically guarantees a huge amount of activity.

20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for your comment @Mr. Zootycoon!

Squirrels definitely seem to be the most popular rodents it seems which is really interesting.

Totally agree with you about mice they are engaging animals and exhibits at zoos and activity is assured.

I also think it is quite good to display them for educational purposes considering that they are prey for many species and illustrate the food chain very well.